PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You be the GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats try and sign Delanie Walker. Coming out of college he was a WR. He put up a 4.49/4.53 at 242 lbs for the Combine/Pro Day when he came out. He's a legit 6'1 and lined up at receiver quite a bit. He'd be a good complimentary guy as the 3/4 WR. Or he could be used in Multi-TE sets.

Compare a 3/24/20 deal with a 5/40/20 deal (with $8M salaries for the last two years). Which do you think is better for the patriots?

The clear answer is that LONGER deal is better for the patriots since it allows some of Welker's compensation to be moved to Year 4 and Year 5. Of course, Welker is unlikely to play those years; but no matter, if he is able, the patriots have rights to him for $8M.

If I were Welker, I would want 2/20/20 or perhaps 3/27/20.

I would agree with your aav at 8 million per year, and I would also agree with your guaranteed money, but I doubt that he'd come close to seeing the length of the 5 yr deal at the same time.

Getting closer to the Official Start of Free Agency, this would be my dream scenario for signings/re-signings:

(number in brackets is estimated 1st year cap hit)

Re-Sign
WR- Wes Welker- 3yrs 27mil (7mil)
WR/ST- Julian Edelman-?
RB- Danny Woodhead-?

Sign FA
CB- Nnamdi Asomugha- 2yrs $10mil (4mil)
CB- Chris Gamble- 2yrs $10mil (4mil)
DE- Dwight Freeney- 2yrs $10mil (4mil)
SS- Adrian Wilson- 2yrs $4.5mil (2mil)
DT-Glenn Dorsey- 1yr $1mil (1mil)

That's about $22mil in cap hit before Edelman and Woodhead, so it should be reasonable from a cap perspective. I think these moves would really allow us to have a lot of freedom in the draft, with only WR as an obvious need. We get depth, talent and experience in the secondary, both at CB and SS. We add a veteran pass rusher who could be potentially dominant opposite Chandler Jones on passing downs. And we get a lottery ticket in Dorsey, who if he has a bit of that spark he had at LSU as a 3-tech left in him, could be a steal as an interior D-lineman.

With so many older DBs hitting the market, the idea of signing two of them instead of a Talib or Grimes is becoming more interesting to me. "Could you get an Asomugha and Hall for the same price as just Grimes?"

That's the type of question that's begun percolating in my "GM" mind.

With so many older DBs hitting the market, the idea of signing two of them instead of a Talib or Grimes is becoming more interesting to me. "Could you get an Asomugha and Hall for the same price as just Grimes?"

Isn't Hall garbage? I thought I just read somewhere he was one of the few DBs in the entire league to give up 1000 yards receiving. That's pretty awful.

I also think that's the way to go, and have been speaking of improving the entire corps of the secondary rather than simply worry about who will be the new CB1, since often times the ideal plan ends up reverting to plan B anyway.

Improving the competition and talent could go an awful long way at being able to have more key guys in place, much like Talib provided for us at the end of the year. However, should one go down, we'd have sufficient talent and depth available to continue the same kind of scheme and play without too much of a downfall.

FWIW--Bedard's reporting along with someone else (I only skimmed the article) that the team wants to get something done with Talib. If that's the case I would still think that they'd be in play for an additional move of a recognized reputation and name, possibly in both CB/S positions.

Isn't Hall garbage? I thought I just read somewhere he was one of the few DBs in the entire league to give up 1000 yards receiving. That's pretty awful.

I just picked two names as an example of the question type. Asomugha/Reed could have been used, etc....

I'd personally prefer that they address safety via the draft, but the concept of doubling up on the older vets remains appealing because I'm not as sold on Talib as many others seem to be.

Hall has certainly had his moments of sucking and playing well, and would certainly be a controversial move. Perhaps Deus is just using his name as an example. (EDIT:Sorry, he answered that as I was typing my response)

That said, I believe that Talib was another one who gave up yardage of that nature either this year or last, but I can't remember for certain. Do you know where to find a quick link? I checked FootballOutsiders the other day, but I don't remember seeing a breakdown of specific CB's.

We might consider a budget of ten million or so to replace Talib and Arrington. Replacing them with three older vets makes sense to me.

I just picked two names as an example of the question type. Asomugha/Reed could have been used, etc....

I'd personally prefer that they address safety via the draft, but the concept of doubling up on the older vets remains appealing because I'm not as sold on Talib as many others seem to be.

We might consider a budget of ten million or so to replace Talib and Arrington. Replacing them with three older vets makes sense to me.

Unless BB has lost his mind, I doubt Talib + Arrington will be that close to 10mm.

My guess is that Talib will get $7M-$8M and Arrington will get $2M-$3M. We'll see.

And as you say, Belichick may willing to pay this much for these players.

Unless BB has lost his mind, I doubt Talib + Arrington will be that close to 10mm.

My guess is that Talib will get $7M-$8M and Arrington will get $2M-$3M. We'll see.

And as you say, Belichick may willing to pay this much for these players.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay Arrington that, for sure.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay Arrington that, for sure.

I could easily see 2--2.5 million as a reasonable expectation for a slot CB like Arrington. It's the 7-8 million for Talib that I couldn't envision.

I could easily see 2--2.5 million as a reasonable expectation for a slot CB like Arrington. It's the 7-8 million for Talib that I couldn't envision.

Arrington is a slot cornerback only, as he's arguably our worst defensive player when lined up on the outside. To give a player with such a limited skillset anything close to 3 million a year would be downright ludicrous. They could very easily grab a cornerback in, say, the third round who could do Arrington's job at an adequate level while making peanuts.

It is much more ridiculous to believe that a rookie third round nickel back will effectively play over half of the defensive reps for a championship team.

Arrington is a slot cornerback only, as he's arguably our worst defensive player when lined up on the outside. To give a player with such a limited skillset anything close to 3 million a year would be downright ludicrous. They could very easily grab a cornerback in, say, the third round who could do Arrington's job at an adequate level while making peanuts.

Eh, I don't know. I think given the glut in the CB market it might be worthwhile to seek out an upgrade at that price point.

Our worst defensive player would be the CB#4, Cole, and he pretty much **** the bed against the Ravens.

Arrington played well in the AFCCG, and he is excellent in the slot. Everyone's darling Victor Cruz couldn't shake him in the Superbowl. If I were GM, I'd keep Arrington as the permanent slot corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents