PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You be the GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
This free agency period worries me this is a crucial year for the Patriots and a lot of critical decisions in important positions.
First on the list is Welker I like Welker I do I value him more than a anquan Boldin or a Greg Jennings even.
Brady has a 6th sense where he will be and gets the ball there.
Its hard to put a price tag on that.
I will attempt to however 17.5 million over 3 yrs 10 mill guaranteed.

Then you have Sebastian Vollmer if we are saying Tom is the guy for the next 5 yrs or so we need to limit his hit exposure.
Breaking up contunuity in the offensive line sure doesnt solve that.
4 yr contract 5.5 mill a year 8 million guaranteed.

Julian Edelman now I will admit I am a bigger fan then most of the guy he is versatile in the receiving and kicking game and my biggest concern is we haven't tapped his full potential and he goes to a rival like the Jets or Steelers and we pay for it
So 3 yrs 9 million 3.5 mill guaranteed.

Danny Woodhead is a hard one for me I love the kid he is elusive hard worker and a true underdog.
2 yrs 6 million . 1.9 guaranteed.

Aquib Talib this is a very tricky one.
On one hand he has the size and ability to dominate his man.
On the other he had lingering issues with his hip and past off the field issues.
I say 6 mill max and I'm almost hesitant to give him anything more then 2 yrs and I have a lot of language in my contract that protects me on and off the field.

This free agency period worries me this is a crucial year for the Patriots and a lot of critical decisions in important positions.
First on the list is Welker I like Welker I do I value him more than a anquan Boldin or a Greg Jennings even.

Then you have Sebastian Vollmer if we are saying Tom is the guy for the next 5 yrs or so we need to limit his hit exposure.
Breaking up contunuity in the offensive line sure doesnt solve that.
4 yr contract 5.5 mill a year 8 million guaranteed.

Julian Edelman now I will admit I am a bigger fan then most of the guy he is versatile in the receiving and kicking game and my biggest concern is we haven't tapped his full potential and he goes to a rival like the Jets or Steelers and we pay for it
So 3 yrs 9 million 3.5 mill guaranteed.

Danny Woodhead is a hard one for me I love the kid he is elusive hard worker and a true underdog.
2 yrs 6 million . 1.9 guaranteed.

Aquib Talib this is a very tricky one.
On one hand he has the size and ability to dominate his man.
On the other he had lingering issues with his hip and past off the field issues.
I say 6 mill max and I'm almost hesitant to give him anything more then 2 yrs and I have a lot of language in my contract that protects me on and off the field.

How much are you paying these guys on the side?

I will let others decide whether this can be done but a good scenario imo would be the following. Re-sign Welker, Edelman, Vollmer and Woodhead, and sign Freeney and Hartline in free agency. Draft Tavon Austin or Keenan Allen in the first and either Elam, Eric Reid, or David Amerson in the 2nd, then go DL and interior OL with the remaining picks. This would address their pass rush, WR, and secondary issues and the re-signings and free agents should be able to get done under the 25 million they have to spend.

* It may well take a move up to get any of those secondary players listed in the 2nd but i would make the move.

Jennings does not interest me only receivers i want to see the Pats target.
1. Harvin, This is the most difficult player to land but it is doable.
Offer the Vikings our number 1 this year yes our number 1 for Harvin a third and a 5th.
This gives the patriots more mid picks where there will be quality lineman and defensive back help.
This guy does it all routes, speed, intelligence, no off field issues.
Super versatile, this would be the bow on Brady's gift from the Pats.

2. Wallace, Speed Speed Speed that kills in today's nfl and he has plenty of it
Homerun threat everytime he touches the ball is more versatile then given credit for
Has taken some handlers and reverses.
His best football Maybe in front of him.
Why it wouldnt happen he would immediately be the top paid player in our offense.
Its a lot to invest in a deep threat guy does not run precise routes.
A me 1 st player.

3. Bowe, has he been franchised yet?
If he makes it to free agency we will have all the info we need on him from Daboll enough said.

4. David Nelson most realistic option will be incredibly affordable we targeted him before he played well against us. Big redzone target willing blocker solid hands fights for balls.

5. Danny Amendola at times looks like the most dominant receiver on the field.
Fantastic route runner almost a Welker clone in this category solid hands good at making the first guy miss full report from Josh.

0% possibility of this happening, he's worth well more than 3x this amount. 5/40/20 guaranteed would be a great deal for NE.

I don't think Welker should look to break the bank he should want s championship as much as Tom and co does more even because he has gotten to the big game so many times and was a part of a crushing loss.
We can't stand pat here pun intended we need to improve not trot the same team we did last year. We need more weapons for Tom and Wes should want to be apart of a winning team not squeeze out more income then he will ever spend.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
The #Chiefs have not tagged LT Brandon Albert or WR Dwayne Bowe. Luke Joeckel will be looking for good BBQ recommendations.

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/308683895149314048

That sound you hear is Dolphins fans breaking out the jergens and Chiefs fans loading their revolvers.

ChiefsPlanet - View Single Post - Chiefs Franchise tag deadline is tomorrow at 3pm.

Note: At least one guy (some unknown without cred) on Twitter is saying that the Chiefs did tag someone...

Edit: Matt Miller's cred just crapped the bed....

Chiefs didn't use tag on WR Dwayne Bowe because they didn't have to. Chiefs and Bowe have reached agreement on a five-year deal.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/308685115041665024

Bowe is off the market.

Also, Albert was tagged and they signed their punter to a deal.

I don't think Welker should look to break the bank he should want s championship as much as Tom and co does more even because he has gotten to the big game so many times and was a part of a crushing loss.
We can't stand pat here pun intended we need to improve not trot the same team we did last year. We need more weapons for Tom and Wes should want to be apart of a winning team not squeeze out more income then he will ever spend.

5/40/20 is a home town discount for Welker, he shouldn't be expected to play for pennies on the dollar just so patriot fans will be happy. This deal would still give them plenty of room to add and improve while maintaining one of the best offenses in NFL history.

You can't sit here and force everyone to give a discount just because Tom did, Welker played from 2007-2011 under a contract that completely mocked what he's done for the franchise. The money he made last year was over half of his entire 5 year contract he played under. The man deserves to be paid. I'm also not suggesting we pay for his past performance, but I don't see him losing a step at the moment and he's done nothing to make me think he will over the next few seasons. He's not a player who has ever relied on being physically gifted like the Randy Moss' of the world.

I just can't stand people demanding other players take a discount because one did. It's so arrogant. Brady is the extreme exception in the NFL when it comes to contracts, he's played under market value voluntarily for all but 3 or so years.

You can't sit here and force everyone to give a discount just because Tom did, Welker played from 2007-2011 under a contract that completely mocked what he's done for the franchise. The money he made last year was over half of his entire 5 year contract he played under. The man deserves to be paid. I'm also not suggesting we pay for his past performance, but I don't see him losing a step at the moment and he's done nothing to make me think he will over the next few seasons. He's not a player who has ever relied on being physically gifted like the Randy Moss' of the world.

I just can't stand people demanding other players take a discount because one did. It's so arrogant. Brady is the extreme exception in the NFL when it comes to contracts, he's played under market value voluntarily for all but 3 or so years.

I don't have a problem with people hoping for a home town discount and i actually think welker would give them one but the deals that some people have brought up, for 16 million etc are crackhead deals that Welker would never sign and shouldn't ever sign. if he hits the open market he's getting at least 40 million and he's well worth it.

5/40/20 is a home town discount for Welker, he shouldn't be expected to play for pennies on the dollar just so patriot fans will be happy. This deal would still give them plenty of room to add and improve while maintaining one of the best offenses in NFL history.

I would agree with your aav at 8 million per year, and I would also agree with your guaranteed money, but I doubt that he'd come close to seeing the length of the 5 yr deal at the same time.

That seems about what it will take. If 4/32 would get it done, it would be awesome, but I'm not sure that's in the cards. It's in the details, though. You want to structure it so he can be cut after 3 years without crushing you, which means a good amount of salary up front and maybe approaching $18 million in cap hits for the first couple of years. Can the Patriots afford that? They also would want to do that so that aren't taking a $12 million cap hits on Welker in 2015 when Brady's cap number gets up there too.

Then Welker should blame his agent.

Welker is aging. He should get a 5 year deal for $37.5M, with $15M guaranteed - $3M for each year, so he could be cut after 3 years at a cost of $28.5M ($6M of it due over the next two years), which is the most likely outcome.

BB has to address the cap, the state of the team now, and in the future. He can't afford to give out sweetheart deals unless you want a second rate team.

Not sure I agree with you about physical gifts. Welker's short-area quickness is tremendous. He can't hold on to that forever.

Anyone who had "signed" Hartline will have to make some changes:

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Dolphins have agreed to terms with receiver Brian Hartline.

It’s a five-year, $30.775 million contract, with $12.5 million in fully-guaranteed money.

Dolphins keep Brian Hartline | ProFootballTalk

$6 million a year for him....

Not sure I agree with you about physical gifts. Welker's short-area quickness is tremendous. He can't hold on to that forever.

Here's the problem with Welker, compared to, say, a Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin. Those guys are very big and strong. When they lose a little quickness or straight-line speed (which in Boldin's case has definitely happened already), they are still big and strong.

Welker is small and not very fast, but he is really quick. When he loses that quickness, he'll be small, not very fast, and not very quick. That would not be good, but it still might be acceptable if he was incredibly sure-handed. Well, we see him that way of course, but the reality is that he's become somewhat drop-prone.

(Stats are from: Drops - 2012 NFL Season Statistics)
Year - Targets - Receptions - Drops - Drop % (drops/targets)
2007 - 145 tar - 112 rec - 4 drops - 2.76%
2008 - 149 tar - 111 rec - 4 drops - 2.68%
2009 - 162 tar - 123 rec - 6 drops - 3.70%
2010 - 123 tar - 86 rec - 13 drops - 10.57%
2011 - 172 tar - 122 rec - 5 drops - 2.91%
2012 - 174 tar - 118 rec - 10 drops - 5.75%

2007-2009 - 456 tar - 346 rec - 14 drops - 3.07%
2010-2012 - 469 tar - 326 rec - 28 drops - 5.97%

So in the past three seasons, on the whole, he's started to drop a LOT more passes than he used to. I know we can quibble about that ill-fated play in SB 46...the pass wasn't great, but Welker certainly *could* have had it. But he didn't.

The point is, that when Fitzgerald or Megatron or Boldin slow down, they are still big, strong targets and they can still be very effective. This includes blocking in the running game. If/when Welker slows down, he loses his biggest advantage. His other big advantage - his sure hands - already seems to be slipping, based on the number of drops he's had the past 3 seasons.

The key for Welker is maintaining his uber-quickness. Once that's gone, he will probably be more of a liability than an asset.

For what, passing up on a dogsh.t offer from the Patriots?

If 2 years at 8M per year is dogsh.t then sign me up.. Seriously, do you think before you post?? That offer was the best that Welker was gonna get.. He might have gotten a 3 or 4 year deal, but it wouldn't have been more than 8m Per and he'd be looking at potentially getting cut this year.. Just look at some of the guys who signed last year and have already been cut. Cullen Jenkins. Aaron Ross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents