PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You be the GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly, the Broncos are franchising Clady, but they're using the non-exclusive tag....

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/307619791374528512

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/307619793635254273

I'm actually wondering if Baltimore won't end up using the regular tag on Flacco, contrary to popular belief. Of course the restructured deals of Brady and Roethlisberger helped lower the number of the exclusive tag a bit, so that may come into effect in tempting them further.

Brees has been the only player to ever have the exclusive tag right? I'm not surprised that DEN chose to use the regular one on Clady. Even if someone would step in and offer him something they'd still receive 2 first round picks in compensation.

I think there is a somewhat limited group of NFL players who would command 2 first round picks as compensation, so I'd expect most teams to continue using the regular tag as in past years. Most teams aren't going to part with 2 first rounders, and it's certainly much more cost effective.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw they struck a deal.

Report: Ravens, Flacco strike a deal | ProFootballTalk

Bad news for everyone who wanted to cut Brady and go after a younger QB... ;)

But..but..but, I thought the Ravens were in "cap hell" and currently in "re-building" mode after a total gutting of the team. :rolleyes:

So, as it stands they are about 20 million under at the moment, and I'm guessing that the Flacco year one hit certainly won't be more than about half of that. That leaves them approx. 10 million or so to work with, with Kruger, Ellerbe, and Reed. (They also have to tender their RFAs, but if the Flacco year one hit is less than my estimation, and it very well could be, that may even be included for at least Pitta)

Of course they could cut Jacoby Jones and free up another 4 million+, so that may come into play.

At the end of everything, their major losses could be J.Jones and one of Ellerbe/Kruger. Like I said the whole time, much ado about nothing. Anyone who honestly thought they were going to pay Flacco that much money only to rip apart his most reliable receiver in Boldin was totally fooling themselves.

But..but..but, I thought the Ravens were in "cap hell" and currently in "re-building" mode after a total gutting of the team. :rolleyes

Suggs' teeth are cap hell.

If the pats keep lloyd and jacoby jones is cut, the pats should look at him. David nelson is 6' 5 so he may also be a deep threat option.

If the pats keep lloyd and jacoby jones is cut, the pats should look at him. David nelson is 6' 5 so he may also be a deep threat option.

Like I said I think many of us are open to the option of bringing in lesser known players who wouldn't cost as much as a potential deep threat or WR3/4 etc.

Where you are getting tripped up is your suggestion that any of these players could really replicate what Llyod did as a WR2. That's why there is so much of a debate in keeping/cutting Llyod. None of these options are going to be viable #2 candidates, and when you factor in the money it makes the situation even more difficult.

Suggs' teeth are cap hell.

That would help to explain why his mouth is always wide open in fly catching mode. I would bet that he's caught 1,000s of insects in that trap.

Like I said I think many of us are open to the option of bringing in lesser known players who wouldn't cost as much as a potential deep threat or WR3/4 etc.

Where you are getting tripped up is your suggestion that any of these players could really replicate what Llyod did as a WR2. That's why there is so much of a debate in keeping/cutting Llyod. None of these options are going to be viable #2 candidates, and when you factor in the money it makes the situation even more difficult.
Those 2 arent his repleacements, they are meant to be situational deep threats, like devery henderson. But I think a guy like bey could replace lloyd

I hear what you're saying Captain, definitely don't want to overspend here. I think Freeney is a 50/50 player that some still think can produce for us, while others feel like you.

Personally I think if we're only going to offer him a minimum vet deal then we may as well just not offer him anything because there will definitely be a team or two that overspends.

I do think that he can offer something, but the money in question is the obvious dealbreaker. I wouldn't mind seeing him come in on a fair price, I just don't think that's going to happen. I'm guessing someone still throws 3-4-5million per at him myself.

With Abraham now on the market, whom would you rather have, and at what price?

With Abraham now on the market, whom would you rather have, and at what price?

This is a tough question. I think they are both probably going to be overpaid by someone else. If it came down to it, I may be more inclined to take Freeny myself, although it's one of those questions that will depend on personal preference.

I think something in the 3--3.5 million range would be fair, but that's just my opinion. My concern is that someone will overpay them both just due to reputation alone.

According to Spotrac, the Pats now sit at:

$ 96.089M in active contracts (top 51)
$ 4.638M in dead money
$101,447M
$ (5.600M) available rollover
$ 95.847M total cap hit

$123.900M (projected cap now)
$ (95.847M)
$ 28.413M available to spend

A total of 53 players are under contract.

Two of the four guys making $405k (Armstead, Ebert, Robertson and Vega) don't count.

This is a tough question. I think they are both probably going to be overpaid by someone else. If it came down to it, I may be more inclined to take Freeny myself, although it's one of those questions that will depend on personal preference.

I think something in the 3--3.5 million range would be fair, but that's just my opinion. My concern is that someone will overpay them both just due to reputation alone.

Age is a big concern with Abraham. Freeney is younger and people are worried about his age.
Also, it was reported that the Falcons let Abraham walk because while he got sacks, he failed to get consistent enough pressure.
That isn't the description of the guy I'd like us to get.

Ok, some "reasonableness" questions:

(WR) Welker - $6,500,000 (cap hit on a 3-4 year deal averaging about $8 mil)
(WR) Edelman - $1,500,000
(RB) Woodhead - $1,250,000.00
(OT) Max Starks - $2,000,000
(TE) Michael Hoomanawanui - $715,000

If anyone thinks one or more of those aren't reasonable, please let me know. Also, if you do think they are unreasonable, offering high/low of your perceived notion of reasonable would be appreciated.

If anyone thinks one or more of those aren't reasonable, please let me know. Also, if you do think they are unreasonable, offering high/low of your perceived notion of reasonable would be appreciated.

Woodhead seems a bit low.

Edelman and Woodhead will both earn 2+, particularly Woodhead.

I use andy's method and consider net cap, so in that context your numbers are about right. Ultimately, Each player listed replaces a $500K player (perhaps a bit lower). So, Edelman total cap cost of about $2M seems about right.

In the case of Hoomanawanui, he might actually sign for what you state. For this weekend, I think he'll be tendered. In any case, he really isn't a net cost at all since either Fells or Hoomanawanui will be cut in preseason.

With Melton out and other top FA passrushers looking unlikely/one trick pony-ish, I think the first round pick is going to Kawann Short, one of the better interior pressure DTs if he gets by Seattle. If not, Sylvester Williams it is.

Second round goes to Hunter or equivalent with third goes to the best CB available. In this model, the team was planning on a first round WR. Therefore, Lloyd will stay if this team cannot get a surefire WR stud.

With Hix gone, the team is extremely thin on tackles, with two starters, Cannon and the unknown Zusevics. Knowing this, it seems certain that Cannon will NOT be a guard. Vollmer will probably also stay.

With Cannon out of the mix at guard, seems unlikely the team will cut Connolly, and I would be happy if Thomas was kept. A round 7 prospect can be thrown in there for good measure.

DON'T SWEAT THE LATE SEASON STUFF

A) After the draft, we need to sign our rookies. We will need to pay for the two players not now included in the cap, plus any added to IR. There's the Practice Squad to pay for. And finally, there is an in-season reserve.

B) The good news is that a late restructure or two covers all these costs.

C) So my BOTTOM LINE is not to worry about these things. We have over $24M t- $25M to spend. Jason's numbers are certainly close enough to use.

D) Of course, some small portion of this money is needed for late additions during camp.

E) We should also expect a couple of million to go JAG additions to fill out the roster. In the end, this makes little difference since any major additions should be based on a net cap effect basis.

In this model, the team was planning on a first round WR. Therefore, Lloyd will stay if this team cannot get a surefire WR stud.

I think the main problem with Llyod is that he's due a bonus that pays him 3 million dollars, so this makes the decision and gamble even harder to try and predict.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we can wait until the draft before making that decision, unless I am misunderstanding you.

With Cannon out of the mix at guard, seems unlikely the team will cut Connolly, and I would be happy if Thomas was kept. A round 7 prospect can be thrown in there for good measure.

I love these thoughts, and I agree. There's nothing to really show us that Belichick and Scharneccia want Cannon as moving to the interior, at least not yet, so many are assuming--possibly incorrectly.

The case of Hix was unfortunate, but he's gone to IR the past 2 yrs with shoulder issues, so that really hurt his chances and development.

I want Thomas to stay also. In 7 games he only gave up 1 sack, and he seemed to do well in the run blocking aspect. Hopefully the price is right and he is retained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes