PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the most embarrasing/infamous Patriots player ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also believe that Parcells purposely didn't dress the best players the Pats had on that team. Most notably, Troy Brown and Sam Gash.

Ah, yes - the Fred Smerlas invented myth which Troy has only refuted probably 1000 times in the past decade. Here's ne example:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/super/2002-02-01-brown-bonus.htm

Brown remembers that day well for a reason beyond Howard's big plays: He didn't play because of a hernia, the only game he missed that season. "I was just in too much pain to play," he recalls. "It's definitely a sweet feeling to get back. Barring any injuries during practice, I'll finally fulfill a dream to play in the Super Bowl. Hopefully we can win the thing."

Last edited:
We've had some pretty 'infamous" moments mentioned, but I am surprised that this one hadn't been mentioned yet.

I have to say that THIS was the most embarrassing and infamous moment in Patriots history, imho.

Bill Parcells negotiating and signing a contract to take over the Jets prior to the Pats playing the Packers in the SB. I still believe that Parcells purposely made changes in the game plan that allowed the Packers to win that game. I also believe that Parcells purposely didn't dress the best players the Pats had on that team. Most notably, Troy Brown and Sam Gash.

Well, Parcells was not a big fan of Troy Brown. He did cut him that preseason (or was it the year before?) only to resign him when they were really thin at WRs. I think that was a case of Parcells refusing to realize what he had in a player.

I thought Gash was injured. Parcells did make a point to single out Gash after winning the AFCC.

Personally, I don't think Parcells gave his best effort because he was distracted with negotiating with the Jets, but I think he has too much pride to purposely tank the Super Bowl.

Mowatt/Kiam gets my vote - and I'm going to say that Kiam bears more guilt because (a) he was in a position of responsibility and (b) he had time to think about how he was going to handle the incident before the reporter asked him the question.

All the other answers are great too. How far this team has come since the dark days of Sullivan, Kiam and Orthwein. Hail Kraft!

I thought Gash was injured. Parcells did make a point to single out Gash after winning the AFCC.

Gash was hurt in December and missed the entire post season.

Ah, yes - the Fred Smerlas invented myth which Troy has only refuted probably 1000 times in the past decade. Here's ne example:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/super/2002-02-01-brown-bonus.htm

Brown remembers that day well for a reason beyond Howard's big plays: He didn't play because of a hernia, the only game he missed that season. "I was just in too much pain to play," he recalls. "It's definitely a sweet feeling to get back. Barring any injuries during practice, I'll finally fulfill a dream to play in the Super Bowl. Hopefully we can win the thing."

Honestly, its the first I have heard that Brown had a hernia.

Well, Parcells was not a big fan of Troy Brown. He did cut him that preseason (or was it the year before?) only to resign him when they were really thin at WRs. I think that was a case of Parcells refusing to realize what he had in a player.

Personally, I don't think Parcells gave his best effort because he was distracted with negotiating with the Jets, but I think he has too much pride to purposely tank the Super Bowl.

Gash was injured during the season, but not put on the IR. He has said, numerous times, he didn't understand why he wasn't dressed for the game.

As for Parcells having too much pride, your statements are contradictory imho. If the guy has that much pride, he wouldn't have been negotiating with the Jets PRIOR to the season being completed.

I agree with these comments, except for the dissing of Sullivan.

Mowatt/Kiam gets my vote - and I'm going to say that Kiam bears more guilt because (a) he was in a position of responsibility and (b) he had time to think about how he was going to handle the incident before the reporter asked him the question.

All the other answers are great too. How far this team has come since the dark days of Sullivan, Kiam and Orthwein. Hail Kraft!

Gash was injured during the season, but not put on the IR. He has said, numerous times, he didn't understand why he wasn't dressed for the game.

As for Parcells having too much pride, your statements are contradictory imho. If the guy has that much pride, he wouldn't have been negotiating with the Jets PRIOR to the season being completed.

I will give you a little bit of that. Parcells has ego and pride and impatiences. I can't see him purposely tanking a Super Bowl (the guy is concerned about his legacy), but I can see his ego so bruised with the whole Terry Glenn thing that he was reckless enough to negotiate a contract with the Jets the week of Super Bowl.

As for Gash, I wouldn't believe a player when he is saying that he is ready. It was the Super Bowl and Gash might have thought he was healthy enough to play, but wouldn't think that if it was a normal game. Parcells really liked Gash. I doubt he would have deprived him what might have been his only shot at playing in a Super Bowl just to get back at Kraft. If anything, he would have dressed him and played him only a handful of plays just so he can have that memory. Luckily for Gash he got to play for the Ravens their Super Bowl season.

Manny Ramirez selling his neighbors barbaque........oh yeah, that was the Red Sox :D

We've had some pretty 'infamous" moments mentioned, but I am surprised that this one hadn't been mentioned yet.

I have to say that THIS was the most embarrassing and infamous moment in Patriots history, imho.

Bill Parcells negotiating and signing a contract to take over the Jets prior to the Pats playing the Packers in the SB. I still believe that Parcells purposely made changes in the game plan that allowed the Packers to win that game. I also believe that Parcells purposely didn't dress the best players the Pats had on that team. Most notably, Troy Brown and Sam Gash.

i read all the thread and i agree with you. also for me that was the worst.

A little revisionist history? Troy Brown was an eighth round pick and special teamer.

He had more catches in 1997 under Parcells than he did under Carroll.

No coach at that time had an inkling what Brown would become, unless they were clairvoyant.

If Brown was so obviously destined for stardom, why didn't anyone else pick him up? I believe he was cut twice.

Last edited:
Well I have only been a fan sence 93 so I would have to say eaither the stage diving incodent, or Tuna calling terry glenn "she"

Irving fryar smashing his car into a tree at half time of a game ranks up there, he also almost cut his finger off with a kichen knife a few days before the super bowl in 86

This would be my choice...didn't his wife attack him with a knife. I believe he was also involved in the marijuana investigation that came to light after the Super Bowl.

Despite the fact that the Patriots were having a very good year, you just never knew what Irving would do.

This would be my choice...didn't his wife attack him with a knife. I believe he was also involved in the marijuana investigation that came to light after the Super Bowl.

Despite the fact that the Patriots were having a very good year, you just never knew what Irving would do.

That was a wacky year (1986, right?). For much of the season they looked unstoppable, and then injuries absolutely killed them. I think they won 7 in a row and then lost to the Bengals very late in the season. They had that great hail mary ending in L.A. against the Rams that year and then some kind of crazy finish the next week. I also remember that they had ZERO running game that year. And who could forget clinching the AFCE against the Fins in the Orange Bowl, where Grogan came in for an injured Eason and led them to victory in a back and forth game. I would like to forget that Broncos playoff game, though.

That was the first season I was a truly passionate fan, as you might guess.

i do not agree too on Sullivan. He should be not in the list at all, imho.

That was a wacky year (1986, right?). For much of the season they looked unstoppable, and then injuries absolutely killed them. I think they won 7 in a row and then lost to the Bengals very late in the season. They had that great hail mary ending in L.A. against the Rams that year and then some kind of crazy finish the next week. I also remember that they had ZERO running game that year. And who could forget clinching the AFCE against the Fins in the Orange Bowl, where Grogan came in for an injured Eason and led them to victory in a back and forth game. I would like to forget that Broncos playoff game, though.

That was the first season I was a truly passionate fan, as you might guess.

Hmmm, I wonder why?

Sometimes statistics don't tell the tale, but what happened here? (note the guy with 5.0 avg. had 1 carry).

Tony Collins | 16 | 163 657 4.0 3 | 52 549 10.6 2 |
| Greg Hawthorne | 15 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 3 42 14.0 1 |
| Craig James | 16 | 263 1227 4.7 5 | 27 360 13.3 2 |
| Mosi Tatupu | 16 | 47 152 3.2 2 | 2 16 8.0 1 |
| Robert Weathers | 16 | 41 174 4.2 1 | 2 18 9.0 0 |
+----------------------+----+-----------------------+------------------

Tony Collins | 16 | 156 412 2.6 3 | 77 684 8.9 5 |
| Reggie Dupard | 6 | 15 39 2.6 0 | 0 0 0.0 0 |
| Greg Hawthorne | 14 | 1 5 5.0 0 | 24 192 8.0 0 |
| Craig James | 13 | 154 427 2.8 4 | 18 129 7.2 0 |
| Mosi Tatupu | 16 | 71 172 2.4 1 | 15 145 9.7 1 |
| Robert Weathers | 5 | 21 58 2.8 1 | 1 14 14.0 0 |
+----------------------+----+-----------------------+----------------------+
sihannah.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, I wonder why?

Sometimes statistics don't tell the tale, but what happened here? (note the guy with 5.0 avg. had 1 carry).

Tony Collins | 16 | 163 657 4.0 3 | 52 549 10.6 2 |
| Greg Hawthorne | 15 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 3 42 14.0 1 |
| Craig James | 16 | 263 1227 4.7 5 | 27 360 13.3 2 |
| Mosi Tatupu | 16 | 47 152 3.2 2 | 2 16 8.0 1 |
| Robert Weathers | 16 | 41 174 4.2 1 | 2 18 9.0 0 |
+----------------------+----+-----------------------+------------------

Tony Collins | 16 | 156 412 2.6 3 | 77 684 8.9 5 |
| Reggie Dupard | 6 | 15 39 2.6 0 | 0 0 0.0 0 |
| Greg Hawthorne | 14 | 1 5 5.0 0 | 24 192 8.0 0 |
| Craig James | 13 | 154 427 2.8 4 | 18 129 7.2 0 |
| Mosi Tatupu | 16 | 71 172 2.4 1 | 15 145 9.7 1 |
| Robert Weathers | 5 | 21 58 2.8 1 | 1 14 14.0 0 |
Why didn't they give Greg Hawthorne more carries??? Stupid Berry.

Maybe not the most embarrassing figure, but I think he ought to be mentioned:

Joe Kapp.

Oh, and wait!

Although he never played for the Pats, how about Ed Marinaro?

"Sure, I'd like to play for the Patriots for a year before moving on to professional football."

(Response to a reporter's question on whether or not he'd play for the Pats if drafted by them.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes