PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Penalties - Patriots most penalized in AFC East

goheels22002

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If the Zeke Elliott TD wasn't called back on the Hunter Henry hold, the Patriots win that game against the Oakland Raiders (yeah, whatever, they'll always be the Oakland Raider in my grim and insecure world.) We would be in a different frame of mind and looking ahead to a 13-4 romp to the playoffs. Or I would be.

Anyway the Patriots have been flagged 39 times in six games for a total loss of 297 yards (not including the result of the play.) The Patriots are the 11th most penalized team. Interesting that in the games the 1-5 Patriots have played thus far, the opponents have been penalized two more times. The plus 2 in penalties against is right in the middle of the pack in the NFL, so it's not a conspiracy to get us (or is it?)

Anyway, the least penalized team in the league with six games played is the Jacksonville Jaguars with 28 and the most penalized team is the Dallas Cowboys with 46. See This chart from NFLPenalties.

We're so used to a disciplined team that can overcome penalties that two big things are not reflected in the stats, 1) the Patriots make far too many mistakes pre-snap like penalties for motion, delay of game and formations. Those penalties and stupid time outs for too many men on the field are entirely unnecessary and dig holes this team is not good enough to overcome. And, 2) how many times have we seen a good play negated by a holding call, illegal block or lineman downfield that rob a good player a big catch or first down and suck the life out of this team?

So much of the mess is the result of lack of focus. In my experience these problems are shared by the coaches and the players. If this team could play a clean game they can run with anybody. There's no margin for error in 2023.

Of course they are.

Some real sloppiness for sure, no doubt. And it gets worse when the team doesn't win, or believe in the program (and the QB). They are not dialed in, they get more frustrated, have less patience or perseverance, etc.

I do think some of the penalties are only being called because they are a bad team though. The Refs like punishing teams that aren't good.

Some real sloppiness for sure, no doubt. And it gets worse when the team doesn't win, or believe in the program (and the QB). They are not dialed in, they get more frustrated, have less patience or perseverance, etc.

I do think some of the penalties are only being called because they are a bad team though. The Refs like punishing teams that aren't good.
That Henry hold call was ticky-tack at best.

This Team has no leader.

Usually that guy is your QB and his leadership or lack of leadership resonates to all aspects of the team. The whole team typically has the upmost respect for that guy. Opposing players around the NFL also gives props.

The HC can only do so much.

This has been a constant theme since 2020, too many dumb penalties and mistakes. Bill just can't get his guys to focus like he did during the dynasty. That's why I've been saying for several years it's time to move on from Belichick, not only for his disastrous GM decisions but because a 70+ yo HC just can't reach these 20-something yo players, especially w/o the older dynasty players around to help out. There's no leader in the locker room that can help Bill reach these guys.

This Team has no leader.

Usually that guy is your QB and his leadership or lack of leadership resonates to all aspects of the team. The whole team typically has the upmost respect for that guy. Opposing players around the NFL also gives props.

The HC can only do so much.
The other players seem like they're pretty much done with Mac. Hunter Henry with his palms up after Mac's interception a couple weeks ago. David Andrews response to being asked what they need to do to get on track "Stop turning the ball over". Parker's ridiculous "fingertips" comment. Seems like a lot of guys are done with Mac and likely over it as far as the season goes already. I think within the next month we will see some guys pull an Isiah Wynn and go on IR with something minor and never play again. They're close to checking out and with games against two of the best teams in the conference the next 2 weeks it could get ugly.

Sow is the only one to help Mac up after a couple second delay. The rest of the line wanders away or just stares.

It’s totally cool because they “work hard”. Can’t bench the entire team.

Any time you see this discussed re any team, the blame is attributed to "bad coaching." Seems about right, eh?.

Before reading this thread I knew for certain that 1 of 2 posters would blame the penalties on Mac. I wasn't wrong.
I agree. There have been a couple of Delay of Game calls where he seemed clueless that the clock was winding down. But so much of the pre-snap stuff with the line is just guys not being in synch and lack of concentration.

The other players seem like they're pretty much done with Mac. Hunter Henry with his palms up after Mac's interception a couple weeks ago. David Andrews response to being asked what they need to do to get on track "Stop turning the ball over". Parker's ridiculous "fingertips" comment. Seems like a lot of guys are done with Mac and likely over it as far as the season goes already. I think within the next month we will see some guys pull an Isiah Wynn and go on IR with something minor and never play again. They're close to checking out and with games against two of the best teams in the conference the next 2 weeks it could get ugly.

Sow is the only one to help Mac up after a couple second delay. The rest of the line wanders away or just stares.

Of many Belichick ****-ups leading up to the season and in the season, the biggest one is gotta be sticking with Mac.

How can the players take him seriously about doing what's best for the team or being accountable when your 'supposed' leader can play like crap with impunity?

But...but David Andrews said they had a good practice last week.:rolleyes:

Of many Belichick ****-ups leading up to the season and in the season, the biggest one is gotta be sticking with Mac.

How can the players take him seriously about doing what's best for the team or being accountable when your 'supposed' leader can play like crap with impunity?
I think Bill has done far, far more damage to the team with his hopelessly incompetent "roster building" since 2017 or so. Mac is what he is, and he is more or less what we thought he was, nothing more, alas, but not much less either. He's not good enough to succeed with this absolute crap roster: few are.

Andrews & Blob Brown just walk away, the two veterans on the OL that game... Says something, either about them or about Corky.

And as far as the penalties go? That shows a lack of discipline; but without leadership there can be no discipline... Therefore it's really a lack of Leadership that's the cause of all these penalties.

Last edited:

They did help him up...just not fast enough? What kind of take is that?

Shades of the "Brady's body language" era.

They did help him up...just not fast enough? What kind of take is that?

Shades of the "Brady's body language" era.
It was a bit delayed and the team captain (and the only one who has won before) just walked away.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back