PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slater staying on in spiritual advisor role?

mike_usagisan

Staff member
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Slater, just like many of his former teammates, arrived to One Patriot Place on Monday for the start of voluntary offseason workouts. He strolled in, Bible in hand, ready to take on a new, somewhat unidentifiable, role with the Patriots.

Patriots safety Jabrill Peppers revealed Tuesday that Slater has been retained as an “advisor.”

i dont see the need. and I am a matthew slater fan... but (there is always a but, isn't there?)... we don't need preachers

we need guys like steve mcmichael who used to prowl the combat zone til the wee hours of the morn...

need some 'tude back...

i dont see the need. and I am a matthew slater fan... but (there is always a but, isn't there?)... we don't need preachers

we need guys like steve mcmichael who used to prowl the combat zone til the wee hours of the morn...

need some 'tude back...
Given the propensity for young athletes with money to make AWFUL life decisions (guns, racing, drugs, women, etc.) I see enormous value in having a Matt Slater in the building. Mayo’s desire to “build men” requires high-character mentors to be around who aren’t just talking X’s and O’s

Given the propensity for young athletes with money to make AWFUL life decisions (guns, racing, drugs, women, etc.) I see enormous value in having a Matt Slater in the building. Mayo’s desire to “build men” requires high-character mentors to be around who aren’t just talking X’s and O’s
i just spent the past year being lectured to about how the old fashioned ways don't work anymore... that you cant reach the kids that way...

cant beat em, join 'em

i just spent the past year being lectured to about how the old fashioned ways don't work anymore... that you cant reach the kids that way...

cant beat em, join 'em
Slater is a tweener…young enough to reach em, old enough to have learned the lessons.

Exactly. Even if I wasn't a religious person having a grounded, wise person like Matthew Slater accessible and someone to confide in isn't a bad thing.

I’m torn. I love me some Slater. But I hate the entire preacher in the locker thing. It’ll be an unpopular take, as I know the US is one of the most churchy countries in the world, but I’d pass on that role, if indeed it IS his role.

I feel like I remember some Patriots players saying that the organization offered services like this, to build discipline in areas where they've otherwise gone unchecked throughout their lives.

If you listen to any podcast of a retired player, they talk about how important routine and rigidity in schedule is to them, and it makes sense. Anything that helps foster that in a healthy way is a service worth offering. I'd imagine Slater would be one of the best to advise, given his experience as a player.

I’m torn. I love me some Slater. But I hate the entire preacher in the locker thing. It’ll be an unpopular take, as I know the US is one of the most churchy countries in the world, but I’d pass on that role, if indeed it IS his role.

I'm not super into the whole preacher position, I'm also not religious. But football players tend to be VERY into their church and relationship with religion. I'd pass if I were in the locker room, but if some people feel fulfilled by it, go for it.

Not sure if it's an actual religion-based role or if he's more of a general character mentor/advisor who will touch on religion without it being the whole schtick. As @Vindicate said, football players do tend to skew heavily religious (largely coming from southern states).

To me this is a no-brainer. Slater was looked up to by everyone in the locker room as a moral compass. I had concerns that losing him would have an impact.

Not sure if it's an actual religion-based role or if he's more of a general character mentor.
Good questions all…

“He strolled in, Bible in hand, ready to take on a new, somewhat unidentifiable, role with the Patriots.”

cant beat em, join 'em

So fewer chaplains and more fall guys is what you're saying?

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Matt 'Easterby' Slater, give him a few years and he'll be staging a coup in Houston

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back