PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who has Belichick let go who did well after departing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last Patriot player that left and played so well it really made me mad we let him go was Curtis Martin in 1997. People need to relax.

Damien Woody played well in Detroit after he signed a big contract. That was an amicable parting, but still a cap casualty.

Damien Woody played well in Detroit after he signed a big contract. That was an amicable parting, but still a cap casualty.

It was win-win. They didnt pay a stupid contract and drafted Koppen and won the next two Super Bowls.

I got one....

FANOONY!!@ WE LET FANOODLES GO!!! BAD!!! REAL BAD!!! SKY FALLING!!! PATRI-BAWK BAWK BAWKS!!!

This thread is totally irrelevant.

Wes Welker is still incredibly productive at his position. He is now earning $6 million a year to catch balls for Peyton Manning.

This is a bad move.

This is a bad move.

This COULD be a bad move...unless you have the stock market figures at close tomorrow and the powerball numbers

Sean Morey and Robbie Gould both made the Pro Bowl in their post-Patriots careers. :)

Samuel
Law
Seymour
Spires
Vinatieri

Those spring immediately to mind

Other than Spires, who just didn't fit the system, none were as good after leaving as they were here. I realize that wasnt the question, but it is germain.

Maybe in a few years. Difficult to have much confidence in the proposition that Amendola outperforms Wes next year. If not, Patriots got worse next year and saved essentially no money.

They definitely saved money on the 2013 cap.
I wouldn't count on who will produce what until you see what role they are in, and in any event numbers aren't really the end of the story.

No one can give the Patriots what Welker did, whether they put up the stats or not. Welker was the centerpiece of the passing game. The play calls, route trees, and personell groupings revolved around Welkers role. Defenses gameplanned around Welker first, and his role dictated coverages.
The results were phenomenal.
Amendola will not just step in Welkers shoes, he will have his own role.
Whether that results in more or less production is almost secondary to how the change in scheme to a Welker-less offense affects the passing game and the overall offense.
Theoretically it was a double step backward. But, given the wear and tear and age on Welker and the hints at decline, the step backward was coming, if not this year, soon.
Only time will tell if different is better.

It was win-win. They didnt pay a stupid contract and drafted Koppen and won the next two Super Bowls.

Already had Koppen. And only Super Bowl Winning Team he wasn't on was 04.

Ty Law he let go and had one good year with Jests, 10 int.

And a thousand inteference penalties ... Because he weighed 300 lbs. :bricks:

Some of the guys still produced fine, but not at the rates they were given IMO and it's hard to regret any of them leaving. Even Seymour who did quite well at first had alot of complaints from Oakland fans last couple seasons. Law had alot of picks in '05 but Jets fans and others who watched him more closely than I told me that was not a marker of his effectiveness, and he committed alot of costly penalties. Not the guy he was before the lis franc injury.

Asante was not worth and didn't live up to his Philly contract, was eventually driven out, but he may be the exception in the sense that I somewhat regret BB didn't go after him last season when he was available. The rest of the guys, I have zero regrets about.

Vinatieri did fine but he and Ghost are a wash if anything since the move. Hard to regret that.

My my how different the 1st Giant SB game would have been with a FG from Adam Vinatieri instead of a 4th down incompletion in Giant territory because the HC had ZERO confidence in his FG kicker Stephen Gostkowski and never tried for those extremely valuable 3 points.

Ty Law had a couple of pretty darn good years after leaving. (weakness the team has never solved)

Asante Samuel has played pretty darn well since leaving. (weakness the team has never solved)

And how about the flip side???

Horrendous track record of FA signings.

Keep sippin' dat kool-aid. :rolleyes:

Steve from Fall River ... is that you?

Got signed for a very large contract at the time, which his play did not justify.

Surprised that BJGE barely gets mentioned. Did a lot this past season, a lot of new career highs and the funny thing is he has more runs of 20 yards and 40 yards than Ridley had. Go figure.

Asante and Seymour have both been very productive, albeit overpaid, since they left. BJGE had a pretty good year for the Bengals, and Brandon Tate was a good kick returner for them as well. Cassel made a Pro Bowl in KC, Watson's had some good years in Cleveland, Koppen just had a good year for Denver, Butler was better for Indy than some of the guys we were playing in the early part of the season. Jeremy Mincey has been good for Jacksonville, etc. In short, there's a lot of guys.

Samuel
Law
Seymour
Spires
Vinatieri

Those spring immediately to mind

Samuel - a great ballhawk and zone pass defender, but also among the worst CBs in the league in run support and tackling. He's another guy who is a good player, but one with flaws and certainly not worth all the money he got from the Eagles. Just ask an Eagle fan. I don't regret not matching that absurd contract offer he got.

Law - had 10 picks with the Jets but had Jet fans moaning about his coverage the rest of the time. The Jets were so impressed with his 10 pick season, they let him go after it.

Seymour - Played decently in Oakland...when he was on the field, but never came close to playing to the level of the absurd contract he received. His play has regressed to the point where he'll end up being a June FA pick up for someone looking for a below $2MM run stuffer.

Spires - Now that one is a stretch - He did have a nice career after he left the Pats. He even had an 8 sack season one year for the Bucs, but didn't average 5 sacks of the rest of his career after the Pats. Just because he played in the league after the Pats didn't mean e excelled

Adam - He comes the closest, but his replacement has done just as well.

Like in most of the decisions BB has made since he's been here, he's usually right. Not every time, but MOST of the time. I expect Welker to be Welker in Denver 80-100 catch, depending on how often they throw it to him. Just because he does well, doesn't mean BB made a mistake. If the Pats offense remains in the top 5, then he didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News