PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who has more upside, Mac Jones or Jordan Love

Mac10 laughed at me when I said after his rookie season I'd still trade Mac for Trevor Lawrence straight up. Lol

I would have traded Mac Jones for Trevor Lawrence straight up last season. Not so sure I would trade Mac for Purdy. Not sold on Purdy. Virtually everyone other than Trey Lance looks good in that system with those receivers.

Personally, I think if Shanahan stuck to his guns and drafted Mac Jones, Jones would be a rising star in the league right now.

I would have traded Mac Jones for Trevor Lawrence straight up last season. Not so sure I would trade Mac for Purdy. Not sold on Purdy. Virtually everyone other than Trey Lance looks good in that system with those receivers.

Personally, I think if Shanahan stuck to his guns and drafted Mac Jones, Jones would be a rising star in the league right now.
My guess is that even though Shanahan made the trade to take Mac, ownership wanted Trey Lance instead because fans would be more excited (and they were excited). Mac looked too much like Garoppolo Part 2.

Hurts’ development hasn’t been all that rapid for the people who have been following him since his senior year in high school or since he arrived at Alabama.
Hurts was almost traded, suddenly a bright light went on to provide him some guys.. whataya know.. he showed what he could be with guys on the outside.

You wonder if another storied franchise with a young QB would come up with that bright idea !

Bingo!! Absolutely agree 100x over. Shanahan IMO is probably the best offensive mind in the NFL. I believe Mac bounces back this season! I think in the near future Mac will be with Shanahan! Just my gut feeling.

I'd say Mac was a much better college QB, vs much tougher competition. In Mac's last year, they played an ALL SEC schedule, which is tougher than the usual schedule Alabama plays (therefore way tougher schedule than Love played his last year), there's usually some easy games thrown in against non SEC teams. But because of covid, it was an all SEC schedule. And what did Mac and the Tide do ? They went 13-0 and went on to win it all. Mac had an incredible year, and was spectacular in the NCAA Championship game, breaking the championship game record for yards (by 1 yard, set by Joe Burrow the year prior) and tying the record with 5 TD passes.

I wish Mac had Tom Brady here for 2 years like Love had Rodgers. That being said, it's going to be interesting to see how both do in their careers. Love certainly has some excellent young talent around him, drafted the last 2 years, and should be around him for some time. Mac has 2 TEs who are talented, but will be free agents next year (one of the reasons I was screaming for them to draft a TE in such a DEEP TE draft in 2023). Bourne will be a free agent as well. Only Parker, Thornton, Douglas and Boutte have contracts for next year.

I'd say Mac was a much better college QB, vs much tougher competition. In Mac's last year, they played an ALL SEC schedule, which is tougher than the usual schedule Alabama plays (therefore way tougher schedule than Love played his last year), there's usually some easy games thrown in against non SEC teams. But because of covid, it was an all SEC schedule. And what did Mac and the Tide do ? They went 13-0 and went on to win it all. Mac had an incredible year, and was spectacular in the NCAA Championship game, breaking the championship game record for yards (by 1 yard, set by Joe Burrow the year prior) and tying the record with 5 TD passes.

I wish Mac had Tom Brady here for 2 years like Love had Rodgers. That being said, it's going to be interesting to see how both do in their careers. Love certainly has some excellent young talent around him, drafted the last 2 years, and should be around him for some time. Mac has 2 TEs who are talented, but will be free agents next year (one of the reasons I was screaming for them to draft a TE in such a DEEP TE draft in 2023). Bourne will be a free agent as well. Only Parker, Thornton, Douglas and Boutte have contracts for next year.
This is actually a fantastic point. Garropollo *did*, and as much as people **** on him, he's well-respected, and has had a pretty decent career.

And didn't have anywhere close to Mac Jones' potential.

Great post, I'll add that Mac was on a great trajectory prior to last season. Likely Mac does not trust BB as he did as a rookie coming into the league. The damage from last season has a lasting effect on Mac and the franchise. IMO I like Mac, and I believe he has a solid season 20 plus TDs 8 INTs.. going forward unless he's franchised I don't see him getting that 200 million contract he'd command in NE.. I just don't see them paying at the QB position like the rest of the league has.

My guess is that even though Shanahan made the trade to take Mac, ownership wanted Trey Lance instead because fans would be more excited (and they were excited). Mac looked too much like Garoppolo Part 2.

I do think the overwhelming negative 49ers fan reaction to Mac Jones before the draft swayed them to go in a different direction. Lance was way too boom or bust to go that high. And he was more likely to be a bust from the start.

It is weird though. Lance is shaping up to be the worst draft bust in NFL history and virtually no one is talking about it. They literally used three first round picks for a QB who may never start more than a game in their career for them. Meanwhile the Dolphins got Waddle, Hill, and Chubb for the pick used on Lance. Imagine the 49ers with those three players and then they would have been able to trade Deebo and gotten another first and probably more.

I've been thinking about this thread for a couple of days. The best response I can think of is "Unfortunately, I have no idea. I wish I did." In part, this reflects what an utter waste of time last year was for everybody. We didn't learn nuthin' about nuthin'.

is anyone listening to ANYTHING a braindead blind bat 49er fan says? About ANYTHING???? Piles of excrement blocking city sidewalks...passed out junkies ****ting and pissing on themselves...open looting, mayhem and city approved anti-social behavior...ex cons attacking and beating and robbing and MURDERING elderly Asian Americans everywhere in the Bay area...and someone is LISTENING to THESE ultra morons> I'm surprised the 9ers didn't draft some ****ing transgender steroid freak to play assback.

Whether or not Jones is here, he will likely still be a starter in 2025. I think he will be better than he was his rookie season this year. And even if it is only slightly better, that is good enough to start in this league.
Honestly, I can see that. My point was really that he’s just mid.

Where is Sam Bam???

rocket power nicksplat GIF

Love already answered it in the preseason game. It was just a matter of putting it altogether in the regular season

Which he has. While also playing with a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players

Jordan Love looking like he's gonna have a playoff win so....

Imagine being the Packers....looking like they're fielding a 3rd franchise qb in a row. They're who we thought we were gonna be post Brady

Mac Jones. Anyone who couldn’t see that this season doesn’t know **** about football. The arm, the physique, the athleticism, the ability to extend plays and throw off platform when the play breaks down, the grit and toughness, the extraordinary football IQ. Don’t even know why this question is even being asked.

going on a limb and say Jordan Love here

but he does love (pun unintended) throwing on his backfoot.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back