PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would our record be without Patricia?

I posted this in another thread. On Sunday, 22 of 23 plays under center were running plays and 80% of the shotgun plays were passes.

It is quite an innovative idea to totally telegraph the play based on the formation. Most OCs would try to mix it up to try to trick opposing defenses, a true offense genius knows if you let opposing defenses know if you are running or passing, they get scared because they feel you don’t care if they know the play.
Those numbers aren’t accurate. There were three play-action passing plays from under center.

Those numbers aren’t accurate. There were three play-action passing plays from under center.

Are you sure that two of those play actions weren't in shotgun?

Are you sure that two of those play actions weren't in shotgun?

Yes, a guy on reddit watched these specific plays after this same quote gained traction there. I can see how the Mac scramble would be confusing (it was still obviously intended to be a passing play), but I don’t understand how either of the other two would have been missed.

2nd & 12 at NE 22 (2:10 - 1st) M.Jones pass short left to R.Stevenson to NE 23 for 1 yard (L.Masterson).

2nd & 4 at NE 42 (14:17 - 3rd) M.Jones scrambles right guard to NE 47 for 5 yards (R.Teamer).

1st & 10 at LV 35 (13:13 - 4th) M.Jones pass incomplete deep left to T.Thornton [M.Crosby].

Yes, a guy on reddit watched these specific plays after this same quote gained traction there. I can see how the Mac scramble would be confusing (it was still obviously intended to be a passing play), but I don’t understand how either of the other two would have been missed.

2nd & 12 at NE 22 (2:10 - 1st) M.Jones pass short left to R.Stevenson to NE 23 for 1 yard (L.Masterson).

2nd & 4 at NE 42 (14:17 - 3rd) M.Jones scrambles right guard to NE 47 for 5 yards (R.Teamer).

1st & 10 at LV 35 (13:13 - 4th) M.Jones pass incomplete deep left to T.Thornton [M.Crosby].

So even if you take your numbers and not Orlovsky's, it is 20 out of 23 times the Pats lined up under center, the Pats ran the ball. All it does is lowers Patricia's levels of incompetence very slightly.

Maybe.

Again, are we talking about a Josh offense with Mac on training wheels, like last season, or are we talking about a more vertical one like we tried at the beginning of this season, letting Mac cook? The Mac we saw last season was one that was heavily managed by Bill/Josh to minimize mistakes and relied on a run game, great D and STs to win games. It became apparent that to be a contender, you need to rely more on the vertical passing game to compete with the Bills/Chiefs/Bengals in the AFC.

Every single move this offseason was predicated on improving the vertical pass game: trade for Parker, draft Strange & Thornton, dump the FB, swap the tackles (theory: Brown would be better at protecting Mac's blindside & Wynn could handle RT), etc. The playbook was simplified to allow receivers to run routes faster, to get the ball out faster, etc.

Results: Mac led the league in INT%.
Reaction: go back to training wheels, shorten the passing game, eliminate mistakes.

Mac's (2021-22) record when D held opponent <20 pts: 13-2
Mac's (2021-22) record when D allowed opponent 20+ pts: 2-12

The 2 wins, both in '21: against Texans (his only 4QC-GWD) and Chargers. Chargers game (27-24):
Harris rush TD (7)
Folks 4 FGs (12)
Phillips INT TD (8)
Mac's stats: 51%, 217 yds, 0 TD, 0 Int, 70.8 rating.

Mac just hasn't proven to be clutch under Josh or Patricia. Let's see how he does in these remaining games.
Last year Mac racked up his stats in the 3 blowouts:

3 GP 8 TD 0 INT 127.3 RTG

Rest of the season :

14 GP 14 TD 13 INT 87.1 RTG

Why would you leapfrog Groh, who has helped organize and steer two of the most successful drafts in recent history as director of player personnel with a scout?

I've already explained my reasoning.

Strange was steamrolling defenders last week in Vegas… it’s probably time to stop trying to defend a bad draft day opinion.

Surely you're not opining that selecting Strange69 with the 29TH OVERALL PICK OF THE ENTIRE DAM DRAFT was the absolute best use of that particular resource, are you?

Surely you're not opining that selecting Strange69 with the 29TH OVERALL PICK OF THE ENTIRE DAM DRAFT was the absolute best use of that particular resource, are you?
I was banging the table on draft day for an Offensive Tackle, when he was selected Strange was my top rated Guard left on the board.

I was surprised they went guard but happy they took the best lineman on the board. He has played really well for a rookie. So yeah, taking the guard there was fine. Logan Mankins was also considered “a reach,” in hindsight an opinion that looks really stupid. Football is won in the trenches.

They had a fantastic draft assuming these guys stay healthy and get some coaching help. Replacing Groh with a scout, who is already on payroll, makes no sense.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back