PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB’s Mindset on this Season?

Simple: Caleb Williams or Drake Maye.

Anyway Bills thoughts,
I wonder when Connor Barwin and Jermaine Cunningham are going to show up.

I don't understand how someone can be so fickle when your favorite team isn't winning. I just don't have the ability to turn it off. BB is the coach of my favorite football team, I will hope and have faith that he figures it out. Sure, I complain at times while watching the games, but I don't understand why you need to start another thread about BB's supposed "ineptitude", just enjoy the complaining in the 3 or 4 other "complaining threads", they are easy to find. BB orchestrated a great team in a different era and is trying to adjust. I have faith he will, but he may not pull it off. It is what it is, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the Pats every week since the Grogan days and there have been darker days than today's team. It is all fine, take a break from the team if you need it, but remember it's just a football game, not life and death.
Man….as much as I WISH I could stop watching this year’s product, I just can’t.

Don’t have it in me.

But…It has been dreadful.

Boring, frustrating, and hopeless feeling.

Luckily, I’m a GA fan so we have that haha.

It's like reading a modern-day adaptation of Sybil.

I amazes me that people consistently pretend they are inside belichicks head, and know his thoughts and motivations.
There are no doubt, many people on this board who would rather they lose so they can complain and say they were right, than that they win.
(Translation: I am inside your head)

Question:
Is this why you, Andy, use alter-ego screen names)

sally field film GIF

I don’t necessarily agree with this. This mindset extends far beyond here. All you need to do is spend an afternoon or two listening to the people calling into sports radio to understand that this mindset isn’t just inherent to only here - it’s across the board.

Obviously, not everyone, but enough where the fan base is split pretty widely when it comes to this topic. Felger especially preaches “you can only judge what’s going on right now,” and that’s where people who listen to him, that’s where their heads are at. So that essentially shapes the opinions of the casual fans vs the ones who follow it more closely.

I do agree with your thoughts on a study. That would, indeed, be interesting. ;)
I don’t consider people who call sports radio to be representative of the fan base, here or anywhere.

The most vocal reactions are the emotional ones and they typically come from fans who acted like they were better than fans of others teams because the one they follow is winning (remember that was a theme here—we don’t care about the season like a colt fan, etc—) and those people are now embarrassed because at some level their identity is dependent upon the team.

It's like reading a modern-day adaptation of Sybil.

(Translation: I am inside your head)

Question:
Is this why you, Andy, use alter-ego screen names)

sally field film GIF
Wrong translation. I am not reading anyone’s mind I am reading their posts and inferring the obvious.

I don’t consider people who call sports radio to be representative of the fan base, here or anywhere.

The most vocal reactions are the emotional ones and they typically come from fans who acted like they were better than fans of others teams because the one they follow is winning (remember that was a theme here—we don’t care about the season like a colt fan, etc—) and those people are now embarrassed because at some level their identity is dependent upon the team.
While true, it's like a poll. You can argue people who participated in the poll don't necessarily represent the majority, but it doesn't change the fact they exist. And my feeling, based on what I've seen, is that they're also not as much of a minority as you would think.

Not saying I agree with it, but I also get why people feel the way they feel, and I'm also aware we live in a "what have you done for me lately?" society. "It is what it is." The talent, in a crucial year, is not at the level it needs to be at on offense, and that's ultimately what's going to sink the team and likely influence whatever decision is ultimately made at the end of the season.

It sucks, and I'm not looking forward to this playing out, but I feel like it's going to take somewhat of a miracle for this team to get somewhere even close to .500, let alone anything beyond that. And I don't know where Kraft's head will be at by that point, and I'm sure the context involved will play a factor there depending on how things go over these final 12 weeks.

While true, it's like a poll. You can argue people who participated in the poll don't necessarily represent the majority, but it doesn't change the fact they exist. And my feeling, based on what I've seen, is that they're also not as much of a minority as you would think.

Not saying I agree with it, but I also get why people feel the way they feel, and I'm also aware we live in a "what have you done for me lately?" society. "It is what it is." The talent, in a crucial year, is not at the level it needs to be at on offense, and that's ultimately what's going to sink the team and likely influence whatever decision is ultimately made at the end of the season.

It sucks, and I'm not looking forward to this playing out, but I feel like it's going to take somewhat of a miracle for this team to get somewhere even close to .500, let alone anything beyond that. And I don't know where Kraft's head will be at by that point, and I'm sure the context involved will play a factor there depending on how things go over these final 12 weeks.
The difference with a poll is a poll efforts to get a representative cross section.
Supportive people understanding there are times you just ride out the storm don’t call talk radio. Not does the host encourage them to (and they may not even get in air if they tried, they let through the callers that “draw clicks”)
Just like here, the severely negative may make a heavy volume of posts but they are far from a majority of posters.

The difference with a poll is a poll efforts to get a representative cross section.
Supportive people understanding there are times you just ride out the storm don’t call talk radio. Not does the host encourage them to (and they may not even get in air if they tried, they let through the callers that “draw clicks”)
Just like here, the severely negative may make a heavy volume of posts but they are far from a majority of posters.
I agree with the bolded part. However, I don't want to get into the validity of polls, etc, especially since the sole point I was making is that if you think this mindset exists exclusively in this forum, you're definitely mistaken. ;)

I agree with the bolded part. However, I don't want to get into the validity of polls, etc, especially since the sole point I was making is that if you think this mindset exists exclusively in this forum, you're definitely mistaken. ;)
I’m not saying it’s exclusive im
saying it’s not predominant.

I’m not saying it’s exclusive im
saying it’s not predominant.
I was basing it off this comment:
"This fans base, and I mean the fan base on this board, because there is no way it’s indicative of the team's overall fan base"

You sort of allude to this mindset being a thing that's "predominant" here, which would infer it's not "predominant" elsewhere. I would say, again, based on what I've heard/read (Twitter/X is another good indication of where this exists), it's not just here in this forum where so many people feel this way.

what? the vocal and emotional reactions has nothing to do with our feelings towards other fan bases. the vocal and emotional reaction comes from years of watching terrible football, blackouts, empty stadiums, Ken Simms, Hart Lee Dykes, and Irving Fryar draft picks...watching Tom Hodson, Hugh Millen, Jeff Carlson....there were blips of success here and there, but life as a Pats fan sucked. Maybe you never had to listen to Dale Arnold call a game on the radio bc it wasn't on TV....but I did and so did many others. we finally got a good team and our team eventually reached historic heights...no one's ****ing identity is based on a ****ing football team - we have wives, houses, families...but after working out asses off all week, paying bills, have and less and less $ every week due to our current economy, we like to watch the team we love. And unfortunately, the Head Coach and GM of the team has assembled a bottom 10 roster, and a bottom 2 offensive roster. we liked being the best. Most of us don't demand titles every year, but we like to have competitive teams and be entertained. This team sucks, is boring, and is far from entertaining.
When Brady left I thought Bill the Coach would keep the wagon train going, after all, best in history, right? he's the biggest fraud in history is more like it. Bill Belichick is a petulant only child.

Regarding the fanbase on this board...There is a Patriots cheerleader cult, who are like the Branch Davidian and who believe BB is a semi deity.
I would never say these cultists are not "true fans" or that they should not be on the board because they treat BB like David Koresh.
However they have to present themselves as arbiters of what a "true fan is". For those who enumerate the many egregious mistakes BB has made and how he has f'ed up this team since Brady left...we desire to see change so the team will be competitive again.

I will always root for pats to win every game and will want to watch every one of their games over any other game. That will never change no matter how much BB has screwed up and tarnished his legacy since Brady left.
Yes he did tarnish his legacy a bit with the crazy stuff he has done over the past 4 years. Of course he is still a HOF coach and in top 5 probbaly of all time. But his failure to adapt and evolve post Brady has absolutely taken some of the shine off.

I am prepared for the Branch Belichick Davidian's to tell me again to "get off the board"...If I had a nickel every time a BB cult member told me to get off the board, I could buy the team from Kraft right now.
For those who like to offer up valid criticism...keep doing it..it is what makes this place interesting and not like North Korea.

Regarding the fanbase on this board...There is a Patriots cheerleader cult, who are like the Branch Davidian and who believe BB is a semi deity.
I would never say these cultists are not "true fans" or that they should not be on the board because they treat BB like David Koresh.
However they have to present themselves as arbiters of what a "true fan is". For those who enumerate the many egregious mistakes BB has made and how he has f'ed up this team since Brady left...we desire to see change so the team will be competitive again.

I will always root for pats to win every game and will want to watch every one of their games over any other game. That will never change no matter how much BB has screwed up and tarnished his legacy a little.
Yes he did tarnish his legacy bit with the crazy stuff he has done over the past 4 years. Of course he is still a HOF coach and in top 5 probbaly of all time. But his failure to adapt and evolve post Brady has absolutely taken some of the shine off his legacy.

I am prepared for the Branch Belichick Davidian's to tell me again to "get off the board"...If I had a nickel every time a BB cult member told me to get off teh board, I could buy the team from Kraft right now.
I think that number is far lower and, from a mod standpoint, much more balanced than it had been previously. My number one issue, and I would say most people have done a good job of this, is giving reasons and context into why people feel the way they do as opposed to just "he sucks," etc. Granted there's been certainly much more to contribute to that this year for obvious reasons, but I think the "bb cult member" thing isn't necessary.

Albeit, the thing that irritates all of us is when people completely dismiss the contributions prior to 2019 and give him zero credit for his part in it. Yes, Brady would hold the majority of it because that's how it is with quarterbacks (especially with one who is the GOAT), but to say Belichick's portion is 0% is where my issue would be. Aside from that, I feel like no one here is being restricted from any opinions.

I’m curious as to what’s going on in BB’s head this season.

In retrospect, despite the Patricia/Judge experiment, we were a better team last season.

I think BB was looking forward to the post-Brady rebuild and cementing his legacy and most fans were willing to give a few seasons to see it come to fruition.

Into the 4th season of the rebuild, the wheels have come off and Patriots Nation is suffering through the most embarrassing season since prior to the Parcell’s era. There was no steady improvement over 4 years. There was steady regression.

I literally cancelled my YouTubeTV subscription and I’m ready to put a paper bag over my head. I don’t watch the games anymore. It isn’t just about losing - it’s the lack of player development, terrible roster building, execution, undisciplined sloppy play, etc.

What is BB thinking right now?

Is he looking at the man in the mirror and committed to working his ass off to salvage the season?

Does he acknowledge that his system, philosophy, assemblage of coaches and players is inadequate in today’s NFL?

Does he think the system still works and it’s the inability of the players and coaches around him to execute and do their job?

Does he want to persevere and continue team building and coaching no matter what, because that is what he was born to do and he wants to work alongside his kids for as long as he can?

Does he feel he’s entitled to chase Shula’s record for as long as it takes?

Is he aware that his his legacy has been irreparably tarnished over what’s transpired over the last four years?

Thoughts?

On paper this was a better roster and coaching staff going into the season vs. last year. Key injuries and unforeseen nonsense (Jack Jones) combined with an unusually hard schedule have exposed shortcomings re. lack of both depth and playmakers on offense.

I suspect BB knew going in that the margin for being competitive if things went sideways was razor thin and now, the worst has come to pass. I'd guess he knows it's now about evaluating players/the system for 2024. What I'm wondering is how much he has talked to Kraft about all this.

I’m acting out on my displeasure with this current iteration of BB’s Patriots by not wasting my Sundays watching 30 point blow outs. I’m rooting for them to win and if the football stops being an utter embarressment I’ll start watching again.

If enough fans stop going to and watching games, buying merch etc. things will eventually change.

That's fair-weather fan mentality. Even bad teams and bad seasons have plenty of things to take interest in. No. 1 is whether Mac rises to the challenge and competes or craps himself out of a job.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back