PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB’s Mindset on this Season?

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I’m curious as to what’s going on in BB’s head this season.

In retrospect, despite the Patricia/Judge experiment, we were a better team last season.

I think BB was looking forward to the post-Brady rebuild and cementing his legacy and most fans were willing to give a few seasons to see it come to fruition.

Into the 4th season of the rebuild, the wheels have come off and Patriots Nation is suffering through the most embarrassing season since prior to the Parcell’s era. There was no steady improvement over 4 years. There was steady regression.

I literally cancelled my YouTubeTV subscription and I’m ready to put a paper bag over my head. I don’t watch the games anymore. It isn’t just about losing - it’s the lack of player development, terrible roster building, execution, undisciplined sloppy play, etc.

What is BB thinking right now?

Is he looking at the man in the mirror and committed to working his ass off to salvage the season?

Does he acknowledge that his system, philosophy, assemblage of coaches and players is inadequate in today’s NFL?

Does he think the system still works and it’s the inability of the players and coaches around him to execute and do their job?

Does he want to persevere and continue team building and coaching no matter what, because that is what he was born to do and he wants to work alongside his kids for as long as he can?

Does he feel he’s entitled to chase Shula’s record for as long as it takes?

Is he aware that his his legacy has been irreparably tarnished over what’s transpired over the last four years?

Thoughts?

He's the same arrogant guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone so he can sign mediocre jags at OL and WR and "coach them up"

It was his arrogance that believed coaching offense was so easy Patricia could do it learning on the job.

Sure he learned from the "list season". But decided "hey o'brien can just coach up these jags we don't need any talent" and now are having another lost season

How many seasons do we have to waste for him to learn.

His mindset is what it always was. Just doing what's best for the football team.

Which is code for, "I do things my way and if you don't like it. * flashes six rings *". His "the last 25 years" comment is a rare moment when the mask slipped.

His mindset is what it always was. Just trying to do what's best for the football.

Which is code for, "I do things my way and if you don't like it. * flashes six rings *". His "the last 25 years" comment is a rare moment when the mask slipped.

Which is funny because when it comes to bill it's "last 25 years"

Yet when it came to Brady it was "we can't pay you based on last 25 years here is a one year below market deal"

Is he aware that his his legacy has been irreparably tarnished over what’s transpired over the last four years?

Thoughts?
BB's legacy is secure. Just like Brady's is. He could go 1-16 for the next few years until he retires and he's still getting into Canton first ballot (that is, unless the *****y sportswriters hold Spygate and Deflategate over his head).

I still think Bill the coach is fine. The problem is that Bill the GM has been downright awful since at least 2018. Probably sooner because the poor rosters Brady got stuck with in the end were a result of Bill whiffing on draft replacements for older guys nearing their end.

I still think Bill the coach is fine.
Think of all of the plug and play players BB has been able win with over the years, countless no name o-linemen like Russ Hochstein and Dan Connolly, Earthwind Moreland and Troy Brown playing in the secondary. It seems to me his ability to coach up players is gone.

And what about the lack of discipline and execution? For a coach who arguably values special teams more than any coach in the league, why has our special teams play been abysmal the last few seasons?

We used to play smart and let the other team make the mistakes. That brand of football has been gone for years.

Last edited:
BB's legacy is secure. Just like Brady's is. He could go 1-16 for the next few years until he retires and he's still getting into Canton first ballot (that is, unless the *****y sportswriters hold Spygate and Deflategate over his head).
I don’t think BB is going to be a unanimous vote for the first ballot like Brady is, for that reason. One writer from Pittsburgh already said he’s not voting for Bill after the scandals.

I'm not saying he isn't getting into Canton, but is there anyone out there who doesn't think considerably less of BB's coaching ability after what's transpired the last four years? How could you not? Being able to adapt is paramount to coaching. He's proven he's incapable of doing that anymore - and its not just the roster building and offensive scheme. His teams have lacked discipline and all of the little things that used to contribute to winning.

In retrospect, despite the Patricia/Judge experiment, we were a better team last season.

I think BB was looking forward to the post-Brady rebuild and cementing his legacy and most fans were willing to give a few seasons to see it come to fruition.

Into the 4th season of the rebuild, the wheels have come off and Patriots Nation is suffering through the most embarrassing season since prior to the Parcell’s era. There was no steady improvement over 4 years. There was steady regression.

I literally cancelled my YouTubeTV subscription and I’m ready to put a paper bag over my head. I don’t watch the games anymore. It isn’t just about losing - it’s the lack of player development, terrible roster building, execution, undisciplined sloppy play, etc.

Is he looking at the man in the mirror and committed to working his ass off to salvage the season?

Does he acknowledge that his system, philosophy, assemblage of coaches and players is inadequate in today’s NFL?

Does he think the system still works and it’s the inability of the players and coaches around him to execute and do their job?

Does he want to persevere and continue team building and coaching no matter what, because that is what he was born to do and he wants to work alongside his kids for as long as he can?

Thoughts?
My thoughts are if you have abandoned the team you should abandon patsFANS.com

Thoughts?
I don't understand how someone can be so fickle when your favorite team isn't winning. I just don't have the ability to turn it off. BB is the coach of my favorite football team, I will hope and have faith that he figures it out. Sure, I complain at times while watching the games, but I don't understand why you need to start another thread about BB's supposed "ineptitude", just enjoy the complaining in the 3 or 4 other "complaining threads", they are easy to find. BB orchestrated a great team in a different era and is trying to adjust. I have faith he will, but he may not pull it off. It is what it is, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the Pats every week since the Grogan days and there have been darker days than today's team. It is all fine, take a break from the team if you need it, but remember it's just a football game, not life and death.

Thoughts?
Bill's head should be spinning with WTF thoughts while he tries to fix this mess but he may also be thinking about job-hunting.

I'm not sure they were better last year or the schedule was easier. Strength of schedule is a real thing.

I've never been a coaches guy to begin with and when Bill dumped the greatest player the league has ever seen, he lost me. The fact that Brady went on to win didn't help as much as hurt. It gave him one more SB ring than every team in league history, including the Pats.

The team is so bad now that it looks like they're tanking. And it's historically bad on offense.

I got rid of my NYFL+ and I don't miss it.

The next set of questions can be answered by whether we feel that Bill is more arrogant than humble. It's difficult to say for sure from seeing his public persona but he comes across as arrogant.

I'm like Mac, and Cyndi Lauper I suppose, and just want to have fun. Bring on Deion.

Great question. I imagine he doesn't want to tank. Both for pride (if Bill has to tank for a star, how can he prove he's better than everyone else?), and his coaching record suffering.

Bill Belichick ultimately still thinks the average team is dumb and has dumb coaches and QBs. And as a result he can still win against them.

But as we've seen, it's harder to win these teams when you no longer have the advantage at QB (both on the field, and in the locker room). So your current QB (Mac) will make dumb mistakes just like the opponent. Won't inspire your teammates. And when you lose, your team has trouble buying in to your message. They're less disciplined as a result.

Bill wants to salvage the year and get 7-8 wins to keep his job (as long as Kraft gives him full power). I think he'll replace Mac in the offseason. And if he can't, he knows a few teams will fire their coach for him (Giants, possibly Chargers, possibly Commanders).

I don't understand how someone can be so fickle when your favorite team isn't winning. I just don't have the ability to turn it off. BB is the coach of my favorite football team, I will hope and have faith that he figures it out. Sure, I complain at times while watching the games, but I don't understand why you need to start another thread about BB's supposed "ineptitude", just enjoy the complaining in the 3 or 4 other "complaining threads", they are easy to find. BB orchestrated a great team in a different era and is trying to adjust. I have faith he will, but he may not pull it off. It is what it is, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the Pats every week since the Grogan days and there have been darker days than today's team. It is all fine, take a break from the team if you need it, but remember it's just a football game, not life and death.
The Pats have never been this bad on offense. It's the worst offense in NYFL history. How each fan deals with that is up to them. And right now Bill is on the hot seat with many fans, even his supporters.

When/if Bill leaves it'll be interesting to hear all the conspiracy theories. Some may have already started.

Great question. I imagine he doesn't want to tank. Both for pride (if Bill has to tank for a star, how can he prove he's better than everyone else?), and his coaching record suffering.

Bill Belichick ultimately still thinks the average team is dumb and has dumb coaches and QBs. And as a result he can still win against them.

But as we've seen, it's harder to win these teams when you no longer have the advantage at QB (both on the field, and in the locker room). So your current QB (Mac) will make dumb mistakes just like the opponent. Won't inspire your teammates. And when you lose, your team has trouble buying in to your message. They're less disciplined as a result.

Bill wants to salvage the year and get 7-8 wins to keep his job (as long as Kraft gives him full power). I think he'll replace Mac in the offseason. And if he can't, he knows a few teams will fire their coach for him (Giants, possibly Chargers, possibly Commanders).
I amazes me that people consistently pretend they are inside belichicks head, and know his thoughts and motivations.
Everything, every single thing, I have heard about belichick (legitimately) tells me that all he is thinking about right now is the next game. He lives in the situation, and the situation is there is a game Sunday.
There are no indications of being motivated by pride.
There is no indication he thinks anyone is dumb.
I am sure he isn’t calculating how many wins keep his job, I am sure he and kraft understand each other, are communicating constantly and not plotting against each other.

What truly amazes me is how some people are so insecure in life that they take their vicarious interest, look at the man who engineered the greatest level of success in the history of the sport, bragged about in insufferably, no doubt, and then as soon as the results slide, they not only turn on him, feel the need to publicly attack him, but actually go out of their way to try to ascribe traits to him that they find negative, without any real proof, to trash him further so they can feel better.

This fans base, and I mean the fan base on this board, because there is no way it’s indicative of the teams overall fan base, would be one hell of a psychological study.

My thoughts are if you have abandoned the team you should abandon patsFANS.com
The idea that a fan should support their team but never criticize them is comical. Whenever I hear it I think of the hundreds of 3 year old Barney followers who zombied their way into an auditorium years ago. But instead of chanting Barney it would be Billy... Billy... Billy.

The Pats have never been this bad on offense. It's the worst offense in NYFL history. How each fan deals with that is up to them. And right now Bill is on the hot seat with many fans, even his supporters.

When/if Bill leaves it'll be interesting to hear all the conspiracy theories. Some may have already started.
Whatever. I am still looking forward to tomorrow's game. It's my favorite football team to root for. My guess is that they will get better and i will be believing that until someone tells me they have no more games to play this year. It is just the way I am wired.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back