PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official CALM THE HELL DOWN thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lost a game. Oh no.

Seriously, there's still a lot to be worked out. I thought the gameplan was suspect from the start. I can't understand why this is our strategy against blitz teams, but maybe they'll adapt going forward. Either way, when has a week 2 loss signaled the end of things? I mean, come on, with the talent on this team, its still loaded and its just a matter of time before things come together.

Guyton is almost slower the Bruschi.

I knew when I clicked on this thread that I wouldn't make it through the first page without a real WTF post. Congratulations, you've taken the cake.

Perhaps you didn't notice Guyton chase down and tackle Cotchery on the long gain? Guyton played well today.

Perhaps he also didn't notice that my MOM is faster than Tedy Bruschi and her 40 at the Combine didn't come CLOSE to Guyton's.

Okay, so it's good to know we've got real clarity when it comes to TOTALLY DISQUALIFYING posts for admission into the "deserves to be here" section of the forum. This is absurd. And not just your spelling of "measly."

Sorry about spelling. You know, people do misspell words from time to time on this board. I'm sorry you don't think Rex Ryan is better at defense than BB.

I feel that this one was squarely on Brady. The O-line gave him enough time. They got a lot of pressure, but excluding a few jailbreaks, he wasn't playing chuck n' duck; he was just unsettled all game long. Unsettled isn't a good enough excuse to miss all of those throws (I'm not sure if excuse is the right word. He doesn't have to answer to us).

We really didn't deserve this win. The fact that our defense was our strong point says enough about this game. I'm not confident about our chances to get to 2-1.

Your right...... The O-line played fine. This was his first chance to look at a blitz crazy front with press corners and lot's of moving parts. They don't simulate that stuff in practice. He's seen the speedy front 4 and now the 46 permutation D. What's left the zone blitz and the big tough front 4? He needs some reps.

Sorry about spelling. You know, people do misspell words from time to time on this board. I'm sorry you don't think Rex Ryan is better at defense than BB.

I'm sorry you think ONE game with a team down their best defensive player, and a team starting its undrafted FA LB as the QB of the defense...TWO games into the season...oh Christ, I don't even know why I'm bothering to engage this nonsense.

I'm sorry you think giving up 16 points is a disaster and we should be blaming this loss on the defense and not the offense.

- Don't be surprised if the Pats don't change their ways on offense. You'd think after Brady was abused in the super bowl they would be more of a running team. I was wrong until Matt Cassel stepped in at QB. You'd think after Brady was coming off of a major knee injury they would be more of a running team. I was wrong again. You'd think because the Pats are struggling on offense they will utilize their good stable of backs and run the football. I will probably be wrong again. I hope the insanity ends.

I would welcome this. With Moss and Galloway on the outside, it should keep the box pretty clean. Will BB have the patience to establish the run, however, especially if, as I expect, teams are able to throw on us?

I'm sorry you think ONE game with a team down their best defensive player, and a team starting its undrafted FA LB as the QB of the defense...TWO games into the season...oh Christ, I don't even know why I'm bothering to engage this nonsense.

I'm sorry you think giving up 16 points is a disaster and we should be blaming this loss on the defense and not the offense.

If you re-read it, I clearly said the Pats defense played well enough to win. Their defense was not the problem as they did not lose the game for them. In fact, they gave the offense chance after chance to tie the game and they failed. I'm just saying it's kind of odd that BB, "master of defense", can't get one pick from a ROOKIE QB. And Mayo's absence wasn't the difference. Sanchez wasn't phased at all today by BB's "schemes".

Last edited:
I guess people blaming the defense are expecting them to hold everyone to 8 points or less a game. The offense scored NINE points! Almost every other NFL team scored more than that today. How can this not be on the offense?

How many rings does Rex have as a DC or Head Coach?

Does it matter? His D gave us troubles back in 07 (which the Gints copied in the SB) and now this. Why can't we give credit for the Jets for playing a great game?

btw: Rex Ryan (post game PC) expressed delight that Welker was not able to play and that it was a big bonus for him. Hope we can repay the favor in Nov.

BB's got 2 as DC, including a defensive game plan in the hall of fame. Can Rex say the same?

He has 2 in the HOF, one as DC and one as HC.

As for the "Guyton is slower than Bruschi" thing....that is akin to saying Wilfork is skinnier than Welker. It's so absurd and over-the-top that it makes me wonder if whoever said that has actually ever watched a Patriots game. Guyton was the fastest LB at the combine in 08. Not "fast" or "one of the fastest", THE fastest. He's by far the fastest LB the Pats have (and have had for a long long time). He certainly has his flaws, but speed isn't one of them. If he is "slow", Mayo must move at glacial speed.

Agree w/ those who think this team is going to be fine. Anyone who has reasonably followed the team lately would have known that the first half of the season would be patchy and inconsistent. Tons of new faces, both on the field and amongst the coaches and Brady coming back (go back and see how Palmer or P.Manning did their first few games back after knee surgery).

And the "without the McKelvin fumble they'd be 0-2" garbage, well without a questionable "fumble" call in 2001, they'd only have 2 Super Bowls. Wins are wins. Stripping the ball is part of the game. Sometimes you need to get lucky to win games. But in the end, they all count the same. The Pats had plenty of ugly wins (AND losses) in the Super Bowl winning seasons and plenty of "easy" blowout wins in the 2007 season.

I think the only thing we can really complain about with the D is that we had 3rd and forever with the Jets inside their 20, and our familiar friend, the first down, paid us a visit. That could have set us up for at least a field goal based on field positioning. The defense struggled in the second half, but there's no way we can blame them, pass rush or not.

That's great, but I should've clarified. As of the last few seasons, BB's schemed haven't fooled anybody.

I think you mean the last 19 meaningful games we've played. Meaning it's pretty much a reactionary non-argument.

i think the game hype has gotten to evryone including the fans.We have had worser losses in miami with then seemingly worser teams.

That's great, but I should've clarified. As of the last few seasons, BB's schemed haven't fooled anybody.

They didn't fool anyone in 2000 or 2002 either I guess?? BB must suck at defense!!! Maybe he's only good every couple of years?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The problem, I suspect, lays more with Pees' playcalling and the completely vanilla defense they are running because of all the young/new faces. The defense, for all the turnover and lack of Mayo, has actually been quite good. The pass-rush hasn't been great, but otherwise they are doing their job. They shut down Evans/TO last week and today Washington wasn't much of a factor on offense. How anyone can point to the last 2 games as evidence that BB has "lost his touch" is completely beyond me. The guy is still one of the top defensive minds in the game.

Does it matter? His D gave us troubles back in 07 (which the Gints copied in the SB) and now this.

It does matter. Ryan is a good, attacking defensive coach. But the issue in contention is whether he's better than BB (at least in my exchange with Bro) and I think it's a patently absurd claim at this point in both their careers.

Why can't we give credit for the Jets for playing a great game?

We can, and I have, but that has nothing to do with what Bro and I are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST