PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official CALM THE HELL DOWN thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the game hype has gotten to evryone including the fans.We have had worser losses in miami with then seemingly worser teams.
But, we go into this season with many holes on offense and defense. An early season loss is not what we needed. Had the loss come a couple of weeks later, we wouldn't be freakin out (as much).

i think the game hype has gotten to evryone including the fans.We have had worser losses in miami with then seemingly worser teams.

I disagree. What has gotten to the fans is how bad the team has looked the first two games. No hype there at all. But for a near miracle finish, we would be looking at 0-2.

Defense will be good.....eventually.....maybe this year. But even that will not happen unless they find a consistent pass rush.

The defense did not play as well as it should have, but 16 points against is not a bad day no matter how you cut it, and that should do just fine on average when paired with an offense that should be scoring upwards of 25 points per game. IIRC, the O got more than its fair share of shots at a comeback in the last thirty minutes. Hell, we only lost by a touchdown. The Jets offense (and defense, for that matter) is no walk in the park, by the way.

Brady was disappointing, but I see no reason to moan about how he'll never get back in form. The preseason is not the same world as the regular season. If he isn't up to speed by week four, maybe five, then yes, I'll be pouting, but for f*ck's sake, the guy's ACL got blown out. Give him a minute.

The coaching staff, BB included, needs to be roundhouse-kicked in the face. Twenty rushes, one of which was by the QB and only fourteen of which came from our top two backs? In a close, low-scoring game? What the ****?

Last time NE started 1-1, it finished 14-2 and ass-kicked its way to dynasty. 14-2? Probably not. Major Super Bowl contender? Abso-*******-lutely. Keep your collective pants on, people.

I do think that we will recover. I don't think Belichick pisses excellence, but I do think he put a better product on the field next week.

I just wish that pick in 2011 could shed some blockers this season.

The last time we had a kick in the pants from a divisional rival, we did alright after that.

Last edited:
But, we go into this season with many holes on offense and defense. An early season loss is not what we needed. Had the loss come a couple of weeks later, we wouldn't be freakin out (as much).

trust me..we wouldve freaked out then too .its in our nature.We treated this like a SB with all the hype and its hard to believe wehad a bad game. yes there are lot more questions right now but the 2003 team had so many of its own to start with.
and as you said ..its an early loss. remember how horrible miami looked last yr in the 1st 2 games?
iam not a great optimist but i have believe they will improve although the schedule is much tougher this yr.

I feel that this one was squarely on Brady. The O-line gave him enough time. They got a lot of pressure, but excluding a few jailbreaks, he wasn't playing chuck n' duck; he was just unsettled all game long. Unsettled isn't a good enough excuse to miss all of those throws (I'm not sure if excuse is the right word. He doesn't have to answer to us).

We really didn't deserve this win. The fact that our defense was our strong point says enough about this game. I'm not confident about our chances to get to 2-1.

I honestly don't know what game some of you watch... Brady was hurried, pressured and knocked down all day. An UDFA QB conversion project was his best and most consistent WR today.

People, with the exception of Dillon, when was this team EVER a running team? C;mon....it has always beena short passing game type of offense. The problem is there was always a THREAT of a good run. This running back by committee sucks and strikes no fear. Just committ to Taylor and sit Maroney down.

People, with the exception of Dillon, when was this team EVER a running team? C;mon....it has always beena short passing game type of offense. The problem is there was always a THREAT of a good run. This running back by committee sucks and strikes no fear. Just committ to Taylor and sit Maroney down.

Taylor is not a feature back at this point in his career. Maroney will continue to split time with him. Best get over that now.

Likewise, it's not as if the only options are being a "running team" and being a "throw the ball 50 times a game team."

Last edited:
I think the only thing we can really complain about with the D is that we had 3rd and forever with the Jets inside their 20, and our familiar friend, the first down, paid us a visit. That could have set us up for at least a field goal based on field positioning. The defense struggled in the second half, but there's no way we can blame them, pass rush or not.

I think the D played well enough to win but there were a couple of plays that stood out and this was one of them. Two times the pats had them in third and long and couldn't close the deal.

I think they will jell and be better on third down and in the redzone as the season goes on

I honestly don't know what game some of you watch... Brady was hurried, pressured and knocked down all day. An UDFA QB conversion project was his best and most consistent WR today.

Sure, he was pressured. When isn't he (excluding the Jacksonville game)? That excuses him from missing tons of throws? The receivers weren't ideal, but really? You're going to blame the WRs? It would have been nice if Brady could lead Galloway a little bit on that 4th down, or hit a wide open Edelman on the goal line.

Edleman was drafted, not an UDFA

Garbanza said:

Antowain Smith was no more a "THREAT of a good run" than the Maroney/Taylor combo. To think otherwise is revisionist history.

PatriotsInGA said:

Other than a mediocre OL, I fail to see the "many holes on offense". Other than the lack of depth at LB (and now the loss of Mayo), I fail to see the "many holes on defense".

As for not freaking out, many here freak out when the Patriots "only" win by 10 points. Doesn't matter when the losses come, some people just like to spew irrational, unsubstantiated and reactionary nonsense and/or ignore the fact that the football season is long and things can change quickly. The 2007 Giants were all but written off early on when Eli was struggling. The 2001 Patriots opened up 0-4. The 2003 Patriots got destroyed opening day. And on and on. What's important is that this team is in the hunt for home field advantage/first round bye. As it currently stands, I see no team in the AFC which is clearly better than the Pats. San Diego, Indy, Miami and Pittsburgh have all struggled at times. The Titans have lost 0-2. Right now the best teams in the AFC are the Jets and the Ravens, and the clearly more talented teams look shaky.

It happens. If the Pats are 3-4 at the bye week, then I'll be more concerned. Until then, I'll continue to believe that this team will continue to get better as the year goes on. Outside of injuries, I see absolutely no reason that this team would get WORSE than right now (and injuries can hit any team at any time).

He has 2 in the HOF, one as DC and one as HC.

Yeah, I was focusing strictly on his work as a DC comparison to compare apples to apples since Bro tried to distinguish between HC accomplishments and defensive accomplishments.

We lost, fair and square (mostly), to the better team today. The offense still needs to get their act together, they need to get Welker back and the OL needs to do a better job. The D, which we all worried about so much, did a solid job and will, one hopes, improve as much as possible until Mayo gets back and the youngsters/new vets get the system in their bones.

If you want to throw a hissy about Galloway being a waste of space, go right ahead. I understand. But this team just has to make the playoffs. By then it will look much different, and much better, than it does now. In the long run, there is NO REASON to worry about this team's ability to score points. They will score. A lot. Just not today, and that stinks and all, but in the grand scheme, we'll be okay. We shall overcome.

Breathe...

shut the **** up with these threads. this is a message board, and if people want to freak the **** out out let them. Quit telling people what to post.

shut the **** up with these threads. this is a message board, and if people want to freak the **** out out let them. Quit telling people what to post.

Just want to review your definition of "telling people what to post" -

We lost, fair and square (mostly), to the better team today. The offense still needs to get their act together, they need to get Welker back and the OL needs to do a better job. The D, which we all worried about so much, did a solid job and will, one hopes, improve as much as possible until Mayo gets back and the youngsters/new vets get the system in their bones.

If you want to throw a hissy about Galloway being a waste of space, go right ahead. I understand. But this team just has to make the playoffs. By then it will look much different, and much better, than it does now. In the long run, there is NO REASON to worry about this team's ability to score points. They will score. A lot. Just not today, and that stinks and all, but in the grand scheme, we'll be okay. We shall overcome.

Breathe...

Actually, why don't help me out by reading and showing ALL OF US where I said what people should or should not post? We'll wait. (And wait. And wait.)

Listen, I realize some of you come pre-stirred up and feel like throwing your little tantrums, but yours is a patently dishonest post and I feel it should be called out. Stop lying. Calm down. It's two freakin' games.

Last edited:

It sounds like you're the one telling people what to post and what not to. If someone wants to start a thread suggesting that we shouldn't get freaked out about one loss, that doesn't prevent anyone else from "freaking out" if they want to.

Im not fully worried yet, but Brady looked more like early 08 Cassel than regular Brady...by which i mean leading many decent drives over the last two games, but time and time again falling apart once they get inside about the 35 yard line or so...the rust needs to come off soon, especially with the schedule ahead, but for now I still have plenty of faith...

Really, why the need for an "official CALM THE HELL DOWN thread?" I think that's what Boston Boxer was getting at. Most fans react differently, just let them. When, and if, the Pats correct these mistakes, none of this will matter. But for one week it does.

Really, why the need for an "official CALM THE HELL DOWN thread?" I think that's what Boston Boxer was getting at. Most fans react differently, just let them. When, and if, the Pats correct these mistakes, none of this will matter. But for one week it does.

One of my Facebook friends posted an update remembering when the Patriots used to be consistently good. Like it was so long ago. I'm sorry, but when fans act this way, it is incredibly annoying.

Why the "need" for any thread? Despite the thread's title, there's nothing "official" about it - just one poster's point of view. If people don't want to buy in to the concept behind the thread, they're free to ignore it, and continue to "freak out" in threads of their own. It's a free world.

One of my Facebook friends posted an update remembering when the Patriots used to be consistently good. Like it was so long ago. I'm sorry, but when fans act this way, it is incredibly annoying.

Well, a lot of these "fans" probably came on board during this decade. They lack perspective.

That's fine, this bandwagon was getting crowded anyway. *Cue decline in sales of pink Pats hats and jerseys now*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft