PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official CALM THE HELL DOWN thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
After every loss , every year, it's the ame post. "The play calling', the OL, "can't make a stop",blah blah, blah.

This game should have been put away in the first half. The one who didn't do that is my hero for life, Tom Brady. He missed open receivers , Endleman & Galloway, for TD's on separate trips down the field. And, he did not have pressure on him either time.

Tom Brady is still a great QB and we should be thankful every friggin day that we have him as our QB. But he is human and today he was off, that's it.

The defense gave up 1 TD and they did come up with a stop at the end of the game. The OL did a good job mostly. The play calling was not bad, it was the execution.

Get a grip! We lost a game to one of the most hated teams. Accept it and get over it. I do wish someone would come up with something original rather than the same old tired blame game.

See that's a kneejerk reaction too only because it's yours you can't see it. Brady didn't lose his touch or his mind or his nerve in the last 6 days. This OL has been an adventure for some time now. They don't match up well physically with the stouter more determined DL and DC's in the league. It is what it is. Smart and quick doesn't work well when they're rushing 4 and running over you. Brady has had a target on his back since December 2007 and it was Rex's former club who put it there. The blueprint. Brady beat it last week because Buffalo isn't nearly good enough to stop him. Teams who are, will.

PS Keep in mind that just because a receiver is open doesn't mean he was missed. When the QB is throwing under pressure it's to a spot, not a guy. Sometimes the guy isn't there, or he turns the wrong way or doesn't come back for the ball... Brady missed a couple of throws but his WR's missed a lot more. They missed a hold on Galloway on one throw, on another the ball went right through his hands. Brady lives to elevate everyone to his level, not to stoop to one beneath him. Was he frustrated towards the end...yeah, and with good reason. He'd been either let down or getting knocked down most of the day.

we got atlanta at home, I'm already excited for Sunday. We'll be back, Pats are too good for their offense to keep struggling.

See that's a kneejerk reaction too only because it's yours you can't see it. Brady didn't lose his touch or his mind or his nerve in the last 6 days. This OL has been an adventure for some time now. They don't match up well physically with the stouter more determined DL and DC's in the league. It is what it is. Smart and quick doesn't work well when they're rushing 4 and running over you. Brady has had a target on his back since December 2007 and it was Rex's former club who put it there. The blueprint. Brady beat it last week because Buffalo isn't nearly good enough to stop him. Teams who are, will.

PS Keep in mind that just because a receiver is open doesn't mean he was missed. When the QB is throwing under pressure it's to a spot, not a guy. Sometimes the guy isn't there, or he turns the wrong way or doesn't come back for the ball... Brady missed a couple of throws but his WR's missed a lot more. They missed a hold on Galloway on one throw, on another the ball went right through his hands. Brady lives to elevate everyone to his level, not to stoop to one beneath him. Was he frustrated towards the end...yeah, and with good reason. He'd been either let down or getting knocked down most of the day.

Did he or did he not miss a wide open Endleman?

Yes, there were drops and I'm not putting it all on Brady. No one played or coached a perfect game. You win as a team amnd lose as a team.

The point of my post is that I see the same old tired crap here after every loss, with the same old tired blame game, year after year..

Geees!!!! Where did we go wrong?? We should have killed these last two teams!

Hold on, Im not ready to run, but my question was where was the Burgess and Thomas , who buy the way gave a boat load of money too... There was no pressure on sanchez, no blitzing, come on now.. Yeah they had a short field, but where is the physical Pats defense that Belichcik has been so famous for, that is all Im asking... And they were also so good at second half adjustments.. I have not seen it .. Again its a long season, but there are just more questions than answers FOR RIGHT NOW....

You are so right my friend. I don't see any imagination to this defense. It seems very vanilla. I know that Thomas had to help account for Keller and Washington, but come on, he could do different things. Guyton or Meriweather could handle one of those duties once in a while. Question: Did James Sanders play today? I didn't see him on the field. The Jests had a huge pass play and I know he's usually our deep safety.

To all the people complaining about our O-line:
It was not their fault. We simply didn't run the ball enough. Without a credible running game, the defenders just didn't care about the running backs. You could tell that that defense was geared towards one thing: hit Brady. We have the weapons on offense. We did run the ball successfully when we ran it. Why did we stop? Why didn't we hand it off on third and short? These are the questions that piss me off.

To people that don't believe we should have run it more, read this:
Kris Jenkins has a bad back. he also has conditioning issues. If we would have put Koppen and Mankins on him for 4 quarters and used runs up the middle, stretch plays, tosses, and screens, we could have had him gassed by the 4th quarter. A lack of a running game takes away valuable opportunities for our line to be physical. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Now I know you were watching another game. They got more than sufficient pressure on Sanchez until the ST put them on a short field coming out of the halftime break where Dean Pees had lost his momentary nerve. They got back at him later and held them to a FG.

Agreed, Mo. Out Welker and Mayo for this game and frankly had Thomas held on to that interception, it would have been a win (and no, I am not looking to scape-goat Thomas - plenty of mistakes to go around that can be fixed later).

The offense is timing based, and Galloway is new. Brady is not back to being Brady yet, but that should come as no surprise after an IR season. The offense doesn't work the same with Welker out, nor would any offense that loses a receiver with 110+ receptions/year. And Guyton is not Mayo and nobody expects him to be.

The penalties killed New England today as well, and they were not all holding penalties (contrary to those dumping on the "awful" O-line play). Special teams did some damage today (Aiken specifically). But penalties can be fixed.

And 16-9 after a short week with key players out is not the worst thing in the world. I would swear from the posts the Pats just lost the game 31-0 at home. I hate losing to the Jets, but it's a long season and this is the second game. As the Jets proved last year, seasons tend to be won or lost in performance after game 8, so probably not wise to call the season at game 2.

The offense is timing based, and Galloway is new. Brady is not back to being Brady yet, but that should come as no surprise after an IR season.

I think that's essentially what it boils down to. It looks like this season, we're going to have to see how things play out in December.

Last edited:
Agreed, Mo. Out Welker and Mayo for this game and frankly had Thomas held on to that interception, it would have been a win (and no, I am not looking to scape-goat Thomas - plenty of mistakes to go around that can be fixed later).

The offense is timing based, and Galloway is new. Brady is not back to being Brady yet, but that should come as no surprise after an IR season. The offense doesn't work the same with Welker out, nor would any offense that loses a receiver with 110+ receptions/year. And Guyton is not Mayo and nobody expects him to be.

The penalties killed New England today as well, and they were not all holding penalties (contrary to those dumping on the "awful" O-line play). Special teams did some damage today (Aiken specifically). But penalties can be fixed.

And 16-9 after a short week with key players out is not the worst thing in the world. I would swear from the posts the Pats just lost the game 31-0 at home. I hate losing to the Jets, but it's a long season and this is the second game. As the Jets proved last year, seasons tend to be won or lost in performance after game 8, so probably not wise to call the season at game 2.

You definitely have a point about the penalties. The team was very sloppy today. Near the end of the second half, we went from being in field goal range, with a manageable third and 9, to a third and forever because of penalties.

However, I think people are being a little too hard on the O-line. i do not think it was their fault today. The Jests were getting pressure because they had a space eater, named Kris Jenkins, whose job it is to take on multiple blockers. Koppen is a small center so he naturally needed help. The problem was that the line was hung out to dry because of the shoddy play calling. Our offense was too unbalanced. We didn't run the ball enough. Kris Jenkins has a bad back and has conditioning issues. He was sucking oxygen on the sidelines in the fourth quarter. Now imagine how gassed he would have been if we would have ran the ball more. If we would have put two offensive line men on him, they could have driven his fat ass into the dirt play after play if they were only allowed to stay on him.

Well, it looks like Pittsburgh is going to be 1-1 as well. Relax people. I have a funny feeling that 12-4 will be more than enough for home field advantage in the playoffs. We've a long way to go yet.

Agreed, all this cry me a river is non sense, we are still finding our indentity, it is early guys!

My post game observations:

- First, what a pathetic performance by the Pats.

- Rex Ryan adds a few players on defense and they look like the Ravens. The Pats strip down their entire defense and still look average. Hands down, Ryan and LeBeau are the top 2 best defensive minds in the NFL. After that, it's a huge drop off. Yep, you read that right, BB isn't even on the radar. For a guy that is supposed to be a defensive "guru", he can't even come up with something to get 1 measly interception from a rookie QB. BB needs to take a page from these guys because the Pats defense might be the most vanilla in the league (formally held by the Washington Redskins and Tennessee Titans).

-However, although their defense gave up a couple 3rd and longs, they played well enough to win.

- I think the Pats are officially insane when it comes to offense. In fact, they have become the most predicable offense in the NFL. Whether they get a great first down run or not, they will ultimately abandon it and throw their way off the field.

- The Pats have four running backs that are capable of running the football and they throw 47 times today? I can understand if they were getting blown out, but their largest deficit was seven points. In addition, their NT has a bad back and the Pats throw? WTF? I don't want to hear anybody b*tch about Maroney when he gets 6 carries today. What the f*ck are you supposed to do with only 6 carries?

- It's hard for any O-line to block when your averaging 50 attempts per game. Absolutely pathetic!

- Don't be surprised if the Pats don't change their ways on offense. You'd think after Brady was abused in the super bowl they would be more of a running team. I was wrong until Matt Cassel stepped in at QB. You'd think after Brady was coming off of a major knee injury they would be more of a running team. I was wrong again. You'd think because the Pats are struggling on offense they will utilize their good stable of backs and run the football. I will probably be wrong again. I hope the insanity ends.

- As of right now, the Pats are the 3rd best team in the division. They could very well be 0-2 right now if it weren't for a "Eli Manning" miracle play by McKelvin fumbling the football.

Last edited:
True. I do not envy the Falcons next week. :D

I kind of envision a game like Parcells ran in Indy in 1996 after getting beat either by Denver or Washington. The Pats ran Martin the first however many plays of the game and set a real physical tone which lasted for the rest of the season, even with a wide array of pass catching options. I can see a two tight end set for the first two or three series next week.

But this team just has to make the playoffs. ...

Playoffs? Playoffs? Don't talk to me about playoffs. This team is just trying to win a game!

Serioiusly. Three field goals won't cut it in the NFL. That was a very poor offensive performance. Ugly.

BTW, anyone see Kelley Washington in the Raven game? He looked great. Good for him, glad he is getting a chance.

It was an awful game today, but now that I have relaxed and thought about it, I realize my reaction is more of losing to the Jets than anything else. Yes, losing sucks and yes, the team from BB down didn't look great. But, lots of people on this board predicted a rough first few weeks of the season while A) Brady gets back into playing QB at game speed and B) the new faces on defense gel together. This is the second week of the season. There is plenty of time to correct mistakes.

Seriously, let's just all relax. It's not like it was OUR Super Bowl or anything.

PS: To any Jets fans reading the thread, your team beat us hard. Much credit.

- Rex Ryan adds a few players on defense and they look like the Ravens. The Pats strip down their entire defense and still look average. Hands down, Ryan and LeBeau are the top 2 best defensive minds in the NFL. After that, it's a huge drop off. Yep, you read that right, BB isn't even on the radar. For a guy that is supposed to be a defensive "guru", he can't even come up with something to get 1 messily interception from a rookie QB. BB needs to take a page from these guys because the Pats defense might be the most vanilla in the league (formally held by the Washington Redskins and Tennessee Titans).

-However, although their defense gave up a couple 3rd and longs, they played well enough to win.

- I think the Pats are officially insane when it comes to offense. In fact, they have become the most predicable offense in the NFL. Whether they get a great first down run or not, they will ultimately abandon it and throw their way off the field.

- The Pats have four running backs that are capable of running the football and they throw 47 times today? I can understand if they were getting blown out, but their largest deficit was seven points. In addition, their NT has a bad back and the Pats throw? WTF? I don't want to hear anybody b*tch about Maroney when he gets 6 carries today. What the f*ck are you supposed to do with only 6 carries?

- It's hard for any O-line to block when your averaging 50 attempts per game. Absolutely pathetic!

- Don't be surprised if the Pats don't change their ways on offense. You'd think after Brady was abused in the super bowl they would be more of a running team. I was wrong until Matt Cassel stepped in at QB. You'd think after Brady was coming off of a major knee injury they would be more of a running team. I was wrong again. You'd think because the Pats are struggling on offense they will utilize their good stable of backs and run the football. I will probably be wrong again. I hope the insanity ends.

- As of right now, the Pats are the 3rd best team in the division. They could very well be 0-2 right now if it weren't for a "Eli Manning" miracle play by McKelvin fumbling the football.

Good post...... At some point he's gonna open up the playbook nd take the traing wheels off the D? Teams like Pit and Balt, now the Jets.... They just come get you hell be damned. We use to do more of that, now we just play D like we're protecting the lead?

- Rex Ryan adds a few players on defense and they look like the Ravens. The Pats strip down their entire defense and still look average. Hands down, Ryan and LeBeau are the top 2 best defensive minds in the NFL. After that, it's a huge drop off. Yep, you read that right, BB isn't even on the radar. For a guy that is supposed to be a defensive "guru", he can't even come up with something to get 1 messily interception from a rookie QB. BB needs to take a page from these guys because the Pats defense might be the most vanilla in the league (formally held by the Washington Redskins and Tennessee Titans).

Don't you think you're overreacting just a tad?

It amazes me how much people whine and cry on this board. Heck, people whine when we win, not to mention when we lose.

So after 1 loss we are the "3rd best team in the division", TB is a schmuck, BB is a 3rd-rate coach and lousy defensive mind, the offense is a piece of crap, etc. Come on. Get a grip. All is not lost.

That's not to whitewash the problems, many of which you correctly point out. I agree with you, the offense has gotten predictable and one-dimensional. I've been calling all preseason for a more diversified and balanced attack, and have been shouted down by people on this board who believed that we would be a replica of the 2007 offense. I've said all summer that I liked our offensive balance better last year, and people on this board felt that Brady-to-Moss would solve all. I said earlier this week that TB throwing 54 passe attempts and 380 yards wasn't going to be a long-term recipe for success, and a lot of people scoffed. The offense right now needs a lot of work, starting with the offensive line. We need more commitment to the running game. We're average almost 50 pass attempts a game, and that won't work.

The defense is doing well overall. I agree that the 3rd down defense is still a bit soft and I'd like to see more attacking at times, but overall it's card to complain about 16-17 PPG and 250-280 yards total offense over 2 games, given the Seymour trade, the loss of Mayo, and all the new folks. I think by the end of the season the defense will be fine.

This was not one of TB's or BB's better games, no doubt about it. We haven't looked like world-beaters so far this season, I agree. But we're still 1-1 with the same record as Pittsburgh.

We lost to the better team today, and we have a lot of adjustments to make and a lot of work to do. But it's September, not February. There's lots of time for adjustments, and it's a long season. I'll reserve judgment on whether BB and the coaching staff have lost their touch until seeing how things evolve over the course of the season.

Hands down, Ryan and LeBeau are the top 2 best defensive minds in the NFL. After that, it's a huge drop off. Yep, you read that right, BB isn't even on the radar. For a guy that is supposed to be a defensive "guru", he can't even come up with something to get 1 messily interception from a rookie QB.

Okay, so it's good to know we've got real clarity when it comes to TOTALLY DISQUALIFYING posts for admission into the "deserves to be here" section of the forum. This is absurd. And not just your spelling of "measly."

I feel that this one was squarely on Brady. The O-line gave him enough time. They got a lot of pressure, but excluding a few jailbreaks, he wasn't playing chuck n' duck; he was just unsettled all game long. Unsettled isn't a good enough excuse to miss all of those throws (I'm not sure if excuse is the right word. He doesn't have to answer to us).

We really didn't deserve this win. The fact that our defense was our strong point says enough about this game. I'm not confident about our chances to get to 2-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes