PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: McDaniels will join Pats (Updated: Now Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question:

Can the Patriots sign Brandon Lloyd right now?

I'd wait to see & evaluate pending free-agent WRs after the season, before signing him... There are some good WRs that will be available..

Frankly, I dont this this will happen, anyways...

In 2005, over the last 10 games (inc playoffs) the Pats D allowed 14.8ppg.

Why the improvement?
Bru came back and started playing
Seymour got healthy
Starks was cut
Hobbs started
Vrabel moved to ILB
Colvin started to become Colvin again
Beisel was removed from the starting lineup
Chad Brown was effectively benched
Artrell Hawkins stabilized the SS position

I can't stand Mangini either but to say he did a crap job without understanding the sheer amount of flux on the defensive side of the ball is ignoring the main reason for the defensive shortcomings in the first few weeks of that season.

I could be wrong, but I remember hearing (A) that Belichick took away Mangini's playcalling duties at one point, and (B) that the players didn't like Mangini's defensive style.

I don't think there is an offensive coordinator that has coached this team that I haven't questioned. The reason why I question them is because I think I am smarter then them and I need to remind myself every now and then that I am not :D

heh, I was thinking the same thing. I used to even question Charlie Weiss and some of his play calling and that was when they were winning championships. I too have to remind myself that they are smarter at calling a game than I. Heck there are days I think I could call a better Defensive game than BB and he probably has forgotten more about football than I ever knew.:)

Your memory about 2006 is incorrect. Watson was the second leading receiver on the team, and he was the #1 option until he got hurt.

Agreed

Watson 643yds 3 TD
Graham 235yds 2 TD

Reche caldwell 760yds 4TD
Troy Brown 384yds 3TD
Kevin Faulk 356 Receiving yds 2 TD

as far as bringing in McD..there is no downside, so I'm guessing there will be hundreds of attempts to INVENT some weirdo sky is falling theories in the next ten days or so.

Not that it's necessarily a "down side," but you've got to wonder what the Pats offered Josh to make him jump at this chance, above and beyond the coordinator's job next year. Could it be that BB plans to retire soon and the Pats promised Josh the head coaching job when that happens? I'm guessing that Josh wants another shot at head coach somewhere.

Not that it's necessarily a "down side," but you've got to wonder what the Pats offered Josh to make him jump at this chance, above and beyond the coordinator's job next year. Could it be that BB plans to retire soon and the Pats promised Josh the head coaching job when that happens? I'm guessing that Josh wants another shot at head coach somewhere.

That isn't very consistent with the way BB operates.
I think it is what it is.
McD needs a job, BB needs a coordinator. McD was very successful here, its the best choice for both,

Caldwell was always the #1 that year. The passing game was infuriating - look for Caldwell, look for Brown/Gabriel - then Watson. I lost count of the amount of times that Brady would complete to Watson under heavy pressure due to the fact that Caldwell and whoever else couldn't get open.

....and to think that if the D made a big play in the 2nd 1/2 or a catch is made on 3rd and 4 we are looking at that 2006 team with a whole different perspective. :mad:

Bring McDaniels back means that the offense could get off to a faster starts. Which is what the team needs because the defense is soo bad. With more points means the defense will have to do just enough to win (I hope.)

I'd wait to see & evaluate pending free-agent WRs after the season, before signing him... There are some good WRs that will be available..

Frankly, I dont this this will happen, anyways...

B Lloyd knows the system and has excelled in the system, many other receivers have not been able to play in this system......added value right there.

I could be wrong, but I remember hearing (A) that Belichick took away Mangini's playcalling duties

My understanding is that the vets complained that Mangini's gameplans and playcalling was not perceived as "aggressive" enough and that in order to keep the troops happy, BB made himself a little more visible in the defensive side of things so to ease the vets piece of mind. Did BB take over playcalling or the gameplans? I have no idea. However, I would highly doubt BB NEVER undercut his coaching staff and their authority and essentially neuter EM in front of the players...

at one point, and (B) that the players didn't like Mangini's defensive style.

It's possible that EM had a few lapses in leadership but I go back to what I stated above.

Last edited:
heh, I was thinking the same thing. I used to even question Charlie Weiss and some of his play calling and that was when they were winning championships. I too have to remind myself that they are smarter at calling a game than I. Heck there are days I think I could call a better Defensive game than BB and he probably has forgotten more about football than I ever knew.:)

The interesting thing here is that the Pats run a Ray Perkins offense (see 1993-1996). Weis ran it. Josh ran it. BOB ran it. Over the years I've cursed them all. maybe I just don't like a Perkins offense. :p

Last edited:
finally got my quickly reply button to work.lol.so any hear any update on LLyod coming to the pats

Best news in a long time. I hope he's around for a while this time and we build continuity.

Oh and if Lloyd joins him, amazing

The interesting thing here is that the Pats run a Ray Perkins offense (see 1993-1996). Weis ran it. Josh ran it. BOB ran it. Over the years I've cursed them all. maybe I just don't like a Perkins offense. :p

I think at this point the only thing Ray Perkins would recognize about the offensive system the Patriots run is the terminology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back