PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can We Win With An Entire New Coaching Staff?

No coach past 70 has ever won a Super Bowl. Could Belichick be the first? I suppose anything is possible, but I don't think it's something a man his age is going to do while also serving as a GM. And I don't think he wants to relinquish being GM. So maybe he can coach somewhere else.

For a team starting over, with one of the worst records in the league and needing a new quarterback, this is a multi-year rebuild. if not now, when? It seems like it's time for him to go.
Agreed. The rebuild could be at the flip of a coin.. if.. just if.. we get the QB. I expect the team to add to this putrid roster in FA. However getting the QB is #1. If we do that we could have resurgence that would not take multiple years. This defense is ready made. At full strength they are right up there with 49ers defense for instance. Getting the QB is vital!

Allen and Burrow have each won 4 or 5 playoff games. Herbert has won nothing. Not the same, not even close. After four years in the league either the QB's team should be improving and have hopefully won a playoff game. Herbert has not done either. It appears as though you do not evaluate based on results. At 5-9 and with his coach fire mid-season Herbert has not impressed in 2023.
herbert isn't far off from allen and mahomes this year
they have a historically bad defense
qbs don't operate in a vaccuum. The Chargers didn't fire their HC for no reason during the season.
Maybe i am evaluating on results rather than you. Herbert gets trashed here all the time but we would be lucky if the qb we pick turns out to be as good as herbert is.

qbs don't operate in a vaccuum. The Chargers didn't fire their HC for no reason during the season.
Maybe i am evaluating on results rather than you. Herbert gets trashed here all the time but we would be lucky if the qb we pick turns out to be as good as herbert is.

I will be the first to support Herber when he wins. Maybe in his 5th year? 6th year? When do you think Herbert can win one playoff game?

Bill and Josh to Chargers would be very interesting.

Of course you can win with a change to a new coaching staff, and you can suck as well. It just depends upon who you hire, and who they hire.

Of course you can win with a change to a new coaching staff, and you can suck as well. It just depends upon who you hire, and who they hire.
I think people will be suprised. I believe it's mayo as HC ,Groh as GM. The scouting department, staffers all work for the team not Bill so they remain in my opinion. So I guess we'll see. I'm more concerned about the talent than I am the coach. Players win the games, coaches often loose it.

I think people will be suprised. I believe it's mayo as HC ,Groh as GM. The scouting department, staffers all work for the team not Bill so they remain in my opinion. So I guess we'll see. I'm more concerned about the talent than I am the coach. Players win the games, coaches often loose it.

I am already expecting a top 10 pick next year. Why would we keep the scouting department? Those drafts have been horrible for years & Belichick is not taking all the blame. I know Bill picked Harry, but who pointed toward Thornton ?

Last edited:
I am already expecting a top 10 pick next year. Why would we keep the scouting department? Those drafts have been horrible for years & Belichick is not taking all the blame. I know Bill picked Harry, but who pointer toward Thornton ?
Bill had final say on everything roster related, FAs alike. Yes there were other folks involved but no one had the balls to oppose Bill and say" hey Bill there this WR 4.2 speed, strong can go up and get it, fights for every yard I think we should select AJ brown! "

"Can We Win With An Entire New Coaching Staff?"

I would hope so. Other teams win with coaching staffs that aren't ours. (Or BB's)
Absolutely agree. The NFL has evolved it's all about the talent and how the coaches can mesh and coach up said talent.

I am already expecting a top 10 pick next year. Why would we keep the scouting department? Those drafts have been horrible for years & Belichick is not taking all the blame. I know Bill picked Harry, but who pointer toward Thornton ?
2022 and 2023 went quite well I'd say.

Bill had final say on everything roster related, FAs alike. Yes there were other folks involved but no one had the balls to oppose Bill and say" hey Bill there this WR 4.2 speed, strong can go up and get it, fights for every yard I think we should select AJ brown! "
AJ Brown ran a 4.5 forty. Not that it matters because that metric is mostly useless other than making sure you're not drafting a 4.7 forty WR.

Absolutely agree. The NFL has evolved it's all about the talent and how the coaches can mesh and coach up said talent.
I hate to break it to you but that's been the way of the game for.... forever. Team sports are funny like that.

I hate to break it to you but that's been the way of the game for.... forever. Team sports are funny like that.
Coaching mattered more in the 90s and early 2ks.. but to your point you are correct on that assessment talent wins.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back