PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"It Is What It is"

What's the single most important thing to do now? Draft the right QB and then nurture that QB. Everything else is noise. Van Pelt has a lot of experience as a QB coach, and McAdoo is something of a QB draft wizard - ranked Allen and then Jackson highest in that draft, and previously really wanted the Giants to draft Mahomes.

What's the single most important thing to do now? Draft the right QB and then nurture that QB. Everything else is noise. Van Pelt has a lot of experience as a QB coach, and McAdoo is something of a QB draft wizard - ranked Allen and then Jackson highest in that draft, and previously really wanted the Giants to draft Mahomes.

trade down

we could have had keenan allen for a 4th rounder.
We could have riddley
we've done nothing to improve the team, and may have actually gotten worse.
So Ridley at any price is what you were wanting? If the Pats offered $25 million a year and the Titans countered with $30 million, are you still going?

Also, I had the discussion with 5 people at work today, none of which are Bears fans. (And no Patriots fans for that matter) Not one person didn't instantly get a confused look on their face when I brought up Chicago, a team that is much further off than being one or two players away, having traded a 4th round pick for a 32 year old WR, regardless of his current ability.

That's a hell of a trade for a team like the Chiefs, Ravens, 49ers, etc. IMO that isn't a good trade for Chicago, and even less so New England.

This is just nuts!
planet of the apes its a mad house GIF

I agree, the QB is everything. I know we aren't going to address all the needs in FA, but your right AVP is a QB whisperer. Who we will get at QB is an unknown I have no idea who the team will select. With they move up? Down? Who knows. But we can all agree we will have a QB.

We need to be also suring up the the O line to protect the draft pick.

I get it now. The year will be a downer and there are no quick or easy fixes. Patriots fans will need to take their medicine for a few years...because Bill destroyed this team for 4 years.
There have been plenty of examples in recent history of quick turnarounds from low points (Chiefs, Niners, Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys< Rams and Seahawks) but Bill could not do this and now the team is paying the price for his ineptitude.
If Kraft did all these things. (And skimped on the facility to the point where it got one of the lowest grades in the NFLPA survey) And Free Agency spending this year is basically the same as it's been for over 20 years, why is it Bill that "destroyed this team for 4 years"? Doesn't Kraft deserve quite a bit of blame too?

Was a Macadoo ever even a scout or personnel guy? Even as a coach who's the best QB he did draft?

Was a Macadoo ever even a scout or personnel guy? Even as a coach who's the best QB he did draft?
Worth noting all the people who try to tout that completely ignore that McAdoo had Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, AND Mason Rudolph ahead of Baker Mayfield so... it just seems like cherrypicking the good from a QB Ranking list that anybody in the NFL and thousands of NFL fans do every year.

I'm sure there were fans and other scouts/GMs/HCs who had Mahomes as their 1st or 2nd QB on the board that year... he was a Top 10 pick after all. It was an obvious consensus that Watson/Mahomes/Trubisky were the top 3 QBs... just a matter of the "eye of the beholder" on where you slotted them.

Had a very good conversation with a dog behaviorist about canine separation anxiety recently. This is a very difficult disorder to treat, and like serious human trauma, almost always requires medication to calm the mind so that behavioral therapy can have impact. People who try to treat it without putting their dog on meds are wasting their time and prolonging their dogs' misery.

Ummm.... How does Mayo have no coordinator experience? He was the co-defensive coordinator for what the last three or four years. Just because he didn't have the title or make the play calls on game day doesn't mean he has no experience. In fact, the way he and Steve Belichick divided responsibilities, Mayo was given the roles which would be most beneficial as a head coach.

we could have had keenan allen for a 4th rounder.
We could have riddley
we've done nothing to improve the team, and may have actually gotten worse.

Why would the Pats want Allen at 32 with a long injury history. He is a short term answer for a team that needs a receiver to go to the next level this year. Odds are that he is an one year rental for the Bears.

And how do you know they could have had Ridley? From accounts, the Pats made an offer that was a gross overpay for Ridley ($22 million a year with over $40 million guaranteed). How do we know that Tennessee didn't come in at the last minute and ask what it takes for him to sign with them and they gave him this offer and Ridley never gave the Pats a chance to match or beat the offer?

Last edited:
Why would the Pats want Allen at 32 with a long injury history. He is a short term answer for a team that needs a receiver to go to the next level this year. Odds are that he is an one year rental for the Jags. They need to bust through to the next level this year and become a contender. This is the fourth year of Trevor Lawrence and he hasn't lived up to expectations and took a step back last year. What good is an one year rental like Allen is for the Pats when they are at least two to three years from being a contender again?

And how do you know they could have had Ridley? From accounts, the Pats made an offer that was a gross overpay for Ridley ($22 million a year with over $40 million guaranteed). How do we know that Tennessee didn't come in at the last minute and ask what it takes for him to sign with them and they gave him this offer and Ridley never gave the Pats a chance to match or beat the offer?
They have 50 million in cap space and addressed zero major needs.

They have 50 million in cap space and addressed zero major needs.

Cap space can be rolled over. Why throw money away? The Pats aren't anywhere this year.

The only receiver in the NFL who has more guaranteed money in their contract than Calvin Ridley now has is Tyreek Hill. Hill is one of the two or three best WRs in the league. Ridley is in the high teens or low 20s. The Titans threw away money to way overpay for a very good, not great WR who has a history of being unreliable. And even then the Pats did make a very good offer to him which probably was a gross overpay too.

Fact is this free agent class was weak. It was even worse at the Pats' areas of need. I don't want the Pats throwing away money this year on players who aren't an area of need, short term rentals, or just are way over priced and rob money from them doing things when they are close breaking through.

People are upset that the Jets got Tyron Smith and the Pats didn't. But look at the two teams. The Jets are in win now mode with the window of winning with Rodgers closing fast (may already be closed, but no one will know until this season). Smith is perfect for them as an one or two year rental. For the Pats, he will be retired before the Pats are any good.

I wish the Pats did more in free agency, but what would have happened is they spent a lot of money of players that weren't pressing needs. If the Pats spent in the first week of free agency, it would have probably have been on defense. That is because that was where all the top free agents were.

Why would the Pats want Allen at 32 with a long injury history. He is a short term answer for a team that needs a receiver to go to the next level this year. Odds are that he is an one year rental for the Bears.

I dunno man, Why did we get rid of jacoby myers for Juju injury plagued?
Why did we extend injury plagued, fingertip-less parker?

Allen is better then both of those scrubs.

I don’t get the Vrabel love. What has he done in Tennessee that was all that special and why would he be a good coach here?

He was NFL Coach of the Year in 2021 and led Tennessee to the playoffs in three of his six seasons there, going 54-45. Vrabel is a solid head coach and was my preference to succeed BB. He would've come here with a good staff and hit the ground running, IMO. But Bob Kraft had his binky so here we go.

If the Pats hit on a stud QB and OT in the draft, if Wolf finds some weapons... this team can be as good as they want to be.

Doom and gloom before free agency concludes and a month before the draft is silly.

If the Pats hit on a stud QB and OT in the draft, if Wolf finds some weapons... this team can be as good as they want to be.

Doom and gloom before free agency concludes and a month before the draft is silly.
I like to think I'm a very optimistic member and I'm trying to stay positive. But coming off last year's record and the start to this new regime I have to say it's hard not have a sense of doom and gloom.

I absolutely agree we need to preach patience and I like a lot of the re-signs and I like Hooper, We still absolutely need a LT, but lord help me if we don't get a QB in the first doom and gloom won't be the description.

I like to think I'm a very optimistic member and I'm trying to stay positive. But coming off last year's record and the start to this new regime I have to say it's hard not have a sense of doom and gloom.

I absolutely agree we need to preach patience and I like a lot of the re-signs and I like Hooper, We still absolutely need a LT, but lord help me if we don't get a QB in the first doom and gloom won't be the description.
They need a solid burst of value vet free agent signings now, sure I'm happy they signed all their own guys that mattered, but there is great value sitting out there right now.

Now is when Wolf should start earning his money.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back