PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: McDaniels will join Pats (Updated: Now Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish we could get Lloyd now he would be a much better option then Ochostinko.

I wish it was Romeo Crennel coming in.:(This defense is gonna have to make stops and thats the big question mark right now.

I'm fine with Lloyd wanting to come to NE as long as he understands he WON'T be the focal point of the passing game. If he's willing to jump in with Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, and Co., then I'm all for it. I just don't know if he has that kind of personality, though. He seems like the type that just wants the ball all the time . . . didn't he complain about not getting enough looks in Denver after McD left?

I wish it was Romeo Crennel coming in.:(This defense is gonna have to make stops and thats the big question mark right now.

You have no idea how much I was wishing for this to happen. I wanted it so badly. I'm happy for him, though. I'm glad that he's getting another chance to do his coaching thing.

One simple reason why he's not: no vacancy on the staff.

My understanding is that the vets complained that Mangini's gameplans and playcalling was not perceived as "aggressive" enough and that in order to keep the troops happy, BB made himself a little more visible in the defensive side of things so to ease the vets piece of mind. Did BB take over playcalling or the gameplans? I have no idea. However, I would highly doubt BB NEVER undercut his coaching staff and their authority and essentially neuter EM in front of the players...

It's possible that EM had a few lapses in leadership but I go back to what I stated above.

Bill's DC's at that time (not sure if they still do consistently with the headsets in the 2 defensive captains helmets although Patricia seems to be in red most weeks) always wore red so players could locate them easily to get calls. Bill took the red sweatshirt away from Eric and wore it himself. Which may have exacerbated Eric's rumored delusion that Bill was trying to keep him down due to insecurity rather than because he knew he wasn't there yet. As for the relationship with the veterans, most of that was attitude driven. They didn't like Eric's bedside manner, he wasn't inclined to listen to their input as BB did, in part because while they got he supposedly a schematic savant he was still Bill's former ball boy from Cleveland. Eric has a way of rubbing players the wrong way the more authority he was given. Saw it in bite him in the ass in NY and Cleveland, too. He was determined to run before he walked (or proved to their satisfaction he could) and he seemed intent on emulating his perception of how Bill comports himself (in possession of a handful of rings).

Most mediots feel Eric's bridge didn't just burn, it vaporized. Trust is the foundation of everything these players and coaches accomplish on and off the field, If we make it to Indy this year and Bill grants a sit down to Tom Jackson, then maybe one day Eric gets a second chance. I wouldn't hold my breath on either happening. It's one thing to be sorry (or have regrets...) but it's another to truly have learned from your mistakes and changed who and what you are at your core.

That's personnel, not coaching. Rac can't block or cover for **** these days... And he can't make these guys play any better than Bill and Matt and Pepper can. I'd love to see RAC come back...with Rodney and Tedy and Vrabes and Willie and Ty all in their primes. But they can't block or cover for **** these days, either.

What OC wouldn't be drooling at the thought of having Brady, Welker and those TE's? if they wouldn't be excited to be part of this, then coaching offense wouldn't be their first preference. Heck, they may not even like football (if such a person exists).

Really? LLoyd is 3 years younger than Wayne. Wayne has been a good receiver, but I think you can stick a fork in him, he's done.

Not sure he's done, but when Harrison went in that system he dropped like a rock over about a season. It's also a very different system based on simplicity, QB reads and pre snap calls, timing and execution. Wayne's got the route running skills, not sure if he has the capacity to adapt to the read responsibilities and myriad of options and personnel packages.

Lloyd has two years in the system. Unless he has attitude issues about being a WR in a version of it that focuses on TE's because it has them, he should be a lot lower risk addition than someone like Wayne. Although they'd both still have to prove they can execute within this system at the level Brady runs it.

That's personnel, not coaching. Rac can't block or cover for **** these days... And he can't make these guys play any better than Bill and Matt and Pepper can. I'd love to see RAC come back...with Rodney and Tedy and Vrabes and Willie and Ty all in their primes. But they can't block or cover for **** these days, either.
Rac could probably help them make better personnel decisions on D. That alone would be worth it.

Rac could probably help them make better personnel decisions on D. That alone would be worth it.

Now we have to revise history to say that Romeo Crennell made personell decisions?

Won't help 'em this season. Not sure RAC ever had that much involvement in personnel decisions here back in the Pioli days. Few coordinators do. And it's not like he showed he had that kind of impact prowess in Cleveland.

Cleveland Browns NFL Draft History

4 - Beau Bell LB Nevada-Las Vegas
4 - Martin Rucker TE Missouri
6 - Ahtyba Rubin DT Iowa State
6 - Paul Hubbard WR Wisconsin
7 - Alex Hall DE St. Augustine's

1 - Joe Thomas T Wisconsin
1 - Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame
2 - Eric Wright DB Nevada-Las Vegas
5 - Brandon McDonald DB Memphis
6 - Melila Purcell DE Hawaii
7 - Chase Pittman DE Louisiana State
7 - Syndric Steptoe WR Arizona

1 - Kamerion Wimbley LB Florida State
2 - D'Qwell Jackson LB Maryland
3 - Travis Wilson WR Oklahoma
4 - Leon Williams LB Miami (FL)
4 - Isaac Sowells G Indiana
5 - Jerome Harrison RB Washington State
5 - DeMario Minter DB Georgia
6 - Lawrence Vickers RB Colorado
6 - Baba Oshinowo DT Stanford
7 - Justin Hamilton DB Virginia Tech

1 - Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
2 - Brodney Pool DB Oklahoma
3 - Charlie Frye QB Akron
4 - Antonio Perkins DB Oklahoma
5 - David McMillan DE Kansas
6 - Nick Speegle LB New Mexico
6 - Andrew Hoffman DT Virginia
7 - Jon Dunn T Virginia Tech

According to his former GM, the coaching staff chose to target Wimbley over some guy named Haloti Ngata.

Are assistant coaches even allowed in the war room during the Patriots Draft? I thought I read they weren't in War Room but don't have it handy.

Schefter tweets its official.
Josh McDaniels and Patriots officially have agreed to new deal. McDaniels will be off asst during playoffs, OC next season. Job starts Sun.

JasonLaCanforaJason La Canfora

McDaniels will serve as an assistant until New England's season ends, when Bill O'Brien becomes coach at Penn State and McDaniels is the OC

2 minutes ago

Josh McDaniels has agreed to terms with the Patriots on multi-year deal. Will join their staff this week, as soon as Mon #insideslant

2 minutes ago

McDaniels will serve as an assistant until New England's season ends, when Bill O'Brien becomes coach at Penn State and McDaniels is the OC

2 minutes ago

Josh McDaniels has agreed to terms with the Patriots on multi-year deal. Will join their staff this week, as soon as Mon #insideslant

2 minutes ago

I just have an excitement over this that I can hardly contain. I love the move. If he is willing to use the TE's, which I'm sure he will be, then this offense will be even scarier next season.

BB, please use our high draft picks on some defensive studs, and this team will have a bright, almost blindingly so, future.

Are assistant coaches even allowed in the war room during the Patriots Draft? I thought I read they weren't in War Room but don't have it handy.

I think its program to program. IIRC back in the day, Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren had Fritz Schumer in the war room but that was over 15 years ago...

With that said, I do think a few things do happen...

1) The coaching staff has access to the scouting reports and will go on scouting trips.
2) They will be distributed the "draft board" and depending on the organization be asked for an opinion on players, draft position, value, etc.

As I understand it, prior to the 2000 draft **** Rehbein was asked to stack rank the QBs in the draft, he ranked Brady in the top 3 or 4 of all the QBs avail. When Brady was available ( don't know the round he was called or if is was before pick 199), BB called DR and asked how sure he was on Brady. DR said draft him now...The rest is history. I love that story.

Last edited:

2 minutes ago

2 minutes ago

I'm really curious to know the $$$.

My only worry with mcdaniels is, isn't there a stigma that he doesn't use tight ends very well in his offense? I can't remember where i am getting this from and maybe it's wrong but i thought that was a trend of his.

Hey as long as this doesn't affect the team in the playoffs negativley i am all for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back