PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: McDaniels will join Pats (Updated: Now Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have him sit in a booth upstairs somewhere and help with adjustment as we go along.

I just have an excitement over this that I can hardly contain. I love the move. If he is willing to use the TE's, which I'm sure he will be, then this offense will be even scarier next season.

Belichick is bringing Josh back as OC because BOB relies too much on TEs. Josh will get the ball to Branch, Ocho and Tiquan with the TEs as blockers and 4th options. This will reduce the TEs' numbers and make their next contracts value deals.

My only worry with mcdaniels is, isn't there a stigma that he doesn't use tight ends very well in his offense? I can't remember where i am getting this from and maybe it's wrong but i thought that was a trend of his.

Hey as long as this doesn't affect the team in the playoffs negativley i am all for it
The Rams were top 5 in the NFL in usage of 2 TE sets with mediocre talent at the position (Hoomanawanui, Kendricks, etc.) so he'll have no problem using 2 elite talents like Gronk and Hernandez. It's pretty clear McDaniels is one of those who thinks the game is involving in a way that makes TE mismatches now and he's got 2 of the best in the league now.

You are right that it was considered a trend in the past, but it's tough to fault McDaniels for that. We didn't use the TE's a lot because they just weren't that good. Watson was used just as little in 2009 when McDaniels was gone and we had a glaring need for someone to step up due to having Galloway/Aiken as the 3rd WR.

Belichick is bringing Josh back as OC because BOB relies too much on TEs. Josh will get the ball to Branch, Ocho and Tiquan with the TEs as blockers and 4th options. This will reduce the TEs' numbers and make their next contracts value deals.

Belichick has been trying to find tight ends like these for 10 years, so why would he try to minimize their impact? No way...

It's Official: McDaniels back, will begin Monday

Just saw this reported on the Detroit/New Orleans halftime show on NBC.

Great news.

Its official Josh McD will join the Pats this season

Just heard it on NBC during the halftime show.........will post the link once its up on the web

Re: It's Official: McDaniels back, will begin Monday

Can we get Brandon Lloyd now as well since he's willing to follow McD?

Re: Its official Josh McD will join the Pats this season

Not to be an ******* or anything, but why not just add that to the existing McD thread?

Re: Its official Josh McD will join the Pats this season

Not to be an ******* or anything, but why not just add that to the existing McD thread?
give it an hour or so it will be merged to the thread u mentioned :cool:

This is great news, not only for this play-off run, but also for the future.

We should start grooming one of the younger kids though as Josh will eventually get another HC shot.

My only worry with mcdaniels is, isn't there a stigma that he doesn't use tight ends very well in his offense? I can't remember where i am getting this from and maybe it's wrong but i thought that was a trend of his.

Hey as long as this doesn't affect the team in the playoffs negativley i am all for it
I think the stigma your referring to was created here, people keep repeating that McDaniels doesn't use tight ends well. Something will get repeated on here some many times it gets a life of its own and becomes fact. Also I don't think he really had any decent ones to work with when he was last here. Certainly not the caliber of Gronk and Hernandez.

Last edited:
I asked that question...they told me..."he makes eleventy eight cents an hour"..sounds like a good part time job...

This is great news, not only for this play-off run, but also for the future.

We should start grooming one of the younger kids though as Josh will eventually get another HC shot.

That would be Brian Ferentz, currently the TE coach. Apparently they think he's going to be good, but isn't quite ready yet.

Just saw this reported on the Detroit/New Orleans halftime show on NBC.

Great news.

We will become a much better screen team with Josh calling plays. Most time when an OC leave it leaves a hole in the teams offense, with Josh the Pats know what he brings, the players know what he brings and he knows what the players bring. Win for everybody all around. From what I heard O'Brien has a yound family and the college life will allow him more time at home. I hope Bill O'Brien has great success at Penn State.

The Rams were top 5 in the NFL in usage of 2 TE sets with mediocre talent at the position (Hoomanawanui, Kendricks, etc.) so he'll have no problem using 2 elite talents like Gronk and Hernandez. It's pretty clear McDaniels is one of those who thinks the game is involving in a way that makes TE mismatches now and he's got 2 of the best in the league now.

You are right that it was considered a trend in the past, but it's tough to fault McDaniels for that. We didn't use the TE's a lot because they just weren't that good. Watson was used just as little in 2009 when McDaniels was gone and we had a glaring need for someone to step up due to having Galloway/Aiken as the 3rd WR.

fair enough. Yeah i just wanted to double check because i do remember some chatter on this board that he wasn't very good at using TE's and the last thing i really ant is the TE's used less as they have been a great part of a great offense.

Will be ver interesting if Lloyd now comes to the pats. That would answer everyones concerns about a deep threat, he is proven in our type of system and would also really save us a draft pick. Leaving a wr core of welker, branch, ocho and Lloyd.can't see much wrong with that except for age.

Here's a question....

Should the Pats win the SB....Does McDaniels get a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back