PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: McDaniels will join Pats (Updated: Now Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Bill likes Josh and was disappointed with how Denver handled Josh. That being said, i do not want Josh as the next head coach of the Pats. I don't believe he's got to be a good HC nor do I believe he's got what it takes when it comes to talent evaluation. I think that Josh's ceiling is that of an OC. A good OC, but still only an OC.

I know that Bill likes Josh and was disappointed with how Denver handled Josh. That being said, i do not want Josh as the next head coach of the Pats. I don't believe he's got to be a good HC nor do I believe he's got what it takes when it comes to talent evaluation. I think that Josh's ceiling is that of an OC. A good OC, but still only an OC.

Josh is 36 years old in April. It's too bad that you're putting a ceiling on someone so young.

The argument that he may not be ready when Bill is ready to leave is possible...we agree on that point but to say he can't do it for some team after several more years in the league is just not accurate.

Last edited:
Josh is 36 years old in April. It's too bad that you're putting a ceiling on someone so young.

The argument that he may not be ready when Bill is ready to leave is possible...we agree on that point but to say he can't do it for some team after several more years in the league is just not accurate.

Yup. I don't know why knuckleheads have to play connect the dots on every move, though. Josh's return has nothing to do with Bill's retirement. And Bill obviously thought Josh has what it takes to be a HC one day. Just because he failed the first time out, as did Bill, doesn't change that unless Josh turns out to be a guy who doesn't learn from his mistakes. And if that we're the case he wouldn't have succeeded here the first time or been brought back IMO. It's more likely he and Caserio land somewhere together one day, seeing as Josh brought Caserio to the teams attention. Or that Josh land in KC or Atlanta one of these days, but that's just because Bill isn't likely going anywhere in the next 4-5 years while it's a lot more likely those gigs will be open within the next couple of years.

With his last draft in the first round for the Broncos, McDaniels selected Thomas and Tebow. With how things have turned out for Denver this year (in huge part to those two guys), I'd say McDaniels is a pretty decent talent evaluator.

Also, has maverick4 been put on suicide watch yet?

I'm making the rounds of NFL websites this morning, washing down my breakfast with a nice cold glass of shadenfreude.

ALL of the national sites are playing up the McDaniels angle pretty heavily. (Pretty good stuff by Peter King in MMQB). As I'm reading it all, I got a mental image of Belichick getting that look as he's asked yet another Josh-Broncos question. Gotta think this whole story line will make this week's media meetings even more tortuous than usual for BB.

Oh Gee that's the same way i felt about BB until he got a second chance.:snob:

Denver is certainly paying the price for his talent evaluation woes.

Assistant Head Coach?

from New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

McDaniels as Belichick's "right-hand" man? In discussing how Josh McDaniels might contribute to the team, something Bill Belichick said drew attention. "He’s here to help us any way he can, whether that’s with me or the offensive staff or anything else," Belichick said. Later, Belichick added, "He’ll help me, he’ll help the offensive staff, Billy [O’Brien] or whoever else it is." When Belichick twice mentioned the possibility of McDaniels helping him on responsibilities related to the head-coaching position, I thought that spoke to the trust he has in McDaniels. Can't think of too many people in the NFL who would be able to slide into that type of role right now.

Is this saying Josh is not going to the OC?

Re: Assistant Head Coach?

from New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Is this saying Josh is not going to the OC?

Not for now, I wouldn't think. BOB is the OC, and you need more than a week to jump into that role. He'll need a full offseason for that. Seems to me like Belichick was just (vaguely) explaining the types of responsibilities that he'll have from now to the end of the season.

Dante Scarnecchia is the official Assistant Head Coach.

Typical Belichick obfuscation, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes