PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: McDaniels will join Pats (Updated: Now Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it is official? Josh is back?

998434318_mcdaniels_122_812lo.jpg

So...

The report is that McDaniels is onboard basically immediately. He will help BB and BOB in game plan preparation and film work...

Sweet…now let's get Josh McD that ring he missed out on in 2007!

Anyone else picturing Mangini's face as he learns that one of the prodigal sons is being brought back home?

Excellent point.

In a way you can understand EM and his desire to be a HC a.s.a.p. However, it was at the cost of burning the bridge to BB. And considering that BB is the most well established coach, a sizable reach of solid relationships throughout the NFL and college, and in charge of one of the best franchises in the NFL, that was a considerable risk for EM to fast track his HCing career. No doubt in my mind if EM leaves the Patriots/BB on good terms (like JM), he could have had a seat back at BB's table.
Obviously EM failed the HC gig and his the road back home was closed......just desserts some might say. To me it is unfortunate due to my belief the Patriots could have used EM's work on the D side of the ball.

What a fortunate turn of events for BB and the Patriots. A high caliber football mind, intimate knowledge of the Patriot offensive methodology, proven track record of being in synch with BB and TFB......and he now is part of the insomniac film watching/breakdown crew a week prior to our division round game with Pitt. Excellent news.

If the Patriots' game planning is still unable to crack the Pitt defense like in the first meeting earlier this season??? Pitt has our number this year and we were likely never going to get past them.

Last edited:
Welcome back Josh McDaniels!

As for Ratgini, the closest he will ever come to Bill Belichick's staff is delivering pizzas to Gillette Stadium.

What i find interesting is the last place Rams were not worried about losing Josh.

Tom Brady sure does develop some great coaches.

Welcome back Josh McDaniels!

As for Ratgini, the closest he will ever come to Bill Belichick's staff is delivering pizzas to Gillette Stadium.

You realize Mangini has made millions of dollars as a HC right? I don't think he will have to resort to delivering pizzas, especially when he has a job getting paid pretty well as an analyst too.

What i find interesting is the last place Rams were not worried about losing Josh.

That's because their new owner Kronke apparently doesn't have the courage of his convictions so he going to go the retread path and put all his eggs in Fisher's basket, even as Fisher ****s around with Miami to try and sweeten the pot.

Excellent point.

In a way you can understand EM and his desire to be a HC a.s.a.p. However, it was at the cost of burning the bridge to BB. And considering that BB is the most well established coach, a sizable reach of solid relationships throughout the NFL and college, and in charge of one of the best franchises in the NFL, that was a considerable risk for EM to fast track his HCing career. No doubt in my mind if EM leaves the Patriots/BB on good terms (like JM), he could have had a seat back at BB's table.
Obviously EM failed the HC gig and his the road back home was closed......just desserts some might say. To me it is unfortunate due to my belief the Patriots could have used EM's work on the D side of the ball.

I've always understood that the frostiness toward EM from BB had to do with spygate much more than it did with EM leaving the pats for the jets, though that was clearly a part of it.

I've always understood that the frostiness toward EM from BB had to do with spygate much more than it did with EM leaving the pats for the jets, though that was clearly a part of it.

If any friend of mine betrayed me the way Ratgini did, I would be frosty too. Hell, I would beat the **** out of them. Things like that are not easily forgotten.

McDaniels was the only coach the Rams kept when they fired Spagnuolo, so I'm not really sure where you're getting your idea. It's known that McDaniels and Fisher had a very public back-and-forth, and it's been expected that the Rams would have to cut McDaniels loose if they got Fisher as the H.C.. Under those circumstances, it makes sense for the Rams to let McDaniels out of his contract, particularly since there was only one year left on it and letting him go saved the Rams from paying him. Kroenke is known to be a McDaniels fan and Bradford was very public in his desire to have McDaniels return.

And McDaniels was still a top tier O.C. without Brady in 2008.

I've always understood that the frostiness toward EM from BB had to do with CAMERAgate much more than it did with EM leaving the pats for the jets, though that was clearly a part of it.

Altered a key misunderstanding on your part. :)

Kroenke is known to be a McDaniels fan and Bradford was very public in his desire to have McDaniels return.

Sam Bradford was asked that question while McDaniels was still his coach, so it doesn't really mean anything. What was Bradford supposed to say? It's more telling that after behind the doors conversations the Rams were willing to let McDaniels leave immediately and absolve him of contract obligations.

Sam Bradford was asked that question while McDaniels was still his coach, so it doesn't really mean anything. What was Bradford supposed to say? It's more telling that after behind the doors conversations the Rams were willing to let McDaniels leave immediately and absolve him of contract obligations.

At least Patriots dont need to give compensation to Rams..

Questions I have is:

Will Josh's re-hire cause friction with Dante (Assistant-HC) and/or Ferentz ?

Will Josh's re-hire mean he will become Assitant-HC after 2012 season?

I think your anti-McDaniels bias pretty much makes all of your speculations worthless.

At least Patriots dont need to give compensation to Rams..

Questions I have is:

Will Josh's re-hire cause friction with Dante (Assistant-HC) and/or Ferentz ?

Will Josh's re-hire mean he will become Assitant-HC after 2012 season?

Why would it? Other than because some of you have to look for any potential cloud in the presence of a silver lining.

Josh was the OC here before and Dante was the asst. HC... And Ferentz has only been on staff 4 years and two of those were as a scout for the personnel dept. He wasn't even a position coach until this season. Brian is likely two years away from consideration as a coordinator even here. By then Josh could be off to seek his next HCing gig. Ferentz needs some seasoning and Bill usually moves his brightest guys around on offense and defense. Ferentz hasn't served as a defensive asst. yet. And he might be a candidate for OL (his college and PS position) to be groomed to take over Dante's slot in the event he contemplates retirement in the next couple of seasons. He's approaching 65 and 40 years as a coach...

McDaniels was the only coach the Rams kept when they fired Spagnuolo, so I'm not really sure where you're getting your idea. It's known that McDaniels and Fisher had a very public back-and-forth, and it's been expected that the Rams would have to cut McDaniels loose if they got Fisher as the H.C.. Under those circumstances, it makes sense for the Rams to let McDaniels out of his contract, particularly since there was only one year left on it and letting him go saved the Rams from paying him. Kroenke is known to be a McDaniels fan and Bradford was very public in his desire to have McDaniels return.

And McDaniels was still a top tier O.C. without Brady in 2008.

Can you divulge more about the MCD Fisher rift? I know BB and Fisher dislikes each other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back