PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter claims Washington on trading block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "Schefter claims Washington on trading block

I have to agree Chambers is overrated. If you look at his Pro Bowl season, he got something like 20% of his yards against the Bills and that was a game where the Bills went up by 21 points in about five minutes and the Dolphins passed like crazy. His rest of the season stats were very pedestrian other than one or two other games. People predicted he was going to be an elite WR based on that.

Personally, I have never seen a #1 WR drop as many balls at this guy. He has hands of stone encased in marble.

He may be overated but he is better than Gaffney, Washington and Caldwell and although they are different types of receivers he has been more productive than Stallworth.

DS - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=3541
CC - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5499/career;_ylt=AiVRH0TZ__LlSY2a.MPDh4T.uLYF

I know he drops a lot of balls but I like in a David Givens tough guy role, when he doesn actually hang onto the ball he is a load to bring down.

As a sidenote I expect more trades this year than usual because of how close the final cut downs dates are. Nothing major, a late round pick here or there.

Last edited:

Hey, Schefter could be speculating or getting it from sources outside Patriots. I just think with two major scoops about this Patriots this offseason, he may be more connected than you think.

The Washington thing could easily be speculation on Schefter's part, but I don't know if we can outright dismiss it as such. The Pats could be just sending out feelers on Washington to see if anyone will blow them away with an offer (granted blow away for a player like Washington would be a mid to high second day pick), but won't trade him otherwise.

Just because this is the first we heard about it doesn't mean Pioli hasn't been working the phones to trade Washington or probably a half dozen other bubble players. Pioli has said that he is alway talking to other teams during preseason seeing who may be available and who might need certain players. Schefter could have just gotten wind of one of Pioli's typical conversations.
schefter is wired into the league, everything he reports has legs

While I understand the vast majority on this forum have a great deal of respect for Schefter, is it possible for him to be wrong every so often?

The second point is if Washington is truly on the "block," and the team gets in return what it wants, isn't this another win by leveraging the now deep WR corps for something beneficial?

Whoa! I haven't seen any verification of this report. Have you?

We do now:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/08/29/samuel_made_up_ground/

The fifth-year Patriots cornerback, who finally signed his $7.79 million franchise tender yesterday, ended his de facto holdout by getting the team to include a provision in the deal that allows him to avoid being franchised again next season.

So Reiss independently verifies Schefter's story and his timeline over Tomase's. Tomase got it wrong.

schefter is wired into the league, everything he reports has legs

I agree. I have a feeling that he is speculating about Kelley Washington based on what he is hearing from his sources. Schefter does sometimes speculate when he has his analyst hat on, but he seems to not speculate without something behind it in his news stories.

I am guessing he heard rumblings about Washington, but they aren't as firm as the other three WRs. There are probably a dozen WRs who could be on the trading block for the right price. Why single out Washington with the other three?

I see Washington getting traded more realistic than Chambers since the Dolphins seem to not have any other WR who can start. They have swapped the #2 WR each of the games.

Adam schefter does have a very good relationship with the patriots. he broke the adaius thomas story on WEEI before any one and the moss deal. Actually, if i remember thomas,wes and morris all were broken on WEEI in the same interview.

he has made a nice niche for himself .

satz

Last edited:

While I understand the vast majority on this forum have a great deal of respect for Schefter, is it possible for him to be wrong every so often?

The second point is if Washington is truly on the "block," and the team gets in return what it wants, isn't this another win by leveraging the now deep WR corps for something beneficial?

Schefter does get things wrong as much as any other guy. He seems to be plugged in more than most national guys. He did speculate that Chad Jackson could get cut which makes little sense and didn't happen (at least yet), but he could have been speculating on inside information. Or he could have been speculating based on the vast depth we have at a position. Either scenario are possible for Washington.

As getting value for Washington since we are deep at the position, I agree 100%. If Washington is boardline on getting cut anyway, why not get something for him? Even the Caldwell haters have to admit if he is our fifth WR, we have a strong, deep receiving corp top to bottom. A sixth or seventh rounder could eventually be packaged with another pick to get a starting WR for us for the next six or seven years next year. Or it could become the next David Givens (or a similiar type player at another position).

Adam schefter does have a very good relationship with the patriots. he broke the adaius thomas story on WEEI before any one and the moss deal. Actually, if i remember thomas,wes and morris all were broken on WEEI in the same interview.

he has made a nice niche for himself .

satz

I forgot the AD story. So he broke three major Patriots stories this offseason. He has to be plugged into someone with the Pats.

Millen specializes in drafting useless receivers in the first round... I mean, I guess he could give up a 2 for a bust, and have a real bonanza, a bust #1 pick plus trade a #2 on a bust from Miami... but how Millen can he get in one off-season?

Hey! Hey any chance we get our hands on Charles Rogers? That guy has all-pro written all over him...

PFnV

Millen does suck, no dount about it but Roy Williams is terrific, Calvin Johnson looks like a stud and Furrey is very solid. I would take their WRs any day of the week.

Of course they had to finish last or next to last for the past 7 years to get these picks, I would rather have 3 rings.

But I digress, back to the question at hand. If Caldwell or Washington get traded for a draft pick all we can expect is a Day 2 pick, likely roun 6, round 5 if we absolutely get a steal.

What is we traded for a similar player at a position of need? maybe a short yardage RB or TE. Are there any other positions we could improve the bottom end of our depth.

But I digress, back to the question at hand. If Caldwell or Washington get traded for a draft pick all we can expect is a Day 2 pick, likely roun 6, round 5 if we absolutely get a steal.

What is we traded for a similar player at a position of need? maybe a short yardage RB or TE. Are there any other positions we could improve the bottom end of our depth.

Player for player trades are more common today than in the past, but they are still rare in the NFL. I don't know if we need another RB though.

I think with Williams, Clayton, and Chambers potentially on the market; our chances of getting a player in return of value is probably not likely. It seems to be a buyer's market at the WR position if Schefter is right. I think we can get more value in a pick than a player.

But I digress, back to the question at hand. If Caldwell or Washington get traded for a draft pick all we can expect is a Day 2 pick, likely round 6, round 5 if we absolutely get a steal.

What if we traded for a similar player at a position of need? Maybe a short yardage RB or TE. Are there any other positions we could improve the bottom end of our depth?

OG, if Hochstein can't answer the bell by at least the SD game;

NT, if neither LeKevin nor Rashad Moore can provide competant backup; and...

...ILB. Nuff sed there.

I heard him on Total Access and I thought he said Washington was "being discussed" in possible trades, not "on the block".

It may be semantics, but I'm not surprised the Pats are trying to garner some return on their excess talent at WR, especially while Chad Jackson and Troy Brown are on the reserve PUP and they probably only want to keep 5 WR. I'm sure there have been discussions about trades at WR, and Washington has been one of the guys talked about.

Is it me or are the Pats suffering from a case of loose lips lately.

Whether it's on purpose or not, it seems the Pats have become very leaky with information.

When you put feelers out for a trade, it's generally the OTHER folks who leak the info. Similarly with contract information and so on - agents and people close to the players.

You can have agreements not to talk about it, but you can't punish the paralegal who works for the agent and leaked it (even if the agent wanted them to), or the friend of the player etc.

Reche Caldwell is the third best WR on this team. I really don't understand the hate.

You're crazy if you think this... maybe fifth best.

What front office would be foolish enough to give a 5th round pick for a WR that....uh, never mind.

What front office would be foolish enough to give a 5th round pick for a WR that....uh, never mind.

This is why the open the season with 6 WR on the roster. They have much more of a chance of getting something for WR #6 after the season starts and all the player cuts are signed than right now.

Sometime around week 4, some team will have lost someone, and the Pats could swoop in, get a 5th or so, and live with 5 WR for a couple weeks until the PUPsters get back.

This is why the open the season with 6 WR on the roster. They have much more of a chance of getting something for WR #6 after the season starts and all the player cuts are signed than right now.

Sometime around week 4, some team will have lost someone, and the Pats could swoop in, get a 5th or so, and live with 5 WR for a couple weeks until the PUPsters get back.

I think his point was that the Patriots traded a 5th for Gabriel last year...

how is that working out for ya...

Last edited:

You're crazy if you think this... maybe fifth best.

Really? FWIW, Welker is a role player -- not a complete WR at all. He doesn't have the versatility to say, line him up wide and end him deep. In that respect, he's almost like a TE. Brown is on the PUP list. So that leaves:

Moss
Stallworth
Caldwell
Gaffney
Washington
Caldwell
Kight
Childress

I put Caldwell at #3 on this list. Some might argue he's #4.

He may be overated but he is better than Gaffney, Washington and Caldwell and although they are different types of receivers he has been more productive than Stallworth.

DS - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=3541
CC - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5499/career;_ylt=AiVRH0TZ__LlSY2a.MPDh4T.uLYF

I know he drops a lot of balls but I like in a David Givens tough guy role, when he doesn actually hang onto the ball he is a load to bring down.

As a sidenote I expect more trades this year than usual because of how close the final cut downs dates are. Nothing major, a late round pick here or there.

I agree. Chambers is a much better WR than Caldwell and Gaffney .... combined even.

The Dolphins aint the brightest people in the league. Maybe the Pats can trade both Gaffney and Caldwell for Chambers. That way we can keep Washington and trot out a fearsome 5-some of Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Chambers, and Washington.

Then again, Chambers' cap hit is probably quite high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back