PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter claims Washington on trading block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "Schefter claims Washington on trading block

I agree. Chambers is a much better WR than Caldwell and Gaffney .... combined even.

The Dolphins aint the brightest people in the league. Maybe the Pats can trade both Gaffney and Caldwell for Chambers. That way we can keep Washington and trot out a fearsome 5-some of Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Chambers, and Washington.

Then again, Chambers' cap hit is probably quite high.

now your just talking Madden videogame

no way will u get a trade for that

1. Dolphins dont need WRs who cant catch
2. Chambers is staying a Dolphin
3. Why would we bring another player in with a big cap who cant catch?

now your just talking Madden videogame

no way will u get a trade for that

1. Dolphins dont need WRs who cant catch
2. Chambers is staying a Dolphin
3. Why would we bring another player in with a big cap who cant catch?

Sorry you lost me here.

You claim that the Dolphins don't need a WR who can't catch (#1) yet you believe that Chambers isn't going anywhere (#2) despite acknowledging that he can't catch (#3)

:confused:

I put Caldwell at #3 on this list. Some might argue he's #4.

1. Moss
2. Stallworth
3. Welker; he is obviously better than you think.
4. Gaffney
5. you could put a few here... Brown, Washington, Jackson, eyes wide shut...

Reche Caldwell is the third best WR on this team. I really don't understand the hate.

I'm sure you are joking here.....but......it goes something like this......

Moss
Stallworth
Welker
Gaffney
Washington/Caldwell

1. Moss
2. Stallworth
3. Welker; he is obviously better than you think.
4. Gaffney
5. you could put a few here... Brown, Washington, Jackson, eyes wide shut...

"Eyes wide shut."

You've made my day. Brilliant. I almost want him to not get cut now so I can refer to him as Eyes Wide Shut all season.

My preference is still that we keep 6 WRs, even though I know we'll eventually have to deal with the guys on PUP later.

However as I said long ago I did think that Washington, Caldwell and/or Gaffney would have trade value to a team in need and was pretty much lambasted for even broaching the suggestion.

Of course, there are a lot of guys available right now - rumor has it Reggie Williams of the Jaguars, Michael Clayton of the Bucs, and Chris Chambers of the Dolphins are on the block - that's going to impact what we can get for any of our guys, so I'd prefer to have depth.

There's a few possibilities here including getting Washington to renegotiate his contract with - though it doesn't seem to me he's making so much now its THIS year's cap figure that would be renegotiated, just giving us a more cost effective option for NEXT season when Stallworth and Moss both could be gone.

So my feeling is that they test the waters out there but could well just decide to stand pat with 6 WRs and/or use this rumor as leverage to get Washington to lower his salary for future years, which if I recall, he's cheap this year but not so much next.

Indeed, Miguel's page confirms this - so I don't rule out using this as leverage to make him renegotiate next year's option for the Patriots, especially given the fact that there's other WRs available right now and the fact that he might have a more of a chance to earn incentives next year.

Kelley Washington

Signing bonus: $300,000 in 2007.
Roster bonus: $4.8 million payable in 2008.
Salaries: $600,000 in '07, $900,000 in '08, $1.9 million in '09, $2.4 million in '10 and $2.4 million in '11.
Cap numbers: In succession, beginning this year, $660,000, $5.76 million, $1.96 million, $2.46 million, $2.46 million

I would also like to see us keep six receivers, especially since a few of ours have injury histories.

"Eyes wide shut."

You've made my day. Brilliant. I almost want him to not get cut now so I can refer to him as Eyes Wide Shut all season.

And the petty Reche hate continues.

It's pretty disgraceful for the fans to treat a guy like this who:

- Came in and saved our asses last year, leading the team in receptions
- Took one of the hardest hits I've ever seen in a game last year and got up and came back for more
- Made a number of key plays that kept us in the postseason versus San Diego.

And you treat him like ****. Because he looks funny nd he has a non-football name, Reche, instead of a football name like "Tank" or "Brody." Pathetic.

- Took one of the hardest hits I've ever seen in a game last year and got up and came back for more
- Made a number of key plays that kept us in the postseason versus San Diego.

And you treat him like ****. Because he looks funny nd he has a non-football name, Reche, instead of a football name like "Tank" or "Brody." Pathetic.

I keep forgetting about that hit he took last year. That was right up there on the tough-guy scale with Bruschi's amazing Gumbi imitation and his incredible bending leg. (Thinking about it still gives me the willies)

I think you're right on the disgraceful remark too. I wish more would remember from time to time, that some players and their family do read this board. I hope Caldwell isn't one of them, because sometimes it gets down to playground-level insults. (Yeah, I'm sure I've probably been guilty of it too.)

Hate him, want him gone, whatever... the dude's still a Patriot right now. Just something to remember.

How many times has that point been debunked? Caldwell was thrown into the #1 role because he had lousy competition. He had 61 catches on the season. That's pretty low compared to most #1 WR's around the league.

How many times has that point been debunked? Caldwell was thrown into the #1 role because he had lousy competition. He had 61 catches on the season. That's pretty low compared to most #1 WR's around the league.

The point has never been debunked. The point will never be debunked. The point cannot be debunked. Because, you see, the point is true, and your argument does nothing to change that.

I'm just wondering if you factor in the fact that Caldwell and Watson - as really the ONLY main receiving threats, were almost ALWAYS looking at tight coverage or double teams.

I mean, it didn't take a rocket scientist DC to figure out the ball was going to Watson or Caldwell on just about every play.

I think we should be giving Caldwell a round of applause for catching and holding onto as many balls as he did. I wasn't exactly going easy on Caldwell last year - and in particular I think the play calling was horrible. Caldwell's no #1 WR, that's for sure - but he did a very good job in very tough circumstances last year.

But WRs like Welker are going to have a LOT easier time this season than Caldwell did last season, as Caldwell had no Moss or Stallworth taking defenseive pressure off of him - and I think you've completely ignored that point.

The point has never been debunked. The point will never be debunked. The point cannot be debunked. Because, you see, the point is true, and your argument does nothing to change that.

Nice, constructive argument there. Love all those supportive, pro-Caldwell facts you're giving me. :rolleyes:

The following WR's, TE's, and RB's had more catches than our #1 by default Caldwell. Notice Wes Welker, Miami's inept offense's slot WR, is listed above our so called saviour from last season.

Rank, Player, Team, Position, # of Receptions

1. Andre Johnson HOU WR 103
2. Mike Furrey DET WR 98
3. Marvin Harrison IND WR 95
4. Torry Holt STL WR 93
5. Donald Driver GB WR 92
6. Laveranues Coles NYJ WR 91
7. T.J. Houshmandzadeh CIN WR 90
7. Steven Jackson STL RB 90
9. Kellen Winslow CLE TE 89
10. Reggie Bush NO RB 88
11. Chad Johnson CIN WR 87
12. Reggie Wayne IND WR 86
13. Terrell Owens DAL WR 85
14. Anquan Boldin ARI WR 83
14. Steve Smith CAR WR 83
16. Jerricho Cotchery NYJ WR 82
16. Lee Evans BUF WR 82
16. Roy Williams DET WR 82
19. Brian Westbrook PHI RB 77
20. Isaac Bruce STL WR 74
20. Hines Ward PIT WR 74
22. Tony Gonzalez KC TE 73
22. Todd Heap BAL TE 73
24. Antonio Gates SD TE 71
25. Marques Colston NO WR 70
25. Terry Glenn DAL WR 70
25. Keyshawn Johnson CAR WR 70
28. Larry Fitzgerald ARI WR 69
28. Javon Walker DEN WR 69
30. Derrick Mason BAL WR 68
31. Mark Clayton BAL WR 67
31. Wes Welker MIA WR 67
33. Jeremy Shockey NYG TE 66
34. Jason Witten DAL TE 64
35. Plaxico Burress NYG WR 63
35. Darrell Jackson SEA WR 63
37. Ronald Curry OAK WR 62
37. Joey Galloway TB WR 62
37. Randy McMichael MIA TE 62
40. Reche Caldwell NE WR 61
40. Braylon Edwards CLE WR 61
40. Frank Gore SF RB 61
40. Kevin Jones DET RB 61

Look at that. Baltimore has two WR's ahead of Caldwell. Embarrassing. For some perspective, Branch had 78 catches, while Givens had 59, in 2005.

I'm just wondering if you factor in the fact that Caldwell and Watson - as really the ONLY main receiving threats, were almost ALWAYS looking at tight coverage or double teams.

I mean, it didn't take a rocket scientist DC to figure out the ball was going to Watson or Caldwell on just about every play.

I think we should be giving Caldwell a round of applause for catching and holding onto as many balls as he did. I wasn't exactly going easy on Caldwell last year - and in particular I think the play calling was horrible. Caldwell's no #1 WR, that's for sure - but he did a very good job in very tough circumstances last year.

But WRs like Welker are going to have a LOT easier time this season than Caldwell did last season, as Caldwell had no Moss or Stallworth taking defenseive pressure off of him - and I think you've completely ignored that point.

I agree. People trash Caldwell because he didn't have great #1 WR numbers (granted if you look at his second half of the season totals, they aren't too shabby). People have to remember that the Pats never, ever projected Caldwell to be a #1 WR. People forget that they did make an offer to Peerless Price. They had Chad Jackson. They figured they would have Deion Branch. They even tried to trade for Donte Stallworth according to Jay Glazer. The Pats projected Caldwell to be their #3 WR, maybe #2 WR, but due to circumstances he was thrown into the number one spot.

Some people, instead of praising the guy for stepping up and trying to do his best in an impossible situation, want to trash the guy because he was not a good #1 WR. Some people hate him and don't want him to be even our 4th, 5th, or 6th WR because he "failed" at a role he was never intended to play. They think he is useless because he was not a great primary WR when he was going to be the first guy off the bench if they Pats didn't have some misfortune at that position.

With all that said, Caldwell did have over 500 yards for the last eight games of the season (515 to be exact) and, according to KC Joyner, was second in the league in long-pass yards per attempt (at 30.0). That isn't all that bad.

Caldwell isn't a #1 WR, but I don't get why some people hate him as a back up. I have never seen such hatred of a player who would play only 10-15 plays a game if he is on the roster.

I expect that teams needing a wide receiver are having with discussions with the patriots regarding our wide receivers. Yes, I expect that Washington is being mentioned, as is Caldwell, as is Gaffney. I also think that the patriots are under little pressure to make a deal now. We can certainly wait for a few weeks, right up to the trade deadline if need be. Obviously, we would like to make a trade before having to deal with the PUPpies.

Nice, constructive argument there. Love all those supportive, pro-Caldwell facts you're giving me. :rolleyes:

The following WR's, TE's, and RB's had more catches than our #1 by default Caldwell. Notice Wes Welker, Miami's inept offense's slot WR, is listed above our so called saviour from last season.

Rank, Player, Team, Position, # of Receptions

1. Andre Johnson HOU WR 103
2. Mike Furrey DET WR 98
3. Marvin Harrison IND WR 95
4. Torry Holt STL WR 93
5. Donald Driver GB WR 92
6. Laveranues Coles NYJ WR 91
7. T.J. Houshmandzadeh CIN WR 90
7. Steven Jackson STL RB 90
9. Kellen Winslow CLE TE 89
10. Reggie Bush NO RB 88
11. Chad Johnson CIN WR 87
12. Reggie Wayne IND WR 86
13. Terrell Owens DAL WR 85
14. Anquan Boldin ARI WR 83
14. Steve Smith CAR WR 83
16. Jerricho Cotchery NYJ WR 82
16. Lee Evans BUF WR 82
16. Roy Williams DET WR 82
19. Brian Westbrook PHI RB 77
20. Isaac Bruce STL WR 74
20. Hines Ward PIT WR 74
22. Tony Gonzalez KC TE 73
22. Todd Heap BAL TE 73
24. Antonio Gates SD TE 71
25. Marques Colston NO WR 70
25. Terry Glenn DAL WR 70
25. Keyshawn Johnson CAR WR 70
28. Larry Fitzgerald ARI WR 69
28. Javon Walker DEN WR 69
30. Derrick Mason BAL WR 68
31. Mark Clayton BAL WR 67
31. Wes Welker MIA WR 67
33. Jeremy Shockey NYG TE 66
34. Jason Witten DAL TE 64
35. Plaxico Burress NYG WR 63
35. Darrell Jackson SEA WR 63
37. Ronald Curry OAK WR 62
37. Joey Galloway TB WR 62
37. Randy McMichael MIA TE 62
40. Reche Caldwell NE WR 61
40. Braylon Edwards CLE WR 61
40. Frank Gore SF RB 61
40. Kevin Jones DET RB 61

Look at that. Baltimore has two WR's ahead of Caldwell. Embarrassing. For some perspective, Branch had 78 catches, while Givens had 59, in 2005.

But few people spread the ball around like Brady does.

Branch also showed when Givens went down for a few games, he struggled with the double team. I don't know if he would had 78 catches without a David Givens to help take double teams off of him.

Again, I think it is unfair to trash Caldwell for being a #3 WR thrusted into a primary role with next to no other WRs to support him. I wonder how Andre Davis or Tim Dwight would have done in 2005 if Branch and Givens went down in week #1 and one of them had to be the Pats' primary WR.

Besides, it took Caldwell time to get acclimated to the offense. The second half of the year he had 39 catches. If he had done that type of production all year, he would have had 78 catches. The reason why his catch total is so low is because he had 10 catches in the first five games because he was struggling to pick up the offense.

Who do you think opposing defenses focused on last year when they were playing the Texans? That didn't stop Andre Johnson from catching 103 passes. And David Carr was Andre Johnson's QB. Yes, I know Johnson is ten times more talented than Caldwell and most WR's. Caldwell however, even though our WR corps was weak, had a lot more help around him than Johnson did. Caldwell had the best QB in the league throwing to him. No one was expecting Caldwell to put up mega numbers, after all he was mostly a backup during his tenure with the Chargers, but to say he "saved our season," or, "played very good," is just not reality. He was thrown in to the #1 role because the Branch situation exploded in the FO's faces. Troy Brown is too old, Doug Gabriel and Chad Jackson are both too immature. Caldwell ultimately put up mediocre numbers to put it nicely and was eventually outstaged by a WR who we signed off the street in the middle of the season.

Who do you think opposing defenses focused on last year when they were playing the Texans? That didn't stop Andre Johnson from catching 103 passes. And David Carr was Andre Johnson's QB. Yes, I know Johnson is ten times more talented than Caldwell and most WR's. Caldwell however, even though our WR corps was weak, had a lot more help around him than Johnson did. Caldwell had the best QB in the league throwing to him. No one was expecting Caldwell to put up mega numbers, after all he was mostly a backup during his tenure with the Chargers, but to say he "saved our season," or, "played very good," is just not reality. He was thrown in to the #1 role because the Branch situation exploded in the FO's faces. Troy Brown is too old, Doug Gabriel and Chad Jackson are both too immature. Caldwell ultimately put up mediocre numbers to put it nicely and was eventually outstaged by a WR who we signed off the street in the middle of the season.

But you seem to disregard the fact that Caldwell's numbers are skewed by his first five games where he was struggling with his presnap route adjustments and his routes in general. In his first five games, he had 118 yards or 23.6 YPG. Even his sixth game where he caught five balls, he basically had mastered the short routes.

I didn't need to put up numerical facts to agree with that poster's points, chief. His points were self-evident to anyone with a brain. Or are you now going to claim that Caldwell wasn't the team's #1 receiver last season?

That's what the poster wrote. You have nothing to prove that wrong, because it's not wrong. The rest is you just pissing in the wind.

You even acknowledge this yourself:

He was thrown in to the #1 role because the Branch situation exploded in the FO's faces. Troy Brown is too old, Doug Gabriel and Chad Jackson are both too immature. Caldwell ultimately put up mediocre numbers to put it nicely and was eventually outstaged by a WR who we signed off the street in the middle of the season.

That's what's known as saving someone's ass....

Last edited:

For some perspective, Branch had 78 catches, while Givens had 59, in 2005.

For some MORE perspective, Brady had Dillon/Maroney in 2006, an actual running game, and in 2005 had a hampered, beat up Dillon and Heath Evans and other JUNK. This is a weak argument you're making, Seymour. That's a totally disingenuous thing you've done there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back