PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rotoworld - Pats in discussions with Hank Poteat

Status
Not open for further replies.
But to answer the Gay question ( <---LOL) they didnt really use anyone else at corner. They relied heavily on there safety play with Wilson and Meriweather. Spann and Andrews never had a chance.
I remember in the SB when Gay went out I realized we had no #4 CB and Meriweather would have to play the slot WR if Gay didn't make it back. Although he can do that, I'd prefer a #4 CB (I guess that would have been Chad Scott but he got hurt again and is now a UFA) especially if Meriweather is going to get more time at Safety.

I'm good with Hobbs. I'm good with the Buffalo guy replacing Gay. I'm good with adding Poteat as a #4 guy. That leaves Samuel to be replaced in the draft whether it's at #7, mid first round after a trade down or with a Chevis Jackson type in round 3 to 4.

If a Hank-bona-Poteat discussion get three pages...you know our Defense is going to suck in 2008.

Last edited:
I remember in the SB when Gay went out I realized we had no #4 CB and Meriweather would have to play the slot WR if Gay didn't make it back. Although he can do that, I'd prefer a #4 CB (I guess that would have been Chad Scott but he got hurt again and is now a UFA) especially if Meriweather is going to get more time at Safety.

I'm good with Hobbs. I'm good with the Buffalo guy replacing Gay. I'm good with adding Poteat as a #4 guy. That leaves Samuel to be replaced in the draft whether it's at #7, mid first round after a trade down or with a Chevis Jackson type in round 3 to 4.

Still dont count out Law. He might be another guy they bring in to play part time and maybe help along any rookies we may have.

Wait, this thread has 23 posts, and not one of them mentions the Hank Poteat bongos?

Funny... I was also thinking of O T I S :)

People forget that the Patriots won a Super Bowl with my man Otis as a starter at corner, and another with Tyrone Poole, and another with a undrafted rookie in the form of Randall Gay (to say nothing of Earthwind Moreland). You don't need superstar corners in this system, just guys who can play good zone coverage as well as good safeties.

Last edited:
If a Hank-bona-Poteat discussion get three pages...you know our Defense is going to suck in 2008.

O come on bro. What do you want? We dont have 20+ million to throw at high end players and we are going to need youth and depth from the draft you need low end/low risk guys to A) fill out the roster and B) add quality depth.

Still dont count out Law. He might be another guy they bring in to play part time and maybe help along any rookies we may have.
Forgot about him. If we had Hobbs, Law, new guy from Buffalo and Poteat I'm not sure they'd even draft a CB as 5 is kind of a lot.

My gut feeling, though, is Law is more interested in the Patriots than the other way around. I think Belichick would prefer to bring some young legs in from where we stand right now.

O come on bro. What do you want? We dont have 20+ million to throw at high end players and we are going to need youth and depth from the draft you need low end/low risk guys to A) fill out the roster and B) add quality depth.
Yeah, we've shot our FA wad already for the most part. We're taking a hit at CB from Samuel, that's just how it is. The ace in the hole is still the #7 pick which should bring us a top talent at some position. But re-signing Moss was the key, it means that if the OL doesn't blow chunks and barring major injuries, we'll score 27+ every game.

Yeah, we've shot our FA wad already for the most part. We're taking a hit at CB from Samuel, that's just how it is. The ace in the hole is still the #7 pick which should bring us a top talent at some position. But re-signing Moss was the key, it means that if the OL doesn't blow chunks and barring major injuries, we'll score 27+ every game.

I still expect a rehaul of the right side of our O-Line. I think Neal might be replaced and Kaczur might be looked to be upgraded.

My concern is BB bringing in Poteat in place of Law, I hope that's not what their plan is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
My concern is BB bringing in Poteat in place of Law, I hope that's not what their plan is here.

If that is the case then you really know the Laws legs are cooked. That was the biggest knock on Law. He might be to slow to cover anyone now.

I still expect a rehaul of the right side of our O-Line. I think Neal might be replaced and Kaczur might be looked to be upgraded.
Could well be - Kaczur could also move inside. I still wouldn't be shocked if we draft Clady or Otah to play RT and possibly move to LT in a year or two.

The draft has a lot of good cornerbacks but they are one year away

from starting. For now, ther Patriots are going to have to do with

what is available. If this includes Hank Poteat, so be it. There is

safety in numbers. I don't expect the Pats to make a trade for a

well know veteran because that player is going to demand a

salary in line with Asante Samuel.

Hank Poteat is junk just like Jason "Eric Warfield/Tory James" Webster. Not complaining, BB can throw it all at the wall and see what sticks. But let's not fool ourselves.

Hank Poteat is junk just like Jason "Eric Warfield/Tory James" Webster. Not complaining, BB can throw it all at the wall and see what sticks. But let's not fool ourselves.

Your theory about the wall is exactly what is going on. Asante

Samuel's departure coincides with a very week year for free agent

cornerbacks.

The draft has a lot of good cornerbacks but they are one year away from starting.

How do you know? Hobbs was starting midway through the season as a rookie; if you're arguing that these cornerbacks are better than Hobbs, why shouldn't they be ready to start, at worst, midway through the season?

How do you know? Hobbs was starting midway through the season as a rookie; if you're arguing that these cornerbacks are better than Hobbs, why shouldn't they be ready to start, at worst, midway through the season?

If you're telling me that DRC, McKelvin or Jenkins couldn't step in from day one, I don't know what to tell you. I mean Darelle Revis missed an entire camp and played great the entire season from the opening snap. Revis was graded very similar to DRC and McKelvin and maybe even a tad less than what these guys are grading out as.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poteat....ehh...this might seem contradictory to what I just said in the Seward thread, but in this case, I'd rather earmark a spot for a draft pick to make the team. Camp fodder I spose.

hes a free agent...so im not sure what your draft has to do with this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye