PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happens with Lawrence Guy?

Did you speak with Guy?
Reiss - and I believe Curran as well - each mentioned that the reason he was absent was believed to be contract related. That's a report that neither just throws out there without some knowledge of the situation. Obviously, no specifics have been given, but he's clearly unhappy about something.

Did you speak with Guy?
Belichick also addressed this about a month ago:

“Yeah, whatever the issue is, you can talk to him about that,” said Belichick. “I’m not going to talk about contracts or personal situations, injuries.”

One other bit:
---
Guy is set to make $2 million in 2023 having signed a 4-year extension with the team back in March of 2021 worth a reported $11.5 million.

It’s tough to say what the issue is. Patriots salary cap expert Miguel Benzan reported that the club guaranteed $1 million of his 2022 salary last March, which was the second straight year the veteran had guaranteed money heading into the season.

However, according to OverTheCap.com, unlike the past two seasons, none of his money appears to be guaranteed for 2023.
---

So maybe that second part is the reason? We can speculate about that, but the fact he held out - and the fact both Reiss and Curran reported that it's contract related (and Belichick's comment) - tells us that his deal is the root of his issue.

Last edited:
Reiss - and I believe Curran as well - each mentioned that the reason he was absent was believed to be contract related. That's a report that neither just throws out there without some knowledge of the situation. Obviously, no specifics have been given, but he's clearly unhappy about something.
Guy will cut himself if he does not show up for camp.

Belichick also addressed this about a month ago:

“Yeah, whatever the issue is, you can talk to him about that,” said Belichick. “I’m not going to talk about contracts or personal situations, injuries.”

One other bit:
---
Guy is set to make $2 million in 2023 having signed a 4-year extension with the team back in March of 2021 worth a reported $11.5 million.

It’s tough to say what the issue is. Patriots salary cap expert Miguel Benzan reported that the club guaranteed $1 million of his 2022 salary last March, which was the second straight year the veteran had guaranteed money heading into the season.

However, according to OverTheCap.com, unlike the past two seasons, none of his money appears to be guaranteed for 2023.
---

So maybe that second part is the reason? We can speculate about that, but the fact he held out - and the fact both Reiss and Curran reported that it's contract related (and Belichick's comment) - tells us that his deal is the root of his issue.

This is exactly what I think the absence is about.

It's not about more money. It's about guaranteed money. The Patriots can release Guy anytime they please before final cut, and there is very little risk to them.

Guy doesn't want to be the next Brandon Bolden, Brian Hoyer where they cut him to bring him back. The way his contract is structured, he's the perfect candidate for this treatment. If the young kids look good, that is exactly what will happen.

Guarantee some money and this goes away, without having to offer more money. Incentives will be face saving, if Guy decides to come back without some guarantee.

Guy would have more leverage had Bill not drafted White because of Barmore's injury history.

This will be Guy's last season in NE at best.

Guy would have more leverage had Bill not drafted White because of Barmore's injury history.

I could see BB rewarding Guy with a bump in pay this season assuming his play is strong.

White has nothing to do with Barmore, two different positions. Barmore also tweaked a knee, that's hardly an injury history.

White likely had more to do with Judon's age and years left on his deal, along with Uche's impending free agency. If Uche walks they'll have to replace that pass rush somehow. There was also an element of best player available there, White was too good not to draft that late.

Guy is 33 years old, he is getting paid the going rate for a DT of his caliber and age. If he presses too hard they'll cut bait and find another DT after camp cutdowns. There are always value vet DT's sitting out there after preseason.

"If he’s not around, you suddenly have to play Barmore in more running situations — which is where he struggles"

This ^ is just a terrible take as well, nobody faces more double teams upfront than Barmore. Saying he's poor at the run is silly.

White has nothing to do with Barmore, two different positions. Barmore also tweaked a knee, that's hardly an injury history.

White likely had more to do with Judon's age and years left on his deal, along with Uche's impending free agency. If Uche walks they'll have to replace that pass rush somehow. There was also an element of best player available there, White was too good not to draft that late.

Guy is 33 years old, he is getting paid the going rate for a DT of his caliber and age. If he presses too hard they'll cut bait and find another DT after camp cutdowns. There are always value vet DT's sitting out there after preseason.
White is not OLB. He would be an End on the opposite of Wise. Bill did draft White to be a backup.

You mentioned Uche and Judon. They are unrelated to White.
They're pass rushers and edge players... that's not unrelated.

I also don't dismiss Keion White's ability to play standing up in a two point stance, we haven't seen how they will deploy him.

They're pass rushers and edge players... that's not unrelated.

I also don't dismiss Keion White's ability to play standing up in a two point stance, we haven't seen how they will deploy him.
He's about 290 pounds. He's not standing up.

He's about 290 pounds. He's not standing up.
281 pounds, they had Willie Mac and Chandler Jones stand up in the red zone.

I said they were adding to their pass rush, he’s a DE… it doesn’t matter where pass rush comes from only that it comes.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back