PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happens with Lawrence Guy?

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Good stuff from Chad Graff from The Athletic, who was looking at the roster for this year and brought up the situation with Lawrence Guy, which remains unresolved:

From the article:

"So how will Belichick resolve the issue? In past years, the legendary coach has preferred to relinquish a player a year too early rather than waiting a year too late while the player’s contract becomes an anchor. At this point, the Pats could cut Guy and save more than $3 million against the cap while incurring just $250,000 in dead money. That’s appealing, especially if they need more cap space to attract a prominent free agent like DeAndre Hopkins.

"But Guy is also a locker room leader and one of the most respected players on the team. Plus, he can still play. If this front seven has a weakness, it’s stopping the run. That’s Guy’s strength. If he’s not around, you suddenly have to play Barmore in more running situations — which is where he struggles — or lean on someone less proven like Davis or Ekuale."

I thought Guy was solid inside, especially considering they were dealing with that long stretch midseason where Barmore was out. He finished 12th on the team in tackles, along with 2 sacks and 5 QB hits while missing three games himself (GB, Det, Cleveland) and playing in about half the snaps for most of the season.

Obviously, his situation is one that still needs to be monitored, but until someone else emerges, it would be tough if they parted ways with him.

Good stuff from Chad Graff from The Athletic, who was looking at the roster for this year and brought up the situation with Lawrence Guy, which remains unresolved:

From the article:

"So how will Belichick resolve the issue? In past years, the legendary coach has preferred to relinquish a player a year too early rather than waiting a year too late while the player’s contract becomes an anchor. At this point, the Pats could cut Guy and save more than $3 million against the cap while incurring just $250,000 in dead money. That’s appealing, especially if they need more cap space to attract a prominent free agent like DeAndre Hopkins.

"But Guy is also a locker room leader and one of the most respected players on the team. Plus, he can still play. If this front seven has a weakness, it’s stopping the run. That’s Guy’s strength. If he’s not around, you suddenly have to play Barmore in more running situations — which is where he struggles — or lean on someone less proven like Davis or Ekuale."

I thought Guy was solid inside, especially considering they were dealing with that long stretch midseason where Barmore was out. He finished 12th on the team in tackles, along with 2 sacks and 5 QB hits while missing three games himself (GB, Det, Cleveland) and playing in about half the snaps for most of the season.

Obviously, his situation is one that still needs to be monitored, but until someone else emerges, it would be tough if they parted ways with him.
I’d part with him and target a fatty on someone’s bench.

Good article. IMO Guy has been a step slower each of the past 2 seasons. In 2022 he was “ok”. I think Guy is thinking about retirement but will stay for 1 more season for more $. If Guy steps away…my hope is the others on the DL step up along with Sam Roberts.

Good article. IMO Guy has been a step slower each of the past 2 seasons. In 2022 he was “ok”. I think Guy is thinking about retirement but will stay for 1 more season for more $. If Guy steps away…my hope is the others on the DL step up along with Sam Roberts.
I'm a Roberts fan also. Really hope he steps up in camp and has a solid preseason.

"If this front seven has a weakness, it’s stopping the run. That’s Guy’s strength. If he’s not around, you suddenly have to play Barmore in more running situations — which is where he struggles — or lean on someone less proven like Davis or Ekuale."
Or, you know, lean on the player they're paying 10M to handle those duties

Guy has definitely lost a step.

They're probably hoping enough kids step forward in camp, so the team can save $3 and improve.

Guy making the team this year is probably not the best case, similar to Myles Bryant starting.

The pats had their best run defense since 2016 last year. They shut down nick chubb, jamaal williams, etc. when barmore played. I disagree that the run defense was a weakness & barmore improved significantly in that area IMO.

2022 Interior DL Snaps:

Godchaux 659
Guy 504
Barmore 327 (10 games)
Ekuale 362
Davis 218

Guy at this point in his career is a 40-45% snap early down run stuffer. That role isn't worth a raise especially considering his age.

My guess is a trade to Baltimore for a conditional 5th.

What is there to resolve?

Guy is under contract for 2 more years. He is still effective and versatile.

Anything could happen, but my gut says he's retiring. It just feels like one of those cases where it's already in his head, and he COULD play but maybe wants a little more money to incentive him. Usually (not always) once that worm gets in your brain, you're basically already retired. I think he comes to camp but makes a decision before the first preseason game. All speculation though, I have nothing concrete to base it on. Just a feeling.

What is there to resolve?

Guy is under contract for 2 more years. He is still effective and versatile.
The issue is he wants a raise.

The question is do the NEP satisfy his ask.

If they do, he plays in 2023

If they don't they'll cut him and he can make his money somewhere else.

Guy has definitely lost a step.

They're probably hoping enough kids step forward in camp, so the team can save $3 and improve.

Guy making the team this year is probably not the best case, similar to Myles Bryant starting.
Guy has been a steady force on the D line.. but age, and wanting more money never equates sadly for NFL linemen.

I believe he retires.. we have enough on the front 7 .. all that matters is we can have a nice rotation to keep pressure on QBs..

The pats had their best run defense since 2016 last year. They shut down nick chubb, jamaal williams, etc. when barmore played. I disagree that the run defense was a weakness & barmore improved significantly in that area IMO.

2022 Interior DL Snaps:

Godchaux 659
Guy 504
Barmore 327 (10 games)
Ekuale 362
Davis 218

Guy at this point in his career is a 40-45% snap early down run stuffer. That role isn't worth a raise especially considering his age.
Ekuale isn’t an option inside on regular (nonpassing) downs.
Guy is an important piece of the rotation.

White was drafted with the intention to eventually replace Guy and be Barmore insurance.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back