PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rotoworld - Pats in discussions with Hank Poteat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...Yes they are.

Hank the Man never should have been released during the '06 season. We definitely could have used him in the AFCC that year, and probably also in the SB this year.

I wonder if Lewis Sanders signed a "Take it or Leave it" deal originally offered to Hank? If so, then that might mean that Hank signs elsewhere. Although, as RayClay noted, having a vet with size (Sanders), a vet with quickness (Webster) and a vet with experience in the system (Hank), plus a healthy (we hope) Hobbs, plus at least 2 high-quality draft picks, adds up to a suddenly decent CB group. Mixon, Spann and Richardson now become the TC fodder/in-case-of-injury 7th/8th/9th CBs, which is what their talent says they are.

I like Richardson, but wouldn't like to depend on him. That's also the flexibility these type of signings give. Whoever gains the coaches confidence, any of the others can be cut, pup'd or put on the practice squad.

It's a sound strategy. Other teams go gaga over $$FA's or draft picks, then look for experienced backups when they've been picked over.

The Patriots study these guys, appeal to their egos (we want you, instead of we need scrubs) and get them focused and ready and for cheap dollars.

Other clubs wait and take what's left. that means they pay more because of fewer choices, or they get backups who don't fit their system etc.

Lewis Sanders? Jason Webster? Now Hank Poteat?

You all realize these guys were in the 2000 draft. Maybe that doesn't seem odd the the Pats, now with Capers as the corner's coach, seems to be stumbling upon three guys from the same draft year.

I'm trying to look for a reason, outside of the fact that they are all free agents. It was BB's first year as head coach, but it isn't like these guys haven't been on the market before. So why now? And why again with Poteat? Are the Pats seriously this desperate?

I seem to remember Jon Gruden a few years ago commenting that he cut Poteat, only to have the Pats pick him up and play him in the SB a few weeks later. Not sure, he may have played in two for us.

Bring him in. There won't be room for the entire group of Webster, Poteat and L. Sanders, but let them compete. See who survives. That's the Belichick way.

I seem to remember Jon Gruden a few years ago commenting that he cut Poteat, only to have the Pats pick him up and play him in the SB a few weeks later. Not sure, he may have played in two for us.

Bring him in. There won't be room for the entire group of Webster, Poteat and L. Sanders, but let them compete. See who survives. That's the Belichick way.

The way its looking, they'll all survive ;)

I'm hoping it's a vet min type deal. I wouldn't break the bank on Hank.

Good role players while the rookie cornerback (s) break in.

Couple quick guys, a big guy and a guy very experienced in our system.

This gentlemen, is how you lay the foundation. The big names make the splash, but the ham and eggers is what separates the Pats from the rest.
More like the crumbs left on the plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back