PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Donovan McNabb gets 5 year, $78 million extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you say, the team cannot be perennial cellar dwellers and noncompetitive, else he risks losing lots of money.

A franchise quarterback is important to Snyder and yes, even to Shanny.

The skins were 4-12 last year, seemingly a wakeup call for Snyder. The skins are in a competitive, tough division. Staying competitive in that division is very difficult indeed. Arguably, there are FOUR top nfl franchises in that division. Obviously, they all cannot be playoff teams in any given year. So, Snyder has taken the approach of boom or bust, with some success every few years. That seems enough to keep the fans coming back for more.

"So, Snyder has taken the approach of boom or bust, with some success every few years."

That is a very, very kind spin.

Here are the facts:

Since he bought the team in May 1999, 3 of the 12 seasons (25%) have seen a winning record. They are 2-3 in the playoffs with 2 wildcard wins. Now, take out the very first season (started four months in, so he hadn't a chance to srew everything up yet), and they've had 2 out of 11 winning seasons, a 1-2 playoff record, with one wildcard victory.

I bet 75% of the teams in the NFL can boast better success over that time period.

After all, yesterday you were comparing the consumer value of Snyder's tickets to those of Kraft's.

When you finish with "That seems enough to keep the fans coming back for more", you expose your total lack of any knowledge about the DC/MD/VA fanbase for the Redskins. If Snyder trotted out Bin Laden, Jeffrey Dahmer and Pol Pot and suited them up in Redksins unis, those characters would be wildly cheered and their jerseys sought by kaleidiscope-eyed desperadoes in Bethesda and Alexandria.

He's a flim-flam marketer, not an actual product manufacturer or builder like Kraft. The other difference is in the fanbases. Kraft has to perform and have substance to his product because the market is not as captive. Boston/New England actually has 3 teams in the other major sports who are competitive. DC has one - - the Caps, and that's in the least popular of the major sports.

Basically, Snyder is the slum lord/pusher and the Redskin fanbase is the desperate junkie.

Last edited:
"So, Snyder has taken the approach of boom or bust, with some success every few years."

That is a very, very kind spin.

Here are the facts:

Since he bought the team in May 1999, 3 of the 12 seasons (25%) have seen a winning record. They are 2-3 in the playoffs with 2 wildcard wins. Now, take out the very first season (started four months in, so he hadn't a chance to srew everything up yet), and they've had 2 out of 11 winning seasons, a 1-2 playoff record, with one wildcard victory.

I bet 75% of the teams in the NFL can boast better success over that time period.

After all, yesterday you were comparing the consumer value of Snyder's tickets to those of Kraft's.

When you finish with "That seems enough to keep the fans coming back for more", you expose your total lack of any knowledge about the DC/MD/VA fanbase for the Redskins. If Snyder trotted out Bin Laden, Jeffrey Dahmer and Pol Pot and suited them up in Redksins unis, those characters would be wildly cheered and their jerseys sought by kaleidiscope-eyed desperadoes in Bethesda and Alexandria.

He's a flim-flam marketer, not an actual product manufacturer or builder like Kraft. The other difference is in the fanbases. Kraft has to perform and have substance to his product because the market is not as captive. Boston/New England actually has 3 teams in the other major sports who are competitive. DC has one - - the Caps, and that's in the least popular of the major sports.

Basically, Snyder is the pusher and the DC fanbase is the desperate junkie.

And even then, there is a lot of anger in the fanbase. I would love to tell a Skins fan they have had "boom or bust" with some success every few years. As far as they are concerned, it's been hell since Snyder bought the team. Fedex field has been referred to as a House of Horrors for Skins fans. I simply cannot imagine the same thing ever said about Gillette.

A lot of opposing team fans attend Redskin home games. So a portion of these fans have decided they have had enough, if ExtremeSkins is at all representative.

Last edited:
PFT has a follow up, which is refuting the Smith report, and claiming much lower numbers:

Now, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that McNabb’s deal includes only $3.5 million in guaranteed money...... Beyond that, McNabb has non-guaranteed base salaries of $2.5 million in 2011, $12.75 million in 2012, $13 million in 2013, $13.75 million in 2014, and $13.55 million in 2015. The total base salaries for No. 5 over five years? $55.55 million.

He can also earn roster bonuses of $250,000 in 2010, $750,000 in 2011, $750,000 in 2012, $1.5 million in 2013, $3 million in 2014, and $2.25 million in 2015 if he’s on the active roster for each game in each year. That’s another $8.5 million. To get to that number, however, McNabb has to not miss a single game due to injury. In five years.

Rumor Mill | ProFootballTalk

He basically got $3.5M guaranteed via signing bonus (sort of a peace offering I assume). If they decide to keep him in 2011 he gets a $10M option bonus and $3M+ in salary and roster bonus. Likewise thereafter it's all salary of around $13-14M per only if he's on the roster come opening night... His salaries after 2011 are rolling guaranteed but just for injury, so he can be cut for lack of skill at any time... They could walk away after this season having only given him $3.5M they didn't really have to. Just another phony baloney deal. He's their property now for as long as they choose but they can chose to part with him via trade or cut at any time with little or no dead cap. Snyder must have learned at least a little something after the Haynesworth fiasco...

He basically got $3.5M guaranteed via signing bonus (sort of a peace offering I assume). If they decide to keep him in 2011 he gets a $10M option bonus and $3M+ in salary and roster bonus. Likewise thereafter it's all salary of around $13-14M per only if he's on the roster come opening night... His salaries after 2011 are rolling guaranteed but just for injury, so he can be cut for lack of skill at any time... They could walk away after this season having only given him $3.5M they didn't really have to. Just another phony baloney deal. He's their property now for as long as they choose but they can chose to part with him via trade or cut at any time with little or no dead cap. Snyder must have learned at least a little something after the Haynesworth fiasco...

Yup, they definitely look a little less stupid now than they did last night when this was announced.

Yup, they definitely look a little less stupid now than they did last night when this was announced.

ESPN's the one looking stupid as while we're all used to embellished contract numbers announced by agents, $3.5 million guaranteed is a bit different than $48 million guaranteed.

This is a no brainer contract for the Skins to sign - there's no risk, and all reward if he's worth the annual salary/bonus

If not they cut him or renegotiate

McNabb has a pretty nice incentive to play up to this contract which is what any team would want - and it gives the Skins the luxury of trying to find a younger player they might get into a cheaper long-term contract to win the job away.

It reminds me a bit of the Donte Stallworth deal signed before we had Moss - that was effectively a one year deal unless Donte played lights out for the Pats. Once they got Moss it was a given that at $6 million a season Donte wasn't going to be back. It's not that he was awful - it's just that he wasn't worth $6 million a season when you have Moss.

The difference here is that unless someone else comes out of the woodwork, McNabb has a decent chance to show he's worth keeping on a year to year basis.

ESPN's the one looking stupid as while we're all used to embellished contract numbers announced by agents, $3.5 million guaranteed is a bit different than $48 million guaranteed.

This is a no brainer contract for the Skins to sign - there's no risk, and all reward if he's worth the annual salary/bonus

If not they cut him or renegotiate

McNabb has a pretty nice incentive to play up to this contract which is what any team would want - and it gives the Skins the luxury of trying to find a younger player they might get into a cheaper long-term contract to win the job away.

It reminds me a bit of the Donte Stallworth deal signed before we had Moss - that was effectively a one year deal unless Donte played lights out for the Pats. Once they got Moss it was a given that at $6 million a season Donte wasn't going to be back. It's not that he was awful - it's just that he wasn't worth $6 million a season when you have Moss.

The difference here is that unless someone else comes out of the woodwork, McNabb has a decent chance to show he's worth keeping on a year to year basis.

Amen. $40 million guaranteed for McNabb at this stage would be absolutely wacko.

I guess even Dan Snyder isn't that loco anymore. Interesting how some here were supportive of it, though.

Ok, now that makes sense. Yesterday's version would have been the worst contract in history.

+1. When I saw the original numbers, I figured there was no way whatsoever they could be accurate and sure enough, it turns out to be a load of bullcrap.

It is a very sad statement on the media. ESPN was so desperate to break the report that they decided not to let silly things like gross inaccuracies get in the way. I even remember Mike Tirico making a comment last night where you could pretty much hear him puffing out his chest, making sure we knew the news was broken on ESPN.

IMHO, this is ultimately going to be a 2 year deal and heck I wouldn't even be surprised if it ended up being only a 1 year deal. I would be amazed if it played out for any length longer than 2 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST