PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quarterback situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady is 30. He only has a couple more years of play on the same level.

How soon do the pats need to start looking to draft his eventual replacement?

I don't know if i wanna address 'replacement', how about substitution...although I kinda agree with your concern for two reasons.

1) we need a capable backup all the time, not just when Brady moves on, but in case he gets hurt, the man is only human (damn I hate saying that).

2) learning a system takes time and smarts, the likes of which I feel we have not found in a backup to date.

Now would be a good time to look young and mould for the next couple of years. I think Brady would love the competition (which hopefully there will be).

So to answer your question, the sooner the better....no chicken little the sky is not falling, but it helps to be a bit forward looking. ;)

Last edited:
I'm basically the best madden player in franchise mode in the US

I'm pretty sure I know how to build a successful franchise

This may be the most classic quote of all-time regarding a poster's line of reasoning on any sports message board.

I don't know if i wanna address 'replacement', how about substitution...although I kinda agree with your concern for two reasons.

1) we need a capable backup all the time, not just when Brady moves on, but in case he gets hurt, the man is only human (damn I hate saying that).

2) learning a system takes time and smarts, the likes of which I feel we have not found in a backup to date.

Now would be a good time to look young and mould for the next couple of years. I think Brady would love the competition (which hopefully there will be).

So to answer your question, the sooner the better....no chicken little the sky is not falling, but it helps to be a bit forward looking. ;)

Thank you, one decent post.

Although occasionally you get lucky with freaks like Brady or Roethlisberger, it usually takes a rookie 2-3 years to be ready to run a team.

Brady is 31 right now, and is showing signs of losing interest due to his personal life.

They need to start thinking now about a backup who can take over the reins in a few years. Cassell has no chance. O'Connell, who knows.

People thinking this is ludicrous know nothing about building a lasting dynasty.

Maybe they'll draft Tim Tebow next year. Would that make you happy?

Brady is 31 right now, and is showing signs of losing interest due to his personal life.
People thinking this is ludicrous know nothing about building a lasting dynasty.

this just gets better by the hour
:blahblah::blahblah::violent:

look, I'll tell you what I do in Madden

when my key players turn 30, I try to draft a stud

then I give him a little while to build up his awareness and improve, let him play against the bad teams

by the time they're fully ready to go, the starter they're replacing is 32-33 and their skills have eroded

Thank you, one decent post.

Although occasionally you get lucky with freaks like Brady or Roethlisberger, it usually takes a rookie 2-3 years to be ready to run a team.

They need to start thinking now about a backup who can take over the reins in a few years. Cassell has no chance. O'Connell, who knows.

Seriously? Have you lost your mind?

Why don't you give it a go and try and explain your comment.

I'm sure Tom would love to apologize to you for "his personal life" getting in the way of his business life.

Brady is 30. He only has a couple more years of play on the same level.

How soon do the pats need to start looking to draft his eventual replacement?

I think as most people here have expressed, your post is shortsighted to the extreme. Great quarterbacks play well into their 30's barring injury. Will Brady experience some drop off over that time? Maybe a little, but for a quarterback who relies on smarts, knowledge of the game and recognition of the opposing defense, as well accuracy, I do not think Brady's effectiveness will diminish because he can't run quite as fast. Continued health and keeping him off the turf will be the key to longevity and as long as that is the case, and Brady has the desire to compete, I believe he will be behind center for quite a few more years. The question should be how will the Patriots continue to find quality backups in the years to come, not replacements.

I think Tom will take himself out the game before age or injury does. He just strikes me as that type to know when it's time to go out. If he did want to carry on playing, obviously baring any injuries I think he could easily go on till late 30's, another 8 years atleast.

The only QB situation we have now is who's your man behind Brady.

I'm basically the best madden player in franchise mode in the US

I'm pretty sure I know how to build a successful franchise

:D Your tongue will go through that cheek in a bit.

then I give him a little while to build up his awareness and improve, let him play against the bad teams

by the time they're fully ready to go, the starter they're replacing is 32-33 and their skills have eroded

Look, I play way too much Madden myself. I understand your Madden philosophy, but that's not how it works in the REAL nfl. Now please, go study for a test, or something. :D

I bet he has the salary cap switched off...

The flaw in your logic is that you are working under the assumption that what happens in a video game (player's age when his skills erode) absolutely mirrors what happens to living breathing people, professional football players in the NFL.

From what I have witnessed over the years, an elite NFL quarterback can expect to play on a high level to his mid thirties, if not later. Show me some valid statistical analysis - not just cherry picking one or two players - that I am wrong and I will take your theory seriously. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the idea that being a very successful video game player is on par with being the GM of an NFL franchise.

yeah, Brady is not mobile and that sucks, see previous SB, but then again the O-Line weren't playing to the level that they could/should have.

Seriously though you do have a point. Brady will hopefully remain healthy. I don't know if I agree with the point that he is losing interest. I think you are confusing that with the grind that is the NFL, esp around week 15-16-17 and going into the playoffs. That tired look may be perceived as him being disinterested....but I think that is just the grind of the NFL.

Tom is everybit as interested as he always was. I like the fact that he rested this year in the pre-season (where there is nothing to see here....), should pay dividends on the other end.

Again, I do agree with you though, and I am sure this is on the organization's radar. But again, like I said the sky is no where close to falling.

And comparing real life to a video game? I dunno, seems very unrealistic to me....

Last edited:
Every year but this one Brady was an offseason program award winner.

Why did he not win this year? Where was he in the offseason while his teammates were working hard?
Well maybe you saw in the tabloids pictures of he and Gisele on frequent extended vacations, or endless modeling shots of him in magazines

Those are the things he's interested in now
He's a celebrity, he's not a football player anymore

An aging player needs to work twice as hard (see: Rodney Harrison) to stay on top of their game, and Brady's doing the opposite

With the desire going away, the skills quickly will too

Look, I play way too much Madden myself. I understand your Madden philosophy, but that's not how it works in the REAL nfl. Now please, go study for a test, or something. :D

Here's another suggestion for Belichick and Pioli:

In week 5, before the trading deadline hits, the patriots should try to get all the #1 draft picks of the worst teams

For some reason, these teams rate these picks low and will give them up for cheap

If they can get like 5 or 6 #1 picks for next year's draft, they'll definitely be in good shape

Those are the things he's interested in now
He's a celebrity, he's not a football player anymore

With the desire going away, the skills quickly will too

To that, I say:
Mr. Gicksauce, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

LOL - Billy Madison FTW!

the guy with a bizarre love for gostkowski insulted me

the guy with a bizarre love for gostkowski insulted me

My bizarre love for Gostkowski, to use your words, is still more logical than your most recent post.

My bizarre love for Gostkowski, to use your words, is still more logical than your most recent post.

do you get really excited when he nails a 35 yarder when they're already up by 40 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes