PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ProFW Whispers: Pats will let Graham become FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be one thing if Fauria was one of the 4 as opposed to 2 rookies. No way he's traded this season. Tag and trade if not signed though is a definite possibility if not probability for 2007. They won't let him just walk unless his injuries get the better of him this season and totally diminish his value. And I think his future here hinges as much on Watson's development as his own performance.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Never happen. Why trade a proven vet under contract for a rook, no matter how well they look in camp. Belichick is the 1st to say that pre-season is NOT playing in a regular season NFL game.

Graham will not be traded in camp, or before the trading deadline in regualr season either.

Depends on what you can get for him.

Trades DO happen on occasion and if the Patriots are going to trade someone, a player who they don't have any intention of re-signing and who is in the final year of his contract is probably a pretty good candidate. Beyond that we all recognize Graham's value as a blocker - though he does occasionally catch passes we've seen him drop his fair share too... that's just not his strong suit and may be a reason he's not going to be re-signed.

Can a rookie not block? Can a Vrabel or Klecko not come in at TE to block in a blocking situation? Is Graham that crucial as a blocker that we just couldn't fathom trading him? If that's the case why do we not think the team will re-sign him?

Whether they trade him for a draft pick, an LB or WR there are plenty of areas where we could use our potential depth at TE to reinforce another area.

If BB has NEVER traded a player in training camp and has a policy against that I'll stand corrected but I'm unaware of such a policy or history.

Last edited:
It's way too early to worry about Graham.

Drafting Mills has no bearing whatsoever on Graham's status here or TE's in general.

Whoever said Graham isn't very good seems to be on leave from recess - please, for the love of God, TE play is not solely defined by how many fantasy points he gets you with catches and TD's. Daniel Graham is a devastatingly crushing blocker, the best in the NFL at his position.

Miguel said:
It is not just a question of whether or not the Patriots want to keep Graham. It is also a question of whether or not Graham wants to remain a Patriot. There are several teams (some of them - playoff contenders) that could use Graham as a #1 tight end. Does Graham want to be closer to home?? Does Graham want to be the featured tight end?? Does Graham want the big bucks???

Hey Miguel, you're scaring me --- this has Denver written all over it!!!

shakadave said:
Hey Miguel, you're scaring me --- this has Denver written all over it!!!
Perhaps he could be involved in a trade there - that's one thing that still irks me about Givens, that we didn't trade him. Sure we'll get a #4 comp pick, most likely, but I would have liked to be more proactive and get more.

Last edited by a moderator:
BelichickFan said:
Perhaps he could be involved in a trade there - that's one thing that still irks me about Givens, that we didn't trade him. Sure we'll get a #4 comp pick, most likely, but I would have liked to be more proactive and get more.

WHEN would you have traded him? He wasn't ours this year to trade. So, you would have traded Givens away before last season in order to move from a #4 to MAYBE a #2? NFW

PatsWickedPissah said:
WHEN would you have traded him? He wasn't ours this year to trade. So, you would have traded Givens away before last season in order to move from a #4 to MAYBE a #2? NFW
Well, as I said before FA started, we could have franchised him and traded him - I believe for more than the comp pick.

But, yes, to fully utilize a player's worth, 12 months before they become a UFA I would try to extend or trade players.

Last edited by a moderator:
patsox23 said:
It's way too early to worry about Graham.

Drafting Mills has no bearing whatsoever on Graham's status here or TE's in general.

Whoever said Graham isn't very good seems to be on leave from recess - please, for the love of God, TE play is not solely defined by how many fantasy points he gets you with catches and TD's. Daniel Graham is a devastatingly crushing blocker, the best in the NFL at his position.
And if he wasn't constantly helping out the OL his numbers would be alot better. Graham is the kind of player championship teams are built around has never complained about getting enough touches just goes out and does his job. In response to his drops I don't think he has had many in the last few years. Graham has been banged up because he is constantly taking on players who weigh 50 to 70 pounds more than him and if the Pats don't think this guy is a player worth resigning I would be terribly disappointed. When their 15 mil under the cap and the estimated cap next year will jump another 7 mil just what players are they going to sign?

Miguel said:
It is not just a question of whether or not the Patriots want to keep Graham. It is also a question of whether or not Graham wants to remain a Patriot. There are several teams (some of them - playoff contenders) that could use Graham as a #1 tight end. Does Graham want to be closer to home?? Does Graham want to be the featured tight end?? Does Graham want the big bucks???

It could be that Graham has already provided the Pats with some of the answers and that the Pats have reacted appropriately.

Are you suggesting that he goes to the brokebacks????

I certainly hope not!!!!

His father played for Denver, didn't he? There could definitely be some interest on Graham's part.

JoeSixPat said:
No surprise to most on the board... frankly if some of the rookies look good I wouldn't rule out them trading him during camp

JSP -
Trading Graham during camp? That is the equivalent of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Even when the Pats drafted Graham, they still had 2 other TEs on the team. Mills is NOT a TE. He's more of an H-back like Keith Byars was and is more likely to replace Patrick Pass than Graham. Belichick has said on more than a few occasions that TEs take 3 years to develop. Trading Graham this year and going with an inexperienced TE opposite Watson in the Pats 2-TE sets is a recipe for disaster unless Thomas flat outplays everyone including Watson. Which I don't see happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft