PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ProFW Whispers: Pats will let Graham become FA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2006/whispers2104.htm

Updated June 5, 2006

With TE Daniel Graham entering the final year of his contract, and the Patriots having drafted TEs David Thomas and Garrett Mills, word is the team has positioned itself to let Graham become a free agent following this season. We also hear Graham, considered by many in the league to be the best blocker at his position, would likely command a higher price in free agency than the Patriots are willing to pay.

But let's also look at the whisper right below it...

Word from New England is that WR Bethel Johnson is in an uphill fight to keep his roster spot for 2006.

And then there's also:

We hear that the Patriots are so high on QB Matt Cassel that they didn’t even think about sending him to NFL Europe, preferring instead to keep him in New England to continue learning the Pats’ offense.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. This isn't whispering. It's conjecture.

Since A = Patriots have drafted two tight ends to go with two on the roster.
And B = Graham is in the last year of his contract.
And C = Most teams only carry three TEs

Therefore Graham will be allowed to go to free agency. You could write a similar "rumor" about any player in the last year of his contract, given the Patriots history under Belichick.

Lazy reporting.

Yes, if Graham hits FA, someone will sign him to a bigger contract than the Pats. However, seeing how we wouldn't have had nearly the success we've had in the past two years without his blocking, I doubt he gets to FA.

I would be pretty pissed if we just let him walk. I still believe if he wasn't asked to constantly block that he would be one of the better TEs in the league. With the cap room that we have right now, I would think we would try getting him extended now instead of letting it get to that point.

graham

I'm sorry, but it is not often that you can find a tight end that can just maul opposing defensive players. Look back at many of the pats games and watch graham blocking. He is a beast. In the pats o-scheme they rely on a blocking TE and I can't see anyone on the squad that can fill that role and be as effective. I say, belly up to the table and give him a decent proposal. If not Franchise tag him next yr.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not just a question of whether or not the Patriots want to keep Graham. It is also a question of whether or not Graham wants to remain a Patriot. There are several teams (some of them - playoff contenders) that could use Graham as a #1 tight end. Does Graham want to be closer to home?? Does Graham want to be the featured tight end?? Does Graham want the big bucks???

It could be that Graham has already provided the Pats with some of the answers and that the Pats have reacted appropriately.

These were the Franchise/Transition numbers for TE this year from AdamJT13, through Miguel :

Tight end
Franchise $3,327,000
Transition $2,718,000

They may go up a bit but TE is one of the affordable positions to franchise.

Miguel said:
It is not just a question of whether or not the Patriots want to keep Graham. It is also a question of whether or not Graham wants to remain a Patriot. There are several teams (some of them - playoff contenders) that could use Graham as a #1 tight end. Does Graham want to be closer to home?? Does Graham want to be the featured tight end?? Does Graham want the big bucks???

It could be that Graham has already provided the Pats with some of the answers and that the Pats have reacted appropriately.

Sure. That could definitely be the case. But since Belichick (I believe) wants to use a 2 TE offense as his base, I expect that every effort will be made to re-sign him. Athletic TEs that are willing and effective blockers are, quarterback aside, the centerpieces of the offense BB wants to run.

Miguel said:
It is not just a question of whether or not the Patriots want to keep Graham. It is also a question of whether or not Graham wants to remain a Patriot.
Bingo.

But even if Graham wants to leave and doesn't negotiate with the Pats, the talking heads at ESPN will of course ask why BB "let him go."

I think Graham could be huge if he were used strictly as a receiving TE. Doesn't make the team he plays for better (sometimes blocking will make the team win more games), but he could have tremendous stats. And stats drive the money wagon.

I don't see how we can conclude anything about Graham by the drafting of Thomas and Mills. Both are smallish TE's whose blocking is not their strong point. It would be one thing if we drafted a smilar type TE as Graham, but they have very different skill sets. It's kinda like saying we are going to have Ellis Hobbs replace Rodney Harrison.

I would prefer to play the 2006 season, go through the playoffs, and win another SB, before I even start being concerned about who will be around in 2007.

But, that's me.

I don't think Graham is that solid. I mean he is solid as a blocker, but he has too many occassions of alligator arms. He has had difficulties holding on to the ball. Here's hoping that O'Callaghan wins the starting job at RT and we can use our TE more effectively rather than stay and block

KY Pats Fan said:
I'm sorry, but it is not often that you can find a tight end that can just maul opposing defensive players. Look back at many of the pats games and watch graham blocking. He is a beast. In the pats o-scheme they rely on a blocking TE and I can't see anyone on the squad that can fill that role and be as effective. I say, belly up to the table and give him a decent proposal. If not Franchise tag him next yr.
If the Pats let him go, it won't be because he was not effective. There is more than effectiveness in the equation. No one thinks that Givens was not effective for us, and yet he is gone. And as you said about Graham, anyone could have said the same thing about Givens last March: I can't see anyone on the squad that can fill that role and be as effective

Roles change from year to year. We don't always have the same roles. Brady could not fill Bledsoe's huge arm-long pass role in 2001. But he wasn't asked to. He had his own strengths, and BB/Weis devised schemes to take advantage of Brady's strengths.

I think it is a mistake to think that the Pats need to fill Graham's role, and Given's role, and WMG's role, etc etc. The Pats will get the best players they can, and devise roles to fit the players they have, not force the players they have into the roles that departed players filled.

So he has one year left on his deal, so does Branch. Could be they are waiting to get that deal done first, they waited to do Branch's deal until after Seymour was signed. So wait until they know Brnah's hit beofre negotiating with Graham. No need to get paniky yet.

I vaguely recall some rumblings dating back to when he was drafted. He signed a 5 year deal and not the customary 6 year deal we were extracting from most of our first rounders. His Dad is a former NFL player and again I vaguely recall there may have been some posturing even back then from the Graham camp regarding his projected value. Then of course he struggled early catching the ball and for a time it was debateable he'd live up to his first round billing.

We do know because it has been mentioned by several sources of late that they at least up to the draft that had not had any contact with him about his contract status. I think BB would really like to back away from the level of expectation that redoing Seymour's deal last summer may be generating.

There have been no signs from Graham that he plans to take issue with playing out his rookie contract, although if Branch is extended that could change. Particularly if he is extended after any kind of holdout. Branch os already quietly playing the conspicuous in his absence card in the voluntary segment of the off season program, and it would be a real shame to see that become a regular tactic used by players here.

But as Miguel hints Graham's demands themselves may be ones the team is already familiar with and not inclined to address unless they moderate substantially, much like the Givens situation. Daniel does sound almost resigned to his situation as if he senses just that. You only talk if you believe you have something to talk about. As with WR I don't see BB paying top dollar for say a 1A and 1B at the position, and if Watson finally shows he's putting it all together consistently he would likely command the #1 TE slot and deal here going forward.

That report was reckless conjecture. David Thomas was drafted to fill Fauria's role( similar skill set) for this year. Mills was drafted as an Hback/FB that provides depth at TE, allowing Watson to take the hand-down spot if Graham gets hurt, or fill in for Watson if he gets hurt. It seems that the Pats have wanted to run 2TE sets for the past few years, but keeping Graham and Watson both healthy at the same time has been a challenge. Drafting Thomas and Mills gives them more depth, so they can commit to 2TE sets without having to scrap it every time someone gets dinged.

graham IS the best blocking TE in football

Mike the Brit said:
Ouch! Ouch!
no question about that. even the big so-called TEs don't push people around like graham.
that has great value, so if graham decides to go FA he'll get good money. graham's dad is a NFL alumnus. IMO he'll tell his son to go FA if he wants to get serious money, don't even bother with waiting on a string for BB/SP to do something.

No surprise to most on the board... frankly if some of the rookies look good I wouldn't rule out them trading him during camp

Miguel said:

That point is usually missed...what doed DG (or whatever the player) want?? (Point was totally missed with AV...) And you are right, the Pats might already know this..know he wishes to be elsewhere...

JoeSixPat said:
No surprise to most on the board... frankly if some of the rookies look good I wouldn't rule out them trading him during camp

Never happen. Why trade a proven vet under contract for a rook, no matter how well they look in camp. Belichick is the 1st to say that pre-season is NOT playing in a regular season NFL game.

Graham will not be traded in camp, or before the trading deadline in regualr season either.

Attachments

• image002.gif
    image002.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case