PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per 98.5: Pats won't renew Brandon Lloyd's deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you are jumping the gun right now. Lloyd, at this time, is still on the team. If the speculation turns out to be true, the Pats are going to have to replace a 900+ yard receiver on top of their already existant needs at the position. With that in mind, I would expect them to make a move through FA as well as draft as high as round 2 for the position, all on top of signing Welker.

This is supposed to be a deep draft @ DL and DB.

I could see the Pats taking those 2 positions first and WR in the 3rd.

But as a possession receiver he still has the size mismatch on CB's, and as far as speed goes I don't think there's much difference than a Lloyd or Boldin in that department. I would rather see him stay at TE but wonder where all the reps are going to come from for Ballard if he is going to play. In the end I think that Hernadez will be used much as he has been in a variety of roles and outside as WR will be one of those uses. It has been in the past and if they end up with a hole there, which i doubt they will, then he will see more use there than if they fill it adequately.

I like Hernandez in his miss-match role. I have not seen him demonstrate great hands or take away balls from players covering him, both attributes needed by a possession receiver covered by smaller quick CBs.

Lloyd was a valuable role player. But role players shouldn't be overpaid like he is. It's not about whether he was good or bad. He was not bad. He simply costs too much for what we get out of him. It's pretty horrible value. You cut him and fill him with a guy who can do comparable things for a fraction of the cost.

Then you use the rest of the money on defense.

What's Reche Caldwell up to?:bolt:

they got closer to the SB in 06 than they did this year......

In both '06 and this year they (excruciatingly) lost the AFCCG to the eventual SB champion.

Lloyd was a valuable role player. But role players shouldn't be overpaid like he is. It's not about whether he was good or bad. He was not bad. He simply costs too much for what we get out of him. It's pretty horrible value. You cut him and fill him with a guy who can do comparable things for a fraction of the cost.

Where do you get the idea Lloyd was horrible value. He came to the
Patriots 3 years for 12 mil. (4.0 mil avg). Pierre Garcon got 5 years
for 42.5 mil. (8.5 mil. avg). Lloyd was a bargain.

What are you talking about? He was far from overpaid. There where a few really overpaid receivers last year, Lloyd was not one of them. a 3 year 12$m contract is not bad for 900 yards.

First off, lets see if the Dolphins cave into Hartlines wishes.

He is rumored to be asking for 6 Mil per which is just ridiculous in this market. Hes worth half that per season.

So, basically it's wishful thinking on your part.

David Nelson. Don't think you are going to get the production you want from him this season. Torn ACL and new system.

Nelson is 6 months into his rehab and it will be 12 months since the injury at the end of August. Nelson came from U of F and played for Urban Meyer.

Hartline is going to cost more money than Lloyd. He is going to get a 3 to 5 year deal worth about 6 a year.

Hartline is good, but not that good.

So, basically it's wishful thinking on your part.

Shocking new for you, but just because a player asks for outrageous money that doesn't mean that he will get it.

Where are your salaries coming from? Deon Branch got 5 mil. per year back in 2006. The top WRs get 14-18 mil. per year. Second tier (Pierre Garcon) got 8.5 mil. per year last year. I'm sure this is why
Welker is unhappy.

Shocking new for you, but just because a player asks for outrageous money that doesn't mean that he will get it.

It's kinda funny...now that you're dug in you're wedded to this position.

I'd put the odds of Hartline signing a contract that pays him 3MM per at about, oh, .01 percent.

It's worth reminding people that we thought we had a huge bargain when we got Lloyd last year. We're to quick to forget the crazy $$ being thrown around at WRs. Lloyd's deal was paltry by comparison.

The odds of cost-efficiently replacing Lloyd's production through FA is slim. It's time to draft a WR and get a good one.

It's kinda funny...now that you're dug in you're wedded to this position.

I'd put the odds of Hartline signing a contract that pays him 3MM per at about, oh, .01 percent.

Enlighten yourself. Why Brian Hartline is Worth 3.5million per year! | FinNation.com

There is no chance in Haiti that Hartline will see anything close to 6 mil per given your track record. You and Hartline should get together and smoke a rock of crack since you both believe 6 Mil per is a realistic number.

How about signing 2 players at 5 year $50 million contracts with seventeen million guaranteed, with $33M in the salaries for the last 3 years? Of course, Welker would not see his 3rd year salary.

The money is there. The cap hits for the first two years are fine, certainly doable.

First off, lets see if the Dolphins cave into Hartlines wishes.

He is rumored to be asking for 6 Mil per which is just ridiculous in this market. Hes worth half that per season.

I don't think $6 million a year for a young, starting quality receiver is ridiculous at all. Last year, Pierre Garcon got 5 years, $42.5 million ($8.5 million average), Robert Meachem got 4 years, $25.9 million ($6.48 million average), Marques Colston got 5 years, $40 million ($8 million a year), and Antonio Brown got 5 years, $42.5 million ($8.5 million and he only had one year where he got over 800 yards in his career). Based on those contracts, $6 million a year may be a bargain for Hartline.

Enlighten yourself. Why Brian Hartline is Worth 3.5million per year! | FinNation.com

There is no chance in Haiti that Hartline will see anything close to 6 mil per given your track record. You and Hartline should get together and smoke a rock of crack since you both believe 6 Mil per is a realistic number.

That is one site's opinion. Based on the WR market last year, $6 million a year is the going rate for a good, but not great starting WR. Hartline is a good, not great starting WR. I will argue he is better than Robert Meachem and the Chargers gave Meachem over $6 million a year last year.

Your Sammy Davis, Jr. routine is nothing if not entertaining.

That is a very compelling opinion piece. Granted, I was never arguing that Hartline is worth 6MM per, only that it would hardly shock me if some team decided to pay him that amount.

Further, none of this really serves to support your claim that Hartline could be signed for a fraction of what they're paying Lloyd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call