PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per 98.5: Pats won't renew Brandon Lloyd's deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandon Lloyd already counts against the cap and the Pats are $30 million under the cap. Depending on how Welker's contract would be structured, he might take $6 million or even less against the cap.

If they resign Vollmer at the $7 million a year that he is reportedly looking and/or the Pats' limit (he is supposedly looking for $7-8 million a year, but the Pats are reported to not be willing to go over $7 million a year). His cap hit this year could be about $5 million.

So say the Pats take a $11 million cap hit for both Welker and Vollmer this year, the Pats will still have about $15 million or so of cap space for the defense after you pay the rookies. That is still a lot of money to spend on defense.

The Patriots are not $30 million under the cap. It's more like $24 million

The Patriots are not $30 million under the cap. It's more like $24 million

You are right it is $25 million. Even so, the bulk of the money can be spent on defense especially if they end up not resigning Vollmer.

For all the angst about how much Brandon Lloyd is being paid, I found it interesting that he is only the 36th highest paid WR in the NFL, based on average pay per year.

» Over the Cap- Top NFL Contracts: Wide Receiver

The funny thing is Eddie Royal is getting paid more for 23 catches, 234 yards, and 1 TD last year. Josh Morgan is getting paid more for 48 yards, 510 yards, and 2 TDs last year). Laurent Robinson got more in guaranteed money alone than Lloyd got for his entire contract for 24 yards, 252 yards, and 0 TDs last year.

Just be glad the Pats didn't pay for Robert Meachem. Four years, $26M, $14M guaranteed, for 14 catches and 207 yards.

i

Just be glad the Pats didn't pay for Robert Meachem. Four years, $26M, $14M guaranteed, for 14 catches and 207 yards.

Yeah, but that is 14.8 yards per catch. Much rather have him because on the rare occasion he caught the ball, he struck fear in DBs hearts. :rolleyes:

The true question is: how many WRs not on rookie deals earned less and out produced him. If Lloyd is cut it's unlikely, outside of hitting a homerun in the draft, that his replacement will provide better value. This is even more true if you factor in the dead money.

How great do Gronk and AH contracts look when you look at these numbers...

If that Pats were to try to trade Lloyd(assuming this hadn't leaked), what do you think they could get? I feel like he'd have some value as a cheap receiver with some good production.

If that Pats were to try to trade Lloyd(assuming this hadn't leaked), what do you think they could get? I feel like he'd have some value as a cheap receiver with some good production.
The reason he was so cheap for the Pats is because nobody else wanted him. That hasn't changed. He has no trade value.

The reason he was so cheap for the Pats is because nobody else wanted him. That hasn't changed. He has no trade value.

I just find it hard to believe that a guy with such success would have no value. I thought he came so cheaply because he wanted to play for McDaniels.

I just find it hard to believe that a guy with such success would have no value. I thought he came so cheaply because he wanted to play for McDaniels.
Well, I think it's a combination of Lloyd wanting to play with McDaniels and other teams knowing that the only way to get their money's worth out of Lloyd would be to have McDaniels, which no team did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back