PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Malik Cunningham

I think they chose to regard him a basically a developmental wide receiver who in the end did not sufficiently develop adequately over the time he had in that particular role.

I would much have preferred they release or otherwise ditch JJSS and Parker.
Agree. Maybe it’s interesting (or not) that Cunningham was practice player of the week a week or 2 ago. Maybe that’s the kiss of death.

Just another piece of evidence that Belichick has lost it. He's literally winging it at this point.
I know no one seems to think about a backup QB unless your starter sucks or gets hurt but it is still a pretty important position on any team and the way that position has been treated this year is wild. Cutting both backup QBs heading into the season was a relatively risky move and now the revolving door of guys like Corral, Book, Grier, then the carousel of Cunningham and Zappe. It is clear that Bill doesn't think much of any of them but I don't know why that wouldn't have been addressed and fixed over the summer.

If I were Cunningham I would want no part of being back here even if I went unclaimed. He has become the new JJ Taylor on the practice squad with all the call-ups and releases. He has been asked to play backup QB while not getting a ton of reps all summer while they had him moonlighting as a gunner and receiver then he gets his chance a couple weeks ago and they had him in a few plays where he didn't do much and for some odd reason had him warm up in the locker room instead of on the field. I'm sorry but that is just a hilariously ridiculous level of secrecy for a guy who everyone knows has played quarterback.

Hope if he gets back they groom him Exclusively at WR.

Agree. Maybe it’s interesting (or not) that Cunningham was practice player of the week a week or 2 ago. Maybe that’s the kiss of death.

I don't read too much in the Practice player of the week crap remember Bam Childress.

That was the plan I think. But he's showed no signs in camp and preseason that he has any NFL potential as a WR.

I don't think I agree with that it was almost impossible to access the Offense in Preseason based on our OL play.

If they waived him, isn't the contract voided, other than any guarantees that were in it?
I believe that if he is claimed off waivers the claiming team assumes the contract as it stands.

One thing I’m not sure about is whether the claiming team has to keep him on their roster for some specified period. I suspect quite possibly they do. Perhaps someone else will know for sure.

I’m really splitting hairs here, but the only possible difference I can think of between a team claiming Cunningham now versus signing him from the practice squad earlier in the season (or hypothetically if the Pats had never signed him to the roster) is that a player signed from another team’s PS is guaranteed three weeks of active roster pay. Now, a team can claim Cunningham and cut him anytime prior to next Tuesday at 4:00 and only owe him one week of pay. But we’re talking about $80k here. There’s basically no difference.

Why would any team claim a member of the worse QB room in the NFL? He'll go unclaimed and back here where he belongs.

I guess it could mean that he obviously worked hard in practice - earning the award - to show what he could do. Then, having gotten a sound take on his abilities, they said "No thanks." It really is a hard-hearted business. I can't imagine working in a business where as soon as they find somebody better than you, you're gone. AND they work their asses off continually to find somebody better than you. Eesh.

Al Davis was considered a genius...........right up until he wasn't. Then he became a parody of his former self. The reality is he lost it long before the shine wore off and people realized he had gone off the deep end. Things like drafting Heyward Bey 8th overall because of his 40 time ect.

Signing Cunningham to a contract extension and then releasing him is just the latest for Bill. From the draft, free agent signings, not having an answer for the OL issues from last year, letting Jacobi go and then signing Juju for the same money, extending Parker...........everyone has misses but Bill's batting average is through the floor. He's becoming a parody of himself. Is he still a great coach? Based upon all the mental errors almost every week even that is in question but I'd say he's still a great game planner. The GM portion he's not very good right now and probably overrated historically.

Al Davis was considered a genius...........right up until he wasn't. Then he became a parody of his former self. The reality is he lost it long before the shine wore off and people realized he had gone off the deep end. Things like drafting Heyward Bey 8th overall because of his 40 time ect.

Signing Cunningham to a contract extension and then releasing him is just the latest for Bill.
Again, they did the exact same thing for Cunningham as they did for Zappe a few weeks ago: restore the remainder of his original contract. It did not contain any new guarantees, obligations, or promises. [It was more a convenience thing, saving them the necessity of having to give him an ERFA tender next offseason if they decided to keep him on the 53 all season.]

Signing Cunningham to a contract extension and then releasing him is just the latest for Bill. From the draft, free agent signings, not having an answer for the OL issues from last year, letting Jacobi go and then signing Juju for the same money, extending Parker...........everyone has misses but Bill's batting average is through the floor. He's becoming a parody of himself. Is he still a great coach? Based upon all the mental errors almost every week even that is in question but I'd say he's still a great game planner. The GM portion he's not very good right now and probably overrated historically.

Except they didn't. The contracts are very different.

He's back per weei. I'm glad. It'll be interesting to see how he develops and finds a role, if he does.

@rochrist good to see you again. Don't choke on all those Ughs you're giving me bro. Lol

If they waived him, isn't the contract voided, other than any guarantees that were in it?

Unless he's claimed I'm ass-uming...

EDIT: n6249c beat me to basically the same answer.

Last edited:
I believe that if he is claimed off waivers the claiming team assumes the contract as it stands.

I believe so too.

One thing I’m not sure about is whether the claiming team has to keep him on their roster for some specified period. I suspect quite possibly they do. Perhaps someone else will know for sure.

Not positive about that one... I actually would side with No they don't; but if somebody is signed from another team's PS then that 3-week rule applies...

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back