PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Malik Cunningham

Chances are pretty good he's back but it only takes 1 team to want him.. And there are a few QB injuries out there.

Proves it was all about Kraft pushing for popular opinion. It made NO sense that Malik came up as QB2 off PS, when they could have used a standard elevation. Not to mention the way overpaying him. Either it was a desparation move forced by Kraft, or it was the final Parcellian motivation tactic to push Mac. Now that Mac "passed" the test, they need the roster space and Grier is clearly more ready.
But, the one caveat in my take is - why not just dump Zappe? You could keep Malik as Emergency 3rd. A bit odd. But, it'd be a shocker if someone steals Malik tomorrow.

With a 3 year contract, the team that claims him off waivers commits to the 3 year contract. That's all that this is. People are reading into it like some organizational philosophy has changed.

Your prediction that Zappe will take over the starter role for good by week 5 is looking good. Must be that 2-0 record last year and that one time he threw a pass at the combine…
Now you can visit your aspiring QB at the Footlocker inside the mall.

HooooHaaaa.

With a 3 year contract, the team that claims him off waivers commits to the 3 year contract. That's all that this is. People are reading into it like some organizational philosophy has changed.
Wow...does that mean they cannot cut him again if he is signed to active squad without some guaranteed payout ?

They couldn't elevate him for the Saints game as they had two other elevations that game. So they had to sign someone to the 53, and maybe they did that knowing they would cut him later as he'd pass through waivers whereas the other might not.

They also likely need a spot for Reagor - he's had the maximum number of elevations. So basically this likely ends up a swap of Reagor for Cunningham.

Hey he probably sucks too, but right now I'd rather have Reagor than Cunnyham... Anything to keep Sidney Wicks & Curtis Rowe off the field.

commits what? there are no guarantees

What’s the different perspective? I’m also not entirely buying the protecting him take. Why would they elevate him to protect him just to risk having the other team have a chance to get him anyways? Is there something I’m not aware of here?

*Misread second part of the tweet.

The way I read Mike's tweet is that Cunningham was/is a developmental player and not a player who was ever a threat to Mac or Bailey. All it took was moderate roster complications to make him the guy you risk getting claimed on waivers. This is also why he became available to us. People seem to lose sight of that.

Belichick using game theory? :evil:

But his contract is set if you want to keep him. If you don't want to keep him, why even bother picking him up?

There might not be any guaranteed monies, but if any team claims him I still ass-ume that they have to honor the terms of that 3-year contract...

But...but...I thought he was better than Mac?

There might not be any guaranteed monies, but if any team claims him I still ass-ume that they have to honor the terms of that 3-year contract...
If they waived him, isn't the contract voided, other than any guarantees that were in it?

I think they chose to regard him a basically a developmental wide receiver who in the end did not sufficiently develop adequately over the time he had in that particular role. They think, not without reason, that they have better developmental WR options on the roster and PS than Malik. I can't really argue with that, though I wish it were not so. I like the guy.

I would much have preferred they release or otherwise ditch JJSS and Parker. I said in the preseason that neither of them would contribute a damned thing this season: every so often I am right. At this point, both are a toxic waste of space. Parker in particular is the sort of person you want absolutely nothing to do with in a collective enterprise of any kind. We have all worked with such people. The sooner they are gone, the better. I see no case to be made that either is of more value or potential than Malik. You'll have to ask the GM about his inexplicable mancrush on these two losers.

How this decision squares with Malik's having been a turned ankle away from playing virtually an entire very important, game, I have no idea. The whole qb thing has been a world-class **** show. But then when you have a. team which lacks a competent GM, that sort of thing is gonna happen.

It's too bad, I think, but mainly from an entertainment/fanboy perspective. It was a nice distraction in what had been a dismal season to speculate on what Malik might become. Maybe he'll pass waivers and the fun can resume. I hope so.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back