PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Chargers FA safety Steve Gregory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gregory is a free safety. There aren't many available.

Our current safeties are: Chung and Barrett.

We also have STer Sergio Brown.

I think that we will still look for more safeties, including Landry this weekend.

Laron Landry > Brandon Merriweather ??????? LOL. Attempting to sign Landry is pure sign of desperation. Talk about undisciplined Safety who cant cover for lick, and an injury bomb ready to go off with his ACL.

Special teamer and dime/7th DB.

Pats pay well for middle/bottom of the roster types.

I don't know. Based on the write up, he might excel in a read and react defense like the Patriots. The Chargers have more of an attack style defense. He might do better than people think. Then again, he might not.

Mark Barron from Saban's Alabama title team, if taken with either of our first rounders, would turn the safety position into a strength alongside Chung.

I don't know. Based on the write up, he might excel in a read and react defense like the Patriots. The Chargers have more of an attack style defense. He might do better than people think. Then again, he might not.

I'm not trying to knock him. I just think that the role in the dime/7th DB is appropriate. Heck he might even start if they can't pick up another player.

I look at it this way.

DMc
Arrington
Chung
Ras-I
Sterling Moore
Gregory
JAG cover guy.

My only angst is that the Pats need more man-to-man cover guys.

The Patriots certainly have a track record for picking guys who might've been OK in one system and who can contribute much greater in their own.

By all accounts, I think this signing fits that bill. He will go into camp competing for a job as a starting FS and/or nickel DB. Either way, we needed it. Badly.

They like him on the Chargers forums and alot are disappointed that he got away. Still it doesn't sound like he's anything more than a solid backup and ST-er, don't we already have that with Ihedibo, 2-3M per is aot.

Willing to bet we overpaid for him.

Sounds like a nice rotational backup, hopefully we can draft Barron.

He's an upgrade over people like Jones and Molden and can play corner and safety if called upon. Don't mind the move. Doesn't solve the need at safety of course but that doesn't matter just yet as it's not like he;s our only move coming during the off season.

Chargers fans aren't too happy with their loss........so I guess we should be very pleased.......after all he was their best safety for quiet some time

Eric Weddle?

He played SS for the Chargers, but don't be fooled. He was only doing that because Eric Weddle may have been the best FS in the NFL last year (when he wasn't trying to cover Gronkowski). I like this. He'll be one of the team's top 3 safeties along with Chung.

Eric Weddle?

Speaking of Weddle; my mates a Chargers fan and I know he said last season that they were playing Gregory out of position. Weddle is the free safety on the team and because of injuries, Gregory was forced to play strong...a position he isn't every familiar with.

Via Twitter:
Ian R. Rapoport ‏ @RapSheet A ballpark figure on the numbers for Patriots S Steve Gregory: I hear $2-3M average per year over three years.

8.5m over 3 years, 3.5 guaranteed. Not backup money.

That's a lot of money to pay a backup safety

Last edited:
Interesting. They must really like this guy.

wow....very underwhelming. Guess he is going to be a ST guy. For the price it sounds like they are paying him would rather just keep Edelman in there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back