PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Chargers FA safety Steve Gregory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they're still in on Landry.

I certainly hope that they don't think Gregory's solved their safety woes.

Good signing, he can compete for the starting FS job, was played out of position in SD. Because of ST ability it could be good bye S Brown, Ihedibo can be a backup SS rather than playing FS where he was out of place. We need to find another FS in the draft now.

2.8 milion for a #3 safety or potential starting safety isn't bad.

James Sanders got that as the #3 for a couple years, whatever keeps Ihedigbo off the field in SB47.

Not comparing the two, but when Goldson was in last offseason and pats didn't sign him no one thought that a pro bowl S just left patriot place.

James Sanders got that as the #3 for a couple years, whatever keeps Ihedigbo off the field in SB47.

He and Weddle kinda look alike. That's good enough for me!

I realize that the Pats are less of a SS/FS defense than most teams and expect both safeties to be able to produce against the run or the pass, but coverage from the safety position was below average last year; Gregory should at minimum be an upgrade over the current alternatives on the roster. Reggie Nelson was another name being thrown around out there but from what I have read his coverage skills were poor last year.

Here are a few links for comments on the signing.

Patriots sign S/CB Gregory, other notes - Extra Points - Boston.com

Gregory received a three-year contract with a max value of $8.8 million ($3.35 million guaranteed). That's close to starter money, but it likely won't preclude them from signing Redskins safety LaRon Landry, who the Patriots will host on a visit on Friday.

Gregory (5-11, 195 pounds) has played 85 games -- all with the Chargers -- since entering the league in 2006 as an undrafted free agent out of Syracuse.

He can play a variety of roles in the secondary, and should provide much-needed quality depth at several positions and contribute on special teams. Gregory, 29, has probably played best at free safety, where the Patriots had their struggles last season.

Gregory was suspended for four games in 2010 for violating the league's police on performance-enchancing substances after first testing positive in May of that year.​

Steve Gregory Signs With Patriots, Will Compete for Starting Safety Position Alongside Patrick Chung - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Gregory is a free safety by trade, but he's also got experience on the strong side and in the slot. Gregory has a strong special teams reputation, too. A source indicated at least four other teams were interested in Gregory -- San Diego, Houston, Denver and Carolina -- but he agreed to terms with New England less than 24 hours after arriving in Foxboro.

Gregory will compete to start alongside safety Patrick Chung, though the Patriots could still add pieces to the safety position. They'll also host LaRon Landry for a visit, according to the Boston Herald.

Gregory, 29, went undrafted out of Syracuse in 2006 and had spent all six of his NFL seasons with the Chargers. He wanted to seek an opportunity outside of San Diego, which already had Pro Bowl free safety Eric Weddle.​

It Is What It Is » Five thoughts on Day 3 of NFL free agency and how it has impacted the Patriots

Steve Gregory, an intriguing prospect who has some positional versatility. We’re finding out more and more about him — he was a corner and a wide receiver at Syracuse, and caught 38 balls for 420 yards as a junior (included in those numbers is a three-catch, 53-yard contest against Boston College). It doesn’t mean that he will be asked to flip to the offensive side of the ball if he signs with the Patriots, but that’s the sort of positional versatility they like in Foxboro. In addition, as Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston has already noted, he was part of a Syracuse team that also had Matt Patricia as an offensive grad assistant — the same Matt Patricia who is now the Patriots’ de facto defensive coordinator.​

NFL Free Agents Grades and Free Agency Rumors - National Football League - ESPN

Gregory is a slightly undersized safety with average speed and adequate quickness, agility and athleticism. He has a great feel for the game. He often starts the season as a backup but ends up starting his share of games. He shows great route recognition and a good ability to read the quarterback's eyes from off coverage and will show decent range over the top. He is not timid about inserting himself on run defense and is a sure tackler but is not big or powerful enough to be a physical force near the line. He brings a big motor and a lot of enthusiasm.​

Chargers safety to sign with New England | UTSanDiego.com

Steve Gregory waited and waited for a starting job.

He finally found it — in New England.

The Chargers' reserve strong safety of six seasons reached a three-year deal Thursday with the Patriots. He is expected to start at free safety, a league source said.

San Diego hoped to return the veteran to his usual role — backup safety and special teamer — but after biding his time with 31 starts the past four seasons, Gregory wanted more.

The departure compounds a need at the position.

Already, the Chargers were looking to add a starting strong safety, most likely through the draft. Now they could be shopping for his backup, too.

Gregory started a career-high 13 games last year in place of Bob Sanders, who was lost to a season-ending knee injury in Week 2.​

Last edited:
After reading all the posts, At worst we are slightly over paying an upgrade to the safety position. And any upgrade to the safety position is a very good thing. At best he can be contributor in sub coverage. He sounds like he might even be a guy who can get to the sideline and provide our CBs with actual help over the top. Something that was totally lacking last season.

Bottom line - While signing seems early in the FA game for this kind of player, and the price seems slightly high, the Pats have clearly upgraded the bottom third of their roster....and this is the kind of guy who can surprise us on the upside. The Sergio Brown era looks to be FINALLY, over.

I'd really prefer ReggieNelson, as he is better in pass coverage, which Patriots were killed on.

Landry is not very good at pass coverage and gets beat. Plus he is major injury prone.

I dont know why Patriots just ask Reggie for a visit. Doesnt hurt...

Back in 2003, I got home from the lake and saw the Patriots had signed Chargers safety Rodney Harrison. Today, I got home from the lake and saw the Patriots had signed Chargers safety Steve Gregory.

Hopefully this works out as well as it did the first time. ;)

I wonder if they sign Fanane, Gregory, Landry, Lloyd, and then loaded up on defense in the draft...

...that'd be pretty sweet.

Good signing, he can compete for the starting FS job, was played out of position in SD. Because of ST ability it could be good bye S Brown, Ihedibo can be a backup SS rather than playing FS where he was out of place. We need to find another FS in the draft now.

Breer tweeted

@AlbertBreer Steve Gregory got just over $8.5M over three years from New England, with $3.5M guaranteed. That's starter money.

After reading all the posts, At worst we are slightly over paying an upgrade to the safety position. And any upgrade to the safety position is a very good thing. At best he can be contributor in sub coverage. He sounds like he might even be a guy who can get to the sideline and provide our CBs with actual help over the top. Something that was totally lacking last season.

Bottom line - While signing seems early in the FA game for this kind of player, and the price seems slightly high, the Pats have clearly upgraded the bottom third of their roster....and this is the kind of guy who can surprise us on the upside. The Sergio Brown era looks to be FINALLY, over.

One positive I gleaned over on some Chargers boards is that he's heady and has good instincts. This team was in dire need of the latter last season, I think we can all agree.

Yeah I don't mind the signing. Considering the some of the stiffs they were rolling out there in the SB the Pats needed to get at least 3 quality DBs. At least 1 CB and at least 2 S. When I rewatched the SB, Molden and Ihedigbo were just embarrassing to watch out there.

I wonder if they sign Fanane, Gregory, Landry, Lloyd, and then loaded up on defense in the draft...

Agreed! The Pats safeties would go from an abomination to Chung, Landry, Gregory, pretty soild.

As long as they use a high pick for a rookie WR as well, I'd be fine with that, although I'm not at all thrilled with this Gregory signing.

Last edited:
I like this signing. He now gets to play under BB rather than Mazursky. Think he'll play better? Uh, yeah.

Last edited:
In other words, the kind of guy the Bills, Bucs and other offseason winners never have when the need arises.

For all our talk we lacked a bit of secondary depth last year after years of depth being a key to our success.

In saying that... that's what happens when you let go your starting and reserve FS in training camp then have their replacement go to IR a couple of weeks later.

Special teamer and dime/7th DB.

Pats pay well for middle/bottom of the roster types.
Gregory, 29, has played in 85 games during his career, initially emerging as a speedy special-teams presence before working his way into the starting lineup (31 career starts). He started a career-high 13 games last season, but one line of thinking is that he was playing out of position alongside free safety Eric Weddle.

Some believe Gregory is better suited for more of a free safety type of role, which is one of the Patriots' offseason priorities to pair with Patrick Chung. The Patriots had a revolving door at safety last season.

Gregory's ability to play in the slot in sub packages, as well as his special teams background, should fit in well with the Patriots.

New England Patriots agree with Steve Gregory; re-sign Matthew Slater, Marcus Harrison - ESPN Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back