PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Giants to be simulcast on CBS and NBC [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats/Giants to be simulcast on CBS and NBC [merged]

The NFL was trying to squeeze the cable networks in an attempt to increase revenues by sticking every subscriber on the systems with the bill. The networks like to keep the number of 'basic' tier programs to a minimum and charge additional fees for other stations in various premium packages, so they refused to bow to the NFL's demands. The networks didn't blink. The NFL did. It's really that simple when you break it down.

The question now is whether the NFL will keep trying to strong-arm the Cable companies in the offseaon, or whether they'll bow to the current reality the way NBATV did.

Remember, in the post you quoted I'm saying John Kerry's in with the cable companies, so I don't think you'll be seeing him in the NFL's side on this one any time soon.

I understand the point you're trying to make (I think your stance is mostly incorrect by the way), but that doesn't really have anything to do with the post you actually quoted.

Re: the Records Bowl

Nor should you expect to see ESPN puff it much.
The Records Bowl ... on 3 nationwide networks ...goes up against their Alamo Bowl.

During commercials switch to
Penn State vs Texas A&M.
Are you kidding? Every time I've switched to ESPN today it's been something about the Patriots.

Re: NFL Network will simulcast Pats Giants game on CBS & NBC

No, it will still be Gumbel. It's just a simulcast.

I think this will give people more reason to not want to get NFL Network. He's awful as everyone knows

The NFL wants the fans to pay extra for their product?

Recent statements from the NFL do not really fallow that logic:

It's been said by the NFL and the CEO of the NFL Network that they'd like to see the NFL available within your base cable package (as it is through Dish Net and Directv), but some cable companies have refused to meet the NFL's fee demands. Those cable companies have claimed they don't have enough interest (complete bull) in the NFL Network to justify making the NFL Network a base channel, and paying the fees associated. Some Cable companies have used that supposed lack of interest as an excuse to make us fans pay extra fees for the NFL network, as well.

So now the network whose programming isn't interesting enough to warrant broader distribution will have three and a half hours to toot it's programming horn via commentary, half time show and lead ins from break to a nearly captive national audience - and cable giants will get nada financially from the evenings events. I like it.

Best part is the guys Goodell docked three quarers of a million and a first round draft pick's team is gonna make the powers that be in football broadcasting a nice little bonus piece of change and cause a lot of disengnuous politicians to be patting themselves on the back. That's called creating goodwill capital you can spend later.

Re: Pats/Giants on CBS, NBC and NFLN

Hahahahahahahahaha Al Gore invented the internet, but John Kerry allowed us all to witness history. I love it. For the record, I already had NFLN, but this way at last Mr. Morris will get to watch the game from whatever crack house he happens to be in when the game happens.

YES, u can tell how much power the patriots have rit there, and support as well

So now the network whose programming isn't interesting enough to warrant broader distribution will have three and a half hours to toot it's programming horn via commentary, half time show and lead ins from break to a nearly captive national audience - and cable giants will get nada financially from the evenings events. I like it.

Best part is the guys Goodell docked three quarers of a million and a first round draft pick's team is gonna make the powers that be in football broadcasting a nice little bonus piece of change and cause a lot of disengnuous politicians to be patting themselves on the back. That's called creating goodwill capital you can spend later.

did NBC and CBS have to pay for this? if not, who gets the advertising money(which will go up)?

the way I see it.... the networks are getting a free product and will be making money off it in terms of advertising, plus they get to save the shows which would be normally shown for later dates.

Re: According to ESPN News CBS/NBA to air Pats/Giants

Does this mean that I'll be able to watch it on the local NBC or CBS affiliate in Philly? If so, then I'm very happy. I was resigned to missing this game.

Channels 3 (CBS) and 10 (NBC) in Philly. Channel has the tougher anchors as one of the female anchors got arrested for punching out and cursing an NYPD female police officer.

For the record, this simulcast just keeps Congress out of the NFL's way while they negotiate with the cable companies.......

Last edited:

Have you seen the ratings that Patriots games are getting ? They will make humongous amounts of money on this 3 hours.

No doubt (although the ratings for any one network will be watered down by showing it on 3 stations on Saturday).

Of course I always assumed that the NFL Network was also in business to make money - MORE money than by showing games on the Networks.

In the long run if there were more money to be made by showing games only on the networks there wouldn't be an NFL Network carrying games in the first place.

So they've passed up an opportunity to showcase at least a day or weekend outside of the New England area. Hey - their call - I won't lose any sleep over it!

Remember, in the post you quoted I'm saying John Kerry's in with the cable companies, so I don't think you'll be seeing him in the NFL's side on this one any time soon.

I understand the point you're trying to make (I think your stance is mostly incorrect by the way), but that doesn't really have anything to do with the post you actually quoted.

Kraft should tell Baddell "we want our money and our draft pick back before we play"..that would fix the smarmy bastard. The upside? WOW exposure beyond belief!!! Every other teams fans will be frothing at the mouth!! Loving it!!

The downside? The Giants can't rest their regulars and concede the game. They will be compelled to play balls out football...not so good.

YES, u can tell how much power the patriots have rit there, and support as well

.......just don't tell Shaughnessy, Ryan or MacMullan (the Red Sox shareholders).

Amazing how the NFL and NFLNetwork changed their tune when a couple of Senators where talking about deciding whether to start investigating the appropriateness of the Anti-Trust exemption for the NFL if they blocked the game from the majority of the fans who don't have NFLNetwork. :D

This is monumental-- can you imagine? I mean, our little team has caused such a stir they're getting tv time like the President!! We're bigger than the Beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t

I have written before about being 8 years old in 1973 and not even being able to get those little helmets at the IHOP to have a Pats logo on them - - when all the other teams were so damn popular......and this was at the IHOP in Needham fer crying out loud (and at that age, I did!).

Each time I look back and become more awed by what has transpired, it keeps getting topped.

I can't stop smiling and shaking my head.

I have written before about being 8 years old in 1973 and not even being able to get those little helmets at the IHOP to have a Pats logo on them - - when all the other teams were so damn popular......and this was at the IHOP in Needham fer crying out loud (and at that age, I did!).

Each time I look back and become more awed by what has transpired, it keeps getting topped.

I can't stop smiling and shaking my head.

It is amazing.

I really do wonder how much of the country is rooting for us and who is rooting against us. I really do believe that we are not hated as much as we are led to believe.

I think this will give people more reason to not want to get NFL Network. He's awful as everyone knows

Six Hours Straight of Live Pregame Show From Giants Stadium. (at least that part hopefully with no Bryant in sight)

'Nuf ced.

If he pulls that off he might one day be electable... :rocker:

Hey, I'm excited for John Kerry. After all his years in politics, he's finally accomplished something!

Amazing how the NFL and NFLNetwork changed their tune when a couple of Senators where talking about deciding whether to start investigating the appropriateness of the Anti-Trust exemption for the NFL if they blocked the game from the majority of the fans who don't have NFLNetwork. :D

It's a smart move to not make enemies in Washington if you can avoid it. It made sense for the NFL to hold out to the end just prior to the Giants game in order to gain more subscribers, but common sense told you weeks ago that this game was going to have another network outlet besides the NFLN.

Best damn news i've heard all nite.

I just saved about $100. Put me in a bar for 4 hours (gotta get there early for a seat) and I can do a lot of damage. You feel obliged to drink more since you are watching their TV.

Not me. I drink the same. But I will usually buy dinner there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3