PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

‼ Peacock / NBC to stream an Exclusive Wild Card Game ⁉

"Free" TV is over the air channels paid for by advertising. I suspect the content will continue to be reduced. It will be harder and harder to get advertisers to pay.
=================
The competition is among those who provide content for a price.

And yes, there are those channels who chose to "advertise" by giving deals to those who buy other products, like phone or internet service.

And, then there are those companies who bundle channels into packages. Cable companies do that, as do the satellite companies. In addition, there are internet bundlers.
===============
Consumers choose among all the competition. Some refuse to pay and watch only free TV. Some steal content by various means and methods to get around charges. Some folks here watch only sports channels. Indeed that is their choice.

For me and my family, we watch much more. We do indeed watch many of the streaming channels, including a couple that feature British shows. We watch game shows. We certainly watch a lot of movies and drama series. But then, we are in our 70's, and that is our choice.

EDIT
1) FINALLY, I would note that there are lots of features in addition to which channels and content is included.
2) RELIABILITY is important. How often are you interrupted by storms or buffering?
3) PICTURE QUALITY is a huge one for me. Is the streaming in 4K, 4K+ or better? My TV upgrades to 4K or better, but the original signal is important.
4) Number of services supported and where is important for many. Can 3 or 4 TV's and phones receive at the same time. Is there the ability to receive when traveling?
5) Ease of use and access to content is important.
6) On demand library of movies and other content matters.
7) DVR limits matter,
8) There are also other features. Can you start a show in one room and continue in another. Does each individual have his or her saved shows and channel lists and access. Does each individual get suggestions? Can saved items be continued and fast forwarded.
9) Are there commercials? How are they skipped? Is the amount of commercial less than on broadcast TV?
10) What is the mechanism for receiving over the air channels?

FINALLY
Given the freebees and bundling, I suspect that it is best to total the costs of internet and phones in addition to the streaming or TV costs.

Last edited:
yup. refuse to watch free TV

Not following you. My point was avoiding subscribing to a streaming service to see one playoff game.

"Free" TV is over the air channels paid for by advertising. I suspect the content will continue to be reduced. It will be harder and harder to get advertisers to pay.
=================
The competition is among those who provide content for a price.

And yes, there are those channels who chose to "advertise" by giving deals to those who buy other products, like phone or internet service.

And, then there are those companies who bundle channels into packages. Cable companies do that, as do the satellite companies. In addition, there are internet bundlers.
===============
Consumers choose among all the competition. Some refuse to pay and watch only free TV. Some steal content by various means and methods to get around charges. Some folks here watch only sports channels. Indeed that is their choice.

For me and my family, we watch much more. We do indeed watch many of the streaming channels, including a couple that feature British shows. We watch game shows. We certainly watch a lot of movies and drama series. But then, we are in our 70's, and that is our choice.

FINALLY, I woiuld note that there are lots of fea
cable companies, broadcasters & streaming services are about as inbred as this youngster

Banjo Deliverance GIF

They are just trying to find ways to charge you twice for the same product... One way or another, you are paying... Maybe cord cutting was efficient when people first started doing it, but not so much anymore...

I will sign up for a free trial for a week and then cancel it, I do that for March Madness every year.

another greedy move move by some of the wealthiest people in the country

The streaming services are biting at each other. Some are starting to hemorrhage money. Disney+ is now the latest to be cutting back on budgets and mothballing lots of shows. The model is terrible for everyone involved below the top-level execs and shareholders. COVID pushed along the inevitable. The crash is going to be a big one.

Some services have been quietly discontinuing old shows in such a manner (permanent) that no one can ever show them again even in re-runs. The studios get great tax write-offs - the writers/actors/etc. can never earn residuals on these old shows again.

It's not a coincidence that the WGA strike is happening now. For years, the corps in TV/movies/publishers have been meeting their margins on the backs of the creatives and workers doing the dirty work. One of the biggest fights in the WGA strike is over AI (Chatgpt). To further cut labor costs, we are expecting that services will begin using Chatgpt to greatly cut writing staffs.

This strike is expected to last a long, long time. That will only sting the streaming services even more, obviously, as shows go out of production.

My guess is that TV 10 years from now won't look anything like it does now. The internet profoundly changed us in ways unanticipated. AI will be an even more dramatic change than the internet.

I forget which comedian I heard this joke from first but I stole it and have been using it since.
Cable requires cable wires and requires contracts to pay for the equipment.

Streaming requires an internet connection and has no contracts.

Over the air requires advertisers to pay the bills.

Satellite requires equipment and contracts to pay for the equipment.
================
The future is content sent over the internet. And sure, there will be lots of competition. Some companies will win; some will lose; all will change.
Many, many companies will be trying to sell content.
================
Of interest to me are the bundlers. Who will put together the winning packages? Youtube TV seems like a winner now. However, there are lots of competitors and there will be many more. Also, many of the bundlers also sell premium channels at a discount from what you would pay if you bought the channels from the content producer.

Cable requires cable wires and requires contracts to pay for the equipment.

Streaming requires an internet connection and has no contracts.
g.
Over the air requires advertisers to pay the bills.

Satellite requires equipment and contracts to pay for the equipment.
================
The future is content sent over the internet. And sure, there will be lots of competition. Some companies will win; some will lose; all will change.
Many, many companies will be trying to sell content.
================
Of interest to me are the bundlers. Who will put together the winning packages? Youtube TV seems like a winner now. However, there are lots of competitors and there will be many more. Also, many of the bundlers also sell premium channels at a discount from what you would pay if you bought the channels from the content producer.

What is overlooked is how all streaming models invariably have to up both costs and ad presence over their life due to the infrastructure needed to maintain their growing subscription base. You can't even watch Youtube without an insane amount of ads without paying. Competitors will be flashes in the pan due to the falling rate of profit left and right. They'll get eaten up quickly. Big names will become more aggressive in stomping out the competition if it threatens profits.

I don't like the future of media right now...

This is actually a good idea.

Should probably work blockchain into the company to really capitalize.

Something like: Uses blockchain technology to aggregate diverse stream services to create consumer value

What is overlooked is how all streaming models invariably have to up both costs and ad presence over their life due to the infrastructure needed to maintain their growing subscription base. You can't even watch Youtube without an insane amount of ads without paying. Competitors will be flashes in the pan due to the falling rate of profit left and right. They'll get eaten up quickly. Big names will become more aggressive in stomping out the competition if it threatens profits.

OK, you seem to want free content, and are not willing to watch commercials.
==========
I have a different view. Someone must pay for content. I almost always choose content without commercials, and pay the additional fees.
Not following you. My point was avoiding subscribing to a streaming service to see one playoff game.
OK, I misunderstood.

Obviously, you can sign up for a week and then cancel (or a month if a week isn't allowed.

The model of giving quality content for free won't last long now that we have many ways to avoid commercials. Streaming companies may be able to have commercials, if they don't allow you to fast forward over them.
================
For me, I am willing to pay to eliminate commercials. I actually prefer watching say FBI on Paramount+ with no commercials for 42 minutes, and watch 2 o3 at a time without having to do anything special. Personally, I see no advantage in watching TV shows on the day that they are aired. I certainly can wait a day or two (or a week or two).

There will be lots of competition. And yes, the very few large companies are likely to win the battles. HOWEVER, there is little reason to believe that prices will be higher in say 5 years for the same content. I believe that in 5 years, there will be many options and several companies with several tiers of programs. And yes, they all will market additional premium channels.

Entertainment is NOT free, and will not be free. I suggest adding together the cost of TV channels, internet and phones, and check out whether the cost is more for the same content each year.
========================
SPORTS PROGRAMMING
As Mark Cuban said, I think the future will include very little free live sports programming. Government can intervene and require channels to air free NFL games in order to get a license. But somehow, the cost would need to be paid. In this case, the government would probably end up with the contract with the NFL and provide the content to the networks.

The government COULD make laws requiring the NFL to provide games over the networks for free.

The model of giving quality content for free won't last long now that we have many ways to avoid commercials. Streaming companies may be able to have commercials, if they don't allow you to fast forward over them.
================
For me, I am willing to pay to eliminate commercials. I actually prefer watching say FBI on Paramount+ with no commercials for 42 minutes, and watch 2 o3 at a time without having to do anything special. Personally, I see no advantage in watching TV shows on the day that they are aired. I certainly can wait a day or two (or a week or two).

There will be lots of competition. And yes, the very few large companies are likely to win the battles. HOWEVER, there is little reason to believe that prices will be higher in say 5 years for the same content. I believe that in 5 years, there will be many options and several companies with several tiers of programs. And yes, they all will market additional premium channels.

Entertainment is NOT free, and will not be free. I suggest adding together the cost of TV channels, internet and phones, and check out whether the cost is more for the same content each year.
========================
SPORTS PROGRAMMING
As Mark Cuban said, I think the future will include very little free live sports programming. Government can intervene and require channels to air free NFL games in order to get a license. But somehow, the cost would need to be paid. In this case, the government would probably end up with the contract with the NFL and provide the content to the networks.

The government COULD make laws requiring the NFL to provide games over the networks for free.
get a firebroken Amazon stick or pay the 50 bucks or so for a tech nerd to program it.

Something like: Uses blockchain technology to aggregate diverse stream services to create consumer value

I don't get it. None of these services competes with cable. All these services are available to you, with cable or without.
====================================
The open question is how to get the tier of channels and networks that most get through cable or by antenna. There are many competing internet bundlers like Youtube TV, DirectTV streaming, HULU plus TV and lots of others. Some include locals and some don't.

Also, how do you get your DVR or TIVo to save shows, and your live TV guide?

This analysis is available in many places on the internet. To truly compete with cable with an antenna, the best options seem to be Youtube TV and HULU TV. HULU is a bit cheaper since it includes Disney, but there is no 4K option and some channels are not included. Call it $75 to $80 a month for the 60+ channels including locals. I think that this is comparable to cable. You can buy your premium channels though the bundler or directly (and watch via ROKU).

Personally, I have DISHTV but will continue to review options every couple of years, at negotiation time.

Last edited:
OK, you seem to want free content, and are not willing to watch commercials.
==========
I have a different view. Someone must pay for content. I almost always choose content without commercials, and pay the additional fees.

OK, I misunderstood.

Obviously, you can sign up for a week and then cancel (or a month if a week isn't allowed.

I wasn't saying I want free content and no commercials - or anything about my preference- , I was pointing out that all of these services start out either on the cheap and ad free or totally free content, but have ballooned in costs and it stands to ask the question what the ceiling is on that, and then if these services are really worth it. The effects ripple past the cost and effect quality as well.

I don't get it. None of these services competes with cable. All these services are available to you, with cable or without.
====================================
The open question is how to get the tier of channels and networks that most get through cable or by antenna. There are many competing internet bundlers like Youtube TV, DirectTV streaming, HULU plus TV and lots of others. Some include locals and some don't.

Also, how do you get your DVR or TIVo to save shows, and your live TV guide?

This analysis is available in many places on the internet. To truly compete with cable with an antenna, the best options seem to be Youtube TV and HULU TV. HULU is a bit cheaper since it includes Disney, but there is no 4K option and some channels are not included. Call it $75 to $80 a month for the 60+ channels including locals. I think that this is comparable to cable. You can buy your premium channels though the bundler or directly (and watch via ROKU).

Personally, I have DISHTV but will continue to review options every couple of years, at negotiation time.
I thought my mention of blockchain made it clear that I thought it was a good way to fleece venture capitalists of money and then retire in a lifestyle I would like to become accustomed to :cool:

Yep. Not even as much as I thought it was when I sat down and looked it over. We have YTV ($65), Netflix ($17, I think now), Disney+ ($6 because we prepay annually), Hulu ($8 version), Paramount+ (free with Walmart+), HBO Max (free with AT&T), Prime Video (built into Amazon Prime, so effectively “free”), and Peacock (free with Xfinity). Half of them are free to me due to other subscriptions/memberships and the others add up to about $96. Not really bad at all and we have a ton of stuff available.
And again, you can always cancel a couple of those if money ever gets tight. And then resubscribe a few months later. A la carte system. I’ll take that over paying double per month for a service in which I utilize maybe 6-7 channels at most out of hundreds.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back