PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Giants to be simulcast on CBS and NBC [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats/Giants to be simulcast on CBS and NBC [merged]

Anyone else wonder if Goodell is calling Tom Coughlin right now?

interesting precedent.... when the people whine and don't get wha they want on tv then they use legislation to get what they want.

good thing boxing isn't popular or the RV network

Maybe its easier to create a list of channels that won't be showing the game; that way we know what to flip to during commercials.

Maybe its easier to create a list of channels that won't be showing the game; that way we know what to flip to during commercials.

Yes, I was checking out various pubs in my area to see if I wanted to go there with almost fans who getting drunk is more important than the game. Now I may have as many as 5 options on my own TV.:rocker:

I just saved about $100. Put me in a bar for 4 hours (gotta get there early for a seat) and I can do a lot of damage. You feel obliged to drink more since you are watching their TV.

From my point of view, this is great news--I don't have to hang around at a bar to watch the game.

But I also think it's funny. The NFL caved, but did it in such a way as to make a profit doing it.

As for John Kerry, I'm sure he had a lot of calls from outside of Boston, begging for him to do something. He did. He put public pressure on the NFL, and threatened hearings no one believed would happen. It's what Don Corleone used to do for his constituency.

Frankly, I think that any Senator in the same position would have done much the same and his constituents would have applauded. Is sport serious enough for him to give it this much attention? Well, I have a sneaking feeling that it is at least important enough for those who post here or read this site.

Sport occupies a peculiar position in human affairs, and I guess it has for thousands of years. Think of the Olympics. Sports satisfy some very real urge within us--vicarious combat, perhaps. They're even important during wars or at times of national catastrophe. They played a role, after 911, in convincing us that life would go on, pretty much as usual.

As for me, I'm just glad the NFL caved. It helps keep the national soap opera interesting.

I thought the Pats had already been maxed out on flex/night games no?

It doesn't matter. If this game was available to NBC at the beginning of flex schedule, they might have chose it over the Pats/Buffalo game.

Re: NFL Network will simulcast Pats Giants game on CBS & NBC

Reiss has put this up:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/12/game_to_be_simu.html

Same as the Minneapolis blab.

Personally I think the NFL Network chickened out. I think they should have gone to the mattress on this one. It could be that they came to the realization that their product really isn't worth the extra money they want everyone to pay. Still, this is startling news, but welcome news for those who weren't going to get to see the game, my mom and sis in Springfield for example.

Bob G

The NFL wants the fans to pay extra for their product?

Recent statements from the NFL do not really fallow that logic:

"NFL Network is a programming service of great interest to fans and should be broadly distributed by the cable industry,” said NFL Network President and CEO STEVE BORNSTEIN. “The only channel devoted 24/7 to America’s favorite sport is not programming that should be relegated to a poorly promoted, pay-extra sports tier that takes advantage of our fans’ passion for the NFL. A few of the biggest cable operators have refused to negotiate. We call on them to do what’s right for their consumers and negotiate agreements for NFL Network that make sense for everybody."

It's been said by the NFL and the CEO of the NFL Network that they'd like to see the NFL available within your base cable package (as it is through Dish Net and Directv), but some cable companies have refused to meet the NFL's fee demands. Those cable companies have claimed they don't have enough interest (complete bull) in the NFL Network to justify making the NFL Network a base channel, and paying the fees associated. Some Cable companies have used that supposed lack of interest as an excuse to make us fans pay extra fees for the NFL network, as well.

Last edited:

The NFL made some kind of deal behind the scenes with John Kerry, they are getting something out of this.

Watch him sponsor some legislation soon that sticks it to the cable companies.

So after coming out with his previous statement (which didn't help the NFL Network out at all), he's going to go against his best friends at the cable companies? Yea, that will be the day....

the Records Bowl

Nothing on ESPN.com or NFL.com

Nor should you expect to see ESPN puff it much.
The Records Bowl ... on 3 nationwide networks ...goes up against their Alamo Bowl.

During commercials switch to
Penn State vs Texas A&M.

From my point of view, this is great news--I don't have to hang around at a bar to watch the game.

But I also think it's funny. The NFL caved, but did it in such a way as to make a profit doing it.

As for John Kerry, I'm sure he had a lot of calls from outside of Boston, begging for him to do something. He did. He put public pressure on the NFL, and threatened hearings no one believed would happen. It's what Don Corleone used to do for his constituency.

Frankly, I think that any Senator in the same position would have done much the same and his constituents would have applauded. Is sport serious enough for him to give it this much attention? Well, I have a sneaking feeling that it is at least important enough for those who post here or read this site.

Sport occupies a peculiar position in human affairs, and I guess it has for thousands of years. Think of the Olympics. Sports satisfy some very real urge within us--vicarious combat, perhaps. They're even important during wars or at times of national catastrophe. They played a role, after 911, in convincing us that life would go on, pretty much as usual.

As for me, I'm just glad the NFL caved. It helps keep the national soap opera interesting.

Just because any other Senator would do this (I disagree), doesn't make it right. By the way, no Texas or Wisconsin Senator stepped in and threatened the NFL when the Cowboy/Packer game wasn't on network television.

I'm sorry, but the US Government should have no right to be involved in a dispute like this. Kerry basically blackmailed the NFL to use the powers of congress to force them to run their business the way he wanted them to do it. This is overreaching the powers of Congress in my view.

When will it stop? Will this inspire another Senator to one day force ESPN to allow one of the networks to broadcast a Monday Night Football game eventhough ESPN paid over a billion dollars for the rights just because it is a historic game?

I'm sorry, I don't like the government using their authority to regulate things that they shouldn't be involved in and this is a case of that. It sucks that fans in certain areas of the country wouldn't be able to see the game, but why should that be the government's problem?

So after coming out with his previous statement (which didn't help the NFL Network out at all), he's going to go against his best friends at the cable companies? Yea, that will be the day....

The NFL was trying to squeeze the cable networks in an attempt to increase revenues by sticking every subscriber on the systems with the bill. The networks like to keep the number of 'basic' tier programs to a minimum and charge additional fees for other stations in various premium packages, so they refused to bow to the NFL's demands. The networks didn't blink. The NFL did. It's really that simple when you break it down.

The question now is whether the NFL will keep trying to strong-arm the Cable companies in the offseaon, or whether they'll bow to the current reality the way NBATV did.

Re: Pats/Giants to be simulcast on CBS and NBC [mergedx2]

Holy TV! In NH, where I live, I get 2 NBC channels (one from Ma and another from ME) 2 CBS channels (from same areas as above) and 2 ABC channels (Ch 5 from WCVB and Ch 9 from WMUR). A total of 6 channels are going to be showing Pats games. Unprecedented.

Just because any other Senator would do this (I disagree), doesn't make it right. By the way, no Texas or Wisconsin Senator stepped in and threatened the NFL when the Cowboy/Packer game wasn't on network television.

I'm sorry, but the US Government should have no right to be involved in a dispute like this. Kerry basically blackmailed the NFL to use the powers of congress to force them to run their business the way he wanted them to do it. This is overreaching the powers of Congress in my view.

When will it stop? Will this inspire another Senator to one day force ESPN to allow one of the networks to broadcast a Monday Night Football game eventhough ESPN paid over a billion dollars for the rights just because it is a historic game?

I'm sorry, I don't like the government using their authority to regulate things that they shouldn't be involved in and this is a case of that. It sucks that fans in certain areas of the country wouldn't be able to see the game, but why should that be the government's problem?

At the end of the day...I am sure the NFL felt this was not worth messing around with their Anti-Trust exemption, and they were smart to think that way.

Last edited:

The NFL made some kind of deal behind the scenes with John Kerry, they are getting something out of this.

Watch him sponsor some legislation soon that sticks it to the cable companies.
If he pulls that off he might one day be electable... :rocker:

will the networks get to use their own announcer crews?

No, it will still be Gumbel. It's just a simulcast.

Re: Pats/Giants to be simulcast on CBS and NBC [mergedx2]

Great news for the nfl viewing public. Good PR move for them for airing a historic game to a large audience.

I don't know what the hissyfit is about NFLN showing the game in the first place. The scheduled games were set way before the season started. No one prevents you from switching to Directv, or if you're fortunate enough to have a choice like I have with Verizon Fios. And it won't kill people to go actually watch a game outside of their home. That is what I have to do for the majority of Pats games since I'm not local and I don't have Directv.

No, it will still be Gumbel. It's just a simulcast.

I wish the other networks used their own crew. Gumbel has been terrible on NFLN. My favorite crew is Nantz/Simms on CBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down