PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats cut Redd, re-sign Love, sign OLB Ninkovich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutting Redd doesn't increase my concern because we have been totallly doomed ever since we didn't sign Sulak. :rolleyes:

Come on, man. We didn't have Crable last year. We didn't have Sulak, and Redd was a non factor.

THe only piece missing is Vrabel and coming off of IR are Thomas and Woods. Relax.

No big deal, except it's another linebacker in the revolving door taking up time and a roster space.

Not a good sign that Ninkovich couldn't get on the field with Miami.... But hey who the hell was Mike Vrabel?:confused2:

Not a good sign that Ninkovich couldn't get on the field with Miami.... But hey who the hell was Mike Vrabel?:confused2:

Vrabel played more, but he was a third round pick who led Ohio state in career and single season sacks too. We were fortunate to get such a talent who was stuck behind some top LBs at Pitt.

This guy seems a project, who played Junior College first and produced when given the chance at Perdue. Somebody must have seen something in him to draft him second in the fifth round with his limited college exposure.

Can't have played more than a lick at OLB from what i can gather.

Diamond in the rough time, as opposed to rarin' to go Mike Vrabel.

I'm just chatting to Mike Reiss on Twitter :)cool:), he says Redd looked very one dimensional in practise; very little in the way of pass rush, but decent at setting the edge.

I've just asked him if we might make a real play for Burgess now, I'll let you know if he answers.

I must be missing something... why would you cut Redd BEFORE initiating trade talks with for Burgess?

That's like asking for three cards in a poker match and then trying to bluff.

Personally, I never got the fascination with Redd in the first place. I never thought he had much of a chance to make the 53 man roster in the first place. The only reason he goty activated last year was because the Pats had little options left at OLB.

I must be missing something... why would you cut Redd BEFORE initiating trade talks with for Burgess?

I'm working on a pair of aces

Vrabel played more, but he was a third round pick who led Ohio state in career and single season sacks too. We were fortunate to get such a talent who was stuck behind some top LBs at Pitt.

This guy seems a project, who played Junior College first and produced when given the chance at Perdue. Somebody must have seen something in him to draft him second in the fifth round with his limited college exposure.

Can't have played more than a lick at OLB from what i can gather.

Diamond in the rough time, as opposed to rarin' to go Mike Vrabel.

I am sure your'e right. I am just trying to be optomistic! But,football is a game of maturity, who knows when someones ready to step up. Sometimes it's HS, for some College, for some more never, but he might be ready to step up, just like Vrable.

I am sure your'e right. I am just trying to be optomistic! But,football is a game of maturity, who knows when someones ready to step up. Sometimes it's HS, for some College, for some more never, but he might be ready to step up, just like Vrable.

The issue isn't just that, it's how much OLB has he played, if at all. Not trying to be negative, just realistic. There's a whole league full of cuts out there with some guys who could help soon, hopefully.

If there's reason to think he's a finished project at OLB, someone should bring it up. The comparison to Vrabel seems off bases on college career, pro experience and time playing, even as a backup, OLB in a 3-4.

We're unlikely to have a another ready made bargain like Vrabel fall in our laps, which doesn't mean we won't find a talent requiring more coaching or money to fill our needs.

What's the sense? If he's not cutting it, he's just wasting coaches time. Plenty of guys who want it out there, give one a shot.

(part of my belief in this issue is my belief that woods is not the answer) or someone like guyton.......it could also be an opportunity to work some depth behind the other LB positions as well as giving the secondary time to work together.....

it could also be a good time to give some snaps to some new concepts......

First I can't believe this thread is still going on. Secondly, I have to question you Tank, as to what information you are basing your dismissal of Pierre Woods. Is it his lack of draft pedigree. Is it his lack of past experience, or is the because you have an irrational hatred of the French. :rolleyes:. Because it can't be based on any football reason, because the we just haven't seen enough of Woods to make ANY judgements.

I would expect that back in 2001 the same unreasonable judgements were being made of Mike Vrabel. I'm sure in Pittsburgh, some idiot Steeler fans was probably whining about how the f**k was James Harrison was going to replace Joey Porter. Why as fans do we continually make these wild pronouncements based on nothing but a "feeling" or an individual play we might have seen. Just makes not sense...but then again neither does this entire thread.

Per the WEEI.com Training Camp blog:

•In those one-on-one drills we referenced before — again, some of our favorite scenes in camp — there were some other noteworthy moments. Tight end Dave Thomas got past linebacker Jerod Mayo, running back Kevin Faulk (who is AWESOME in this drill) easily got past linebacker Eric Alexander, wide receiver Randy Moss beat linebacker Adalius Thomas and running back Fred Taylor:wha: put on a nice move to beat new guy Rob Ninkovich.

Clearly he will be cut. Nice to be on board here. Looking forward to a great year with Tommy back at the helm.

Per the WEEI.com Training Camp blog:

•In those one-on-one drills we referenced before — again, some of our favorite scenes in camp — there were some other noteworthy moments. Tight end Dave Thomas got past linebacker Jerod Mayo, running back Kevin Faulk (who is AWESOME in this drill) easily got past linebacker Eric Alexander, wide receiver Randy Moss beat linebacker Adalius Thomas and running back Fred Taylor:wha: put on a nice move to beat new guy Rob Ninkovich.

Clearly he will be cut. Nice to be on board here. Looking forward to a great year with Tommy back at the helm.

Hopefully, the other teams offenses will suck.:D

First I can't believe this thread is still going on. Secondly, I have to question you Tank, as to what information you are basing your dismissal of Pierre Woods. Is it his lack of draft pedigree. Is it his lack of past experience, or is the because you have an irrational hatred of the French. :rolleyes:. Because it can't be based on any football reason, because the we just haven't seen enough of Woods to make ANY judgements.

I would expect that back in 2001 the same unreasonable judgements were being made of Mike Vrabel. I'm sure in Pittsburgh, some idiot Steeler fans was probably whining about how the f**k was James Harrison was going to replace Joey Porter. Why as fans do we continually make these wild pronouncements based on nothing but a "feeling" or an individual play we might have seen. Just makes not sense...but then again neither does this entire thread.

So the fact he's been here for years, looks like he'll be handed the starting job and we have no idea if he can handle it...

that's a good thing.

How Orwellian.

So the fact he's been here for years, looks like he'll be handed the starting job and we have no idea if he can handle it...

that's a good thing.

How Orwellian.

There's not a single player in the entire league that 'we' KNOW can handle their job this season. It's all a degree of hope and expectations, and it's not required that the fanbase be more in tune about this than the coaching staff.

Last edited:

that's a good thing.

How Orwellian.

IF thats the basis on which YOU are making your evaluations, then we might as well close the site and turn in our tickets because we can't POSSIBLY make any positive judgements. The fact is that we DO have some actual basis to make a reasonable expectation, if not an actual "judgement" on Pierre Woods.

The facts are that he had about a game and a half as a starter to gauge his play, as well as the games he was not the starter but in the rotation. In those games, he played solidifly if not spectacularly. Plus I have my own eyes and 5 practices to see that he looks very solid if not spectacular on the practice field. He sets the edge very well, and quite frankly I don't how he's pass rushing since that drill is on the other field,

Why do fans think we have to have dominant pass rushers inorder to have a great pass rush. We NEVER had a double digit OLB sacker during the superbowl years. Who was our "dominant pass rusher THEN! Yet the Pats were always among the sack leaders as a team. Vrabel NEVER had a double digit sacks before 2007, when he could tee off on teams that were catch up mode most of the season.

MOST of the sacks the Pats have recorded over the last 9 years have come from the SCHEME, with a number of guys doing the dirty work to clear the way for someone else. As important as TEAM sacks (and QB pressures) are to the success of the defense, INDIVIDUAL sack totals are perhaps most UNRELIABLE stat when judging the value of a single player to the team.

Pats OLBs have a lot more to do than rush the passer. In the end we will judge them on what the ENTIRE defense does, when they "DO THEIR JOBS".

Last edited:
There's not a single player in the entire league that 'we' KNOW can handle their job this season. It's all a degree of hope and expectations, and it's not required that the fanbase be more in tune about this than the coaching staff.

Obviously you have NEVER heard of Brett "Will he stay or will he go" Favre...in this case the fanbase knows as much as any coaching staff...which admittedly ain't much

Heh Ken, Ventrone is still here, I've got at least one binky left.

I think Moss can catch the ball if Tommy throws it.

Are you turning into an existentialist on me?

IF thats the basis on which YOU are making your evaluations, then we might as well close the site and turn in our tickets because we can't POSSIBLY make any positive judgements. The fact is that we DO have some actual basis to make a reasonable expectation, if not an actual "judgement" on Pierre Woods.

The facts are that he had about a game and a half as a starter to gauge his play, as well as the games he was not the starter but in the rotation. In those games, he played solidifly if not spectacularly. Plus I have my own eyes and 5 practices to see that he looks very solid if not spectacular on the practice field. He sets the edge very well, and quite frankly I don't how he's pass rushing since that drill is on the other field,

Why do fans think we have to have dominant pass rushers inorder to have a great pass rush. We NEVER had a double digit OLB sacker during the superbowl years. Who was our "dominant pass rusher THEN! Yet the Pats were always among the sack leaders as a team. Vrabel NEVER had a double digit sacks before 2007, when he could tee off on teams that were catch up mode most of the season.

MOST of the sacks the Pats have recorded over the last 9 years have come from the SCHEME, with a number of guys doing the dirty work to clear the way for someone else. As important as TEAM sacks (and QB pressures) are to the success of the defense, INDIVIDUAL sack totals are perhaps most UNRELIABLE stat when judging the value of a single player to the team.

Pats OLBs have a lot more to do than rush the passer. In the end we will judge them on what the ENTIRE defense does, when they "DO THEIR JOBS".

Actually, though McGinest and Colvin were considered the top pass rushers, we had the NCAA leader in sacks in Bruschi and Ohio State's all time and single season sack leader in Vrabel.

So the "we never had top pass rushers, it was all a scheme" is merely another myth.

Schemes are important, but you need players who can execute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft