PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats add QB Matt Corral

SlowGettingUp

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score

Edited to correct my original post which was incorrect:

He was only waived yesterday, so Pats did claim him, but because he wasn't claimed from a PS they don't have to keep him on roster for at least three weeks.

Last edited:
Corral is listed at 6-foot-1, so that makes him about six inches taller than Zappe.

Not bad for Ole Miss. If nothing else he was QB1 in arguably the best college conference i.e. SEC.

The Panthers traded with us in 2022 and gave us two picks, one in 2022 and one in 2023, to move up and select Corral. We used the Panthers 2022 pick to select Zappe, and the 2023 pick to select Mapu. We now have all three players from the trade. Crazy.

Corral is listed at 6-foot-1, so that makes him about six inches taller than Zappe.

He is much more mobile and has a much better arm. Definitely an upgrade over Zappe.
At one point he was thought to be an end of round 1 qb

Like this pick up a lot

He had already passed through waivers, so I don't think they are obligated to keep him on roster for 3 games.

He was not on their 2023 PS so far.

He had already passed through waivers, so I don't think they are obligated to keep him on roster for 3 games. So don't think "claimed" in that tweet is the correct word.

Corral was claimed off waivers so takes Thornton’s spot on 53.

He had already passed through waivers, so I don't think they are obligated to keep him on roster for 3 games.
I think he wasn't waived at cutdown on Tuesday, but was instead waived a day a later, since they needed room to claim an O-lineman.

Doesn't anyone secured with a waiver claim, even after cutdown day, have to go to the 53?

He was not on their 2023 PS so far.

Edit: I now see Palm Beach's post, saying he was only waived yesterday. So then he would still have had to go through waivers (as not a vet) and maybe the Pats did indeed claim him.

Confusing.

Last edited:
I agree. But he wasn't signed from a PS, so they don't have to keep him on the active roster for at least 3 weeks.
Right. Patriots have claimed players off other team’s waivers at cutdowns before, put them on the 53 man roster, wait a few days, cut them, have them clear waivers, and then sign to Pats PS. There are a few examples of it but i can’t think of them off the top of my head.

Whereas if they sign someone off another team’s PS, they have to keep them on the 53 for 3 weeks.

my crystal ball....

So he goes to the 53, Zappe is activated to the 53 for game 1, Corral is the "freebie" on the game day active list as the 3rd QB, and Zappe is still #2

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back