PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Which one of these soon to be free agent WR would you want the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... Welker killed us, BB signed him... Bess anyone?

Bess is purely a slot receiver IMO. He would be ineffective on the outside, which is where we need help.

Alright... Jackson or Austin would be nice but I can't see it happening.

These guys would all be solid signings:
Breaston
Walter
Avant
Clayton
Moore

And I like the idea of trading a 4th round pick or so for Lee Evans. Dude was great when he had a guy who could throw long (Losman).

Actually I was looking forward to Brady / Belichick and O'Brien tweaking the playbook for plays where Edelman and Welker can both be on he field together. When they do it now Edelman is split wide and it doesn't work.

Belichick won't spend 10 cents on another receiver except as a draft pick.

Last edited:
Domenik Hixon, not only is he a solid receiver but he can be a lethal kick returner.

ill take jackson over all of them....

however, miles would also be nice

Mark Clayton. He's could be a more reliable version of Stallworth.

Realistically:

Malcolm Floyd
Steve Breaston
Lance Moore
Davone Bess

Here is a list of upcoming 2010 WR free agents...

2010 NFL Free Agents: WR

There are a lot of intriguing candidates this year. Just curious what the Patriots fan base would like to see as the third receiver if one of these players could come our way...

SORRY FOR THE SIDETRACK:

But I was clicking though all the free agents in that link and I stopped at Darren Sproles. Imagine if Faulk is done what Sproles could do in this offense. Would you pay for another receiver if you could get Sproles at the same price?

Jason Avant, Philadelphia Eagles (27)
Lance Moore, New Orleans Saints (27)
Mark Clayton, Baltimore Ravens (28)

Those are my realistic choices.

Although i think they draft one or mr. Tate steps in

I'm with you on these.... Avant is a smart, quick and sure-handed wide receiver that has been buried on the Eagles' roster behind Jackson and, when healthy, Maclin, Curtis, Reggie Brown, etc. And I tend to believe that the Eagles' offense fails to showcase his abilities, given the use of the running backs in the passing game and the use of Celek.

Lance Moore is another guy that has huge upside, but could be limping around the practice field next season too. The year before last, he stepped up in the absence of Colston and set the bar high for 2009. Unfortunately, injuries caused him to miss playing time and Colston and Meachem made him unnecessary in the offensive scheme. Also believe that he may transition into the Pats offense better than Avant, given the pass first offensive style he is coming from.

Owens is a cancer that no team has ever recovered from after getting rid of.

Marshall is grossly competitive, will command a ton of cash and is a potential cancer if things don't go his way.

Austin is this years version of Lance Moore circa 2008. One big season and we are thinking he is the guy. I suspect that 2010 won't be too great for Mr. Miles.

Here is a list of upcoming 2010 WR free agents...

2010 NFL Free Agents: WR

There are a lot of intriguing candidates this year. Just curious what the Patriots fan base would like to see as the third receiver if one of these players could come our way...

the hell with the WRs. i want the pats to re sign there own free agents. there are plenty of them.

The patriots will make tenders to their RFA's (keeoping them all as usual) and franchise Wilfork if necessary. After that there really aren't that many UFA's: Bodden, Burgess, Faulk, Neal, Green and Watson come to mind.

the hell with the WRs. i want the pats to re sign there own free agents. there are plenty of them.

didn;'t know where to post this so thought i'd do it under a Free Agent section. What do people think about making a trade for umenyiora of the giants who seems not to happy there. Think he would make a pretty good pass rushing Olb/4-3 DE for the pats. What do people think?

Like I said a couple of weeks ago. Kevin Walter is the only realistic chance. He could be a solid 3rd option. Other then that, Marshall, Jackson, and Austin are pipe dreams.

Just develop the guys you have, maybe get Kevin Walter, and draft a big name receiver in 2011 (Still riding that Julio Jones bandwagon).

Davone Bess is a great slot receiver and with a better QB, would tear defenses up, but would the Patriots go for him. I don't see it though because he is an ERFA.

Last edited:

Sanity. Bingo - we have a winner

We dont need to go get another WR. Aiken, Tate. Edelman etc can all do a decent job at 3rd/4th WR and we use Baker, Watson more. This issue of a 3rd WR being productive is a result of the desperate playcalling we've seen and Bradys complete over-reliance on Welker while he's been out of form

Sign Brandon Marshall and we have NO money to resign guys we need like Mankins, Vince, Neal, Ghost etc

I think Lance Moore would be cheaper than a lot on the list and very effective

The tight ends were interesting mostly because Ben Watson is a free after this season. The young guy out of St. Louis is a good pick-up if Watson leaves. I'd keep Watson because he blocks well and is in synch with Brady. I wouldn't spend a dime on a WR until the big guys on the lines are paid especially Mankins, Wilfork, Neal and Warren. The free agents I'd look at carefully would be veteran LBs in their mid-20s or a FB who is excellent at pass protection and the occasional 4th & 2 in the 4th quarter up at Indy.

Instead of egocentric malcontents, I might go for consistent production and a guy who could really be a good route runner, and hopefully affordable Josh Reed.

I loved him when he came out in the draft. But since then he's come off as someone who doesn't take football serious enough for us. Plus he has lousy hands IMO.

Hmm... Welker killed us, BB signed him... Bess anyone?

I'm think maybe TE Anthony Fasano or RB Leon Washington for just that reason. (they do well against us and losing them would hurt the 'Phins or Jets)

What do people think about making a trade for umenyiora of the giants who seems not to happy there. Think he would make a pretty good pass rushing Olb/4-3 DE for the pats. What do people think?

A WR to stretch the field opposite Moss is important but getting someone who can rush the passer is my vote as the #1 priority for this team.

Hes 28. Been productive. Can he had for the right deal. Hes due another $13m or so. May be too expensive but if he wants out so badly maybe he'll be willing to make a deal.

Problem: His agent is in the same firm as Jason Chayut- who also represents Deion Branch....:eek:

With all that said- right idea with a pass rusher. Wrong player/agent combo. :(

Last edited:
Half of those players will be RFAs, including Marshall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft