PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shouldn't All The Free Agents On Offense Be Up For Sale/Trade?

Then he lets him go to FA, only trying to sign him at the 11th hour. He did it again with JC Jackson. He doesn't seem like he's had a plan for many years.
He screwed up the Karras negations too and that's likely why we ended up with a crappy guard in the first round last year.

He screwed up the Karras negations too and that's likely why we ended up with a crappy guard in the first round last year.
As Curran said, Bill keeps trying to fix things that aren't broken.

Even with Gonzalez and Judon, this defense is not the kind that you need to keep in tact while you rebuild the offense. I’m thinking Ravens 2000s where they kept that unit at all costs even through losing seasons.

They’re a good defense when healthy, but this isn’t some dominant force. With the exception of Gonzalez, every player on defense should be available in a fire sale for draft capital.

Offense:

Keep Brown this year, he is the only person they have or could get to play LT at an NFL level except maybe Anderson. Try to sign him for next season to be the RT. Keep Mac Jones (replace him post-season), David Andrews, Strange, Sow, Mafi, Rieff (RG) Anderson (backup LT), Bourne, Douglas, Boutte, Thornton, Stevenson. Trade at least one of Henry, Gesicki, Onwenu, Montgomery, and Zeke if a 3rd or 4th (or better obviously) is offered. Release Parker and Juju. Try Anderson at LT on a limited basis. Get Sow in at LG rotating with Mafi until Strange is fully operational. If Sow is OK at LG (we know Mafi isn’t) try Strange at OC to relieve Andrews for a series or two a game.

Defense:

Extend Dugger. Keep Gonzalez, Judon, White, Bentley, Jon Jones, Jack Jones and Marcus Jones. Trade Uche if a 3rd or 4th (or better obviously) is offered.

This keeps a core of decent to very good players on the roster for next season and hopefully gives you an opportunity to see how certain younger guys can play. Go all in for the best available QB, WR, and LT you can get in free agency. Draft a QB in the 1st round if the top 3 are available or an OT and WR if they are not. Draft a WR or OT in the 2nd and 3rd if you didn’t in the 1st.

As of today I’d be happy with Williams, Maye, or Penix, Alt or Fashanu, Harrison, Bowers, or Odunze in the 1st round.

Offense:

Keep Brown this year, he is the only person they have or could get to play LT at an NFL level except maybe Anderson. Try to sign him for next season to be the RT. Keep Mac Jones (replace him post-season), David Andrews, Strange, Sow, Mafi, Rieff (RG) Anderson (backup LT), Bourne, Douglas, Boutte, Thornton, Stevenson. Trade at least one of Henry, Gesicki, Onwenu, Montgomery, and Zeke if a 3rd or 4th (or better obviously) is offered. Release Parker and Juju. Try Anderson at LT on a limited basis. Get Sow in at LG rotating with Mafi until Strange is fully operational. If Sow is OK at LG (we know Mafi isn’t) try Strange at OC to relieve Andrews for a series or two a game.

Defense:

Extend Dugger. Keep Gonzalez, Judon, White, Bentley, Jon Jones, Jack Jones and Marcus Jones. Trade Uche if a 3rd or 4th (or better obviously) is offered.

This keeps a core of decent to very good players on the roster for next season and hopefully gives you an opportunity to see how certain younger guys can play. Go all in for the best available QB, WR, and LT you can get in free agency. Draft a QB in the 1st round if the top 3 are available or an OT and WR if they are not. Draft a WR or OT in the 2nd and 3rd if you didn’t in the 1st.

As of today I’d be happy with Williams, Maye, or Penix, Alt or Fashanu, Harrison, Bowers, or Odunze in the 1st round.
We should move Brown to RT NOW, and see whether Anderson is any good as a LT.

And, yes, Sow should be getting reps at RG. We need to know how ready he is to start at RG and/or backup at RG and RT.

If both Anderson and Sow seem solid, we would go into the off-season with Anderson, Strange, Andrews, Sow, and Brown or his replacement.

Last edited:
Hunter Henry is a 500-600 yard receiving TE that isn't explosive & can't block. The pats should look elsewhere IMO.

Bill O’Brien is the savior though!!

So, we are keeping Onwenu and Henry for the rest of season. Of course, there is no reason to believe that they will re-sign with the patriots.
I get the fatalism, its wearisome, but i understand it... There is every reason to believe that they will re-sign certai players until they don't... We can put cash on the barrel months before anyone else can... So yeah I'm working to keep Onwenu... he's that good, and should be in the long term plans of this team... add to that we have nobody to replace him... so you pay the man...

You think Henry @15.5m is worth it?
yes, I do... HH is one of the guys we need to keep... while $15.5m might be on the high side in comparison to what other tight ends are currently being paid (guys who are better/more productive), but guess what? that's where the market is heading... Unless you want to go back to the Keene/Asiasi days, you try to retain that talent...

A Big Time lesson should have been learned this year vis a vis the Meyers/Schuster shenanigans by the idiots in the front office who made that decision... Hope history does not repeat itself...

Offense:

Keep Brown this year, he is the only person they have or could get to play LT at an NFL level except maybe Anderson. Try to sign him for next season to be the RT.

The sooner fat ass is out of new england, the better.

It is time to look to 2024. Sure, we should try to win every game. But I don't expect Kraft to approve major trades to help the 2023 team.

Personally, I would NOT trade the free agents on Defense. I want the team cohesiveness to continue and I would like to re-sign/extend our free agents.
=============================
SHOULDN"T WE GET ANYTHING WE CAN FOR
Onwenu
Bourne
Henry
Gesicki
Brown
Reiff
Montgomery
====================
I don't include Elliot. I think that he might want to be part of the future.

Some of these players cannot be moved yet because of injuries. We should let them receiver so that they could pass a physical before November 1st.
===========
I might add Shuster and Parker, but no one would want them because of their cap situations.

I would keep Onwenu, but I’m fine with the rest leaving.

still no love for Bourne?

We would do well to extend him with a similar contract to his current one.

Cincy fans want to get rid of Karras ASAP.

Karras was good as a backup center (altho Cincy fans don't think so); he sucked so badly at guard, feet like molasses, he couldn't pull or ever get around.

The fact that you think this was a miss speaks volumes

Yes…everyone on O should be traded if possible and load up on draft picks and cash for the next coach and GM to rebuild this team!

I've been following Gonzalez since college. I think he should be untouchable unless a team offers a deal you can't refuse.

Cincy fans want to get rid of Karras ASAP.

Karras was good as a backup center (altho Cincy fans don't think so); he sucked so badly at guard, feet like molasses, he couldn't pull or ever get around.

The fact that you think this was a miss speaks volumes
Do you ever have a clue? Bill allegedly offered Karras 3 years $15 million in 2022 then after the combine lowered it to 3 years $13 million. Karras then got 3 years $18 million from the Bengals. Not long after botching that he traded away Shaq Mason creating a major need at guard then he reached for a guard in round 1.

It isn't the fact that some fans on some other Messageboard don't like Karras. It's the fact he was at least a starting caliber guard here and Bill ended up creating a hole at a position due to his poor personnel moves and doubled down on the stupidity by taking Cole Strange in the first.

Do you ever have a clue? Bill allegedly offered Karras 3 years $15 million in 2022 then after the combine lowered it to 3 years $13 million. Karras then got 3 years $18 million from the Bengals. Not long after botching that he traded away Shaq Mason creating a major need at guard then he reached for a guard in round 1.

It isn't the fact that some fans on some other Messageboard don't like Karras. It's the fact he was at least a starting caliber guard here and Bill ended up creating a hole at a position due to his poor personnel moves and doubled down on the stupidity by taking Cole Strange in the first.
He was NOT a starting caliber guard. He was far below that level. Adequate as a backup at best.

Also, Bill offered him $2m a year. Where are you coming up with these numbers?

Shaq Mason has been a shell of himself since he was traded, and the Bucs traded him for peanuts.

But here's the big reason why Mason was traded: because when Mason got hurt, Onwenu stepped in and played like an All-Pro. When Mason came back, Onwenu went in at LG and... was horrible. He couldn't play LG. So they had 2 RGs. They went with the better one, who also happened to be much cheaper. Neither of these guys were playing RG, and Mason's departure had absolutely nothing to do with the hole created at RG. That happened because we signed Mason instead of Thuney.

Blast Belichick for THAT! Now that was the mistake. But going back and looking at what could've been with Karras and Mason? Please.

I've been following Gonzalez since college. I think he should be untouchable unless a team offers a deal you can't refuse.
Same could be said about any NFL player including Mahomes. Pats aren't trading Gonzalez.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back