PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shouldn't All The Free Agents On Offense Be Up For Sale/Trade?

The roster is young. Makes no sense to trade anyone other than Mac.
I'd trade him in a heartbeart.

By the way, do you remember the last time the Patriots were in a rebuilding mode without Tom Brady?
I do. I also know exactly how most Patriot fans felt about players like Willie McGinest, Tedy Bruschi, and Kevin Faulk. It wasn't good. These guys were considered prime guys to oust from here. McGinest was considered a huge disappointment, Faulk a reach and a flop, Bruschi was a drinking game. Ty Law, I suppose, we still saw his value. But imagine if we got rid of the young guys under Carroll because they weren't performing.

No one on this offense is going for more than a 5th round pick.

Sold!

Snap up a handful of late round picks and try packaging them up for mid-round picks...or something...

By the way, do you remember the last time the Patriots were in a rebuilding mode without Tom Brady?
I do. I also know exactly how most Patriot fans felt about players like Willie McGinest, Tedy Bruschi, and Kevin Faulk. It wasn't good. These guys were considered prime guys to oust from here. McGinest was considered a huge disappointment, Faulk a reach and a flop, Bruschi was a drinking game. Ty Law, I suppose, we still saw his value. But imagine if we got rid of the young guys under Carroll because they weren't performing.
OK, so you want to keep players who will be free agents in January. Why? What good are these players going to be to the patriots in 2024. Even if the are re-signed, we should be able to sign an equivalent player. You really want to keep Henry and Gesicki for 10 games so much that you refuse a pick? Please explain why.

No one on this offense is going for more than a 5th round pick.

Correct, but I'd love that 5th round pick + getting rid of guys who could help us win a game or two unnecessarily + letting the young guys play...like Boutte. Nobody can tell me that Boutte would be any worse than Parker out there...

Trent Brown could fetch something for the right team, maybe Bourne.
I would keep Brown to be honest as security. He is a serviceable LT and has been our best lineman this year.

Part ways with him and now you have a hole a LT and RT.

Our line is bad enough no need to create more holes in it

Only impending FA’s I care about keeping is Dugger and Henry.

Who wants any of them? The talent is bare on offense.

Maybe Bourne? Can't think of anyone else. Maybe raiders call about Mac. Jimmy G is likely done and McDaniels has won with Mac before

What good is young if they are all jags. There is no one worth keeping on offense.

My priorities are a bit different.

I would extent/re-sign Duggar, Uche or Jennings, Zeke and Bourne.

It is time to look to 2024. Sure, we should try to win every game. But I don't expect Kraft to approve major trades to help the 2023 team.

Personally, I would NOT trade the free agents on Defense. I want the team cohesiveness to continue and I would like to re-sign/extend our free agents.
=============================
SHOULDN"T WE GET ANYTHING WE CAN FOR
Onwenu
Bourne
Henry
Gesicki
Brown
Reiff
Montgomery
====================
I don't include Elliot. I think that he might want to be part of the future.

Some of these players cannot be moved yet because of injuries. We should let them receiver so that they could pass a physical before November 1st.
===========
I might add Shuster and Parker, but no one would want them because of their cap situations.
You keep Onwenu and Henry.

You trade Bourne, get a third or whatever.

The rest are just flotsam.

And screw that fat ass Trent Brown. And when you send him packing, send Adrian klemm with him. God awful tackle, even worse OL coach.

Don't touch the defense but everyone on offense can go. I'd honestly see if Denver wants to eat some money and would swap Mac for Russ. Obviously Russ would need to restructure to make it work but even a washed up Russ is probably better as a bridge to the next guy than Mac is.

Please tell me the last time there was a “package” deal in the NFL. Not happening.
There have been plenty of trades where multiple players were swapped. In addition to the picks, the Broncos traded 4 players for Wilson.

It is time to look to 2024. Sure, we should try to win every game. But I don't expect Kraft to approve major trades to help the 2023 team.

Personally, I would NOT trade the free agents on Defense. I want the team cohesiveness to continue and I would like to re-sign/extend our free agents.
=============================
SHOULDN"T WE GET ANYTHING WE CAN FOR
Onwenu
Bourne
Henry
Gesicki
Brown
Reiff
Montgomery
====================
I don't include Elliot. I think that he might want to be part of the future.

Some of these players cannot be moved yet because of injuries. We should let them receiver so that they could pass a physical before November 1st.
===========
I might add Shuster and Parker, but no one would want them because of their cap situations.
Like you and many of us posters. We've realized this is it. No matter if we go on a run an win the next 5,6 games. There will be changes. We are the worst offense in the league. We’ve gotten worse each of the Last 4 seasons. BB knows better than anyone the temperature of his team. He's part of the front office and in the locker room as well.

I believe RK is going to evaluate things and determine if he wants to watch his franchise go through another tumultuous period or just respectfully part ways with BB. So I think on defense:

Peppers, Dugger, Barmore, gonzo,judon, Bentley are the pillars going forward.

KB, Rham, Boutee, Douglas are the guys I'd stick with going forward on offense everyone else is up for debate. Everyone on the Offensive line needs to be upgraded. As great as Andrews has been I think he'll be retiring soon He's beat up.

As you mentioned so many guys are on 1yr. Or expiring deals. So there may not be alot of trade commodity.

The best thing I think they can do is draft a potential playmaker and surround Mac with Alphas at WR next season.

It’s a good thing Bill likes to collect 7th round picks cause with this group of offensive “talent” (other than Onwenu who should be the right tackle right now) we won’t be offered much more than 7th rounders…..

Correct, but I'd love that 5th round pick + getting rid of guys who could help us win a game or two unnecessarily + letting the young guys play...like Boutte. Nobody can tell me that Boutte would be any worse than Parker out there...
Exactly where I am at. I'll take some late round picks to clear some cap room and room on the depth chart.

Henry may only be 28, but he’s been in the NFL for 8 seasons. That’s a lot of mileage on that body. A lot of hits. He should absolutely be a trade candidate if we are going this route.

How can we trade if we don't have enough to even play?
Sort of why you wouldn't be able to move Brown. He already steps aside on enough plays as it is, so the protection on that side would only get even worse.

have to weigh a trade vs a comp pick.
but yes, I would look to trade numerous players other teams may see as valuable for the playoff chase. Bourne, Guy, Uche, Henry, Gesicki.
I am split on Dugger and Onwenu. very disappointed in Onwenu and his inability to get and stay on the field.

have to weigh a trade vs a comp pick.
but yes, I would look to trade numerous players other teams may see as valuable for the playoff chase. Bourne, Guy, Uche, Henry, Gesicki.
I am split on Dugger and Onwenu. very disappointed in Onwenu and his inability to get and stay on the field.
Comp picks of any real value are based on the guys that leave signing big deals elsewhere. I don't know how many of these guys will do that.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back