PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bucs Fire Lovie Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you guys cut the sh.t. I'm doing my best to piss off any jet fans that might wander by with posts and threads devoted to Fitzpatrick leaving the Jets and Geno returning and people keep responding with comments about him staying there. Get with the program d%#*!@t.
OK...I like you agenda.

Fitzy would be best served going to STL.

I agree with the sentiment that two years is not enough to completely implement a program, but I think it's enough to figure out you don't like where that program is going.

I think the Bills already know after one year they don't like where Rexy is taking the team.

It's funny how quickly we forget the reason so many of these coaches have jobs is that there really weren't any better choices at the time of their hiring. I'm sure 31 teams would gladly hire BB, but Kraft has given him lucre and the keys to the kingdom so he has no reason to leave.

Pretty much every coaching candidate out there has flaws:
  • Not enough experience, too raw
  • Too much experience, doesn't want it bad enough
  • Only knows one side of the ball
  • Doesn't know the personnel side
  • Wants too much control
  • Wants too much money
  • Great football mind but can't interact with players/media very well
  • Too much a player's coach (no discipline)
  • Not enough of a player's coach (too lax)
  • Too detail oriented (can't delegate)
  • Good coordinator but bad HC (job too big for them)
  • Etc.
It makes it pretty easy to say a year or two later that team X should not have hired coach Y.

They fired him via telephone.

Glazers = class

I think Lovie is a decent coach. He isn't a great coach, but he is good enough with the right talent. He did okay with the Bears. The Bucs are fools for firing him after only two years.

Stability is the most important quality of a successful franchise, well that and a QB, but if a team is going to start over every couple of years, that good QB isn't going to be successful.

Lovie could have been competitive in that division, they showed some improvement in 2015....

I think Lovie is a decent coach. He isn't a great coach, but he is good enough with the right talent. He did okay with the Bears. The Bucs are fools for firing him after only two years.

Stability is the most important quality of a successful franchise, well that and a QB, but if a team is going to start over every couple of years, that good QB isn't going to be successful.

Lovie could have been competitive in that division, they showed some improvement in 2015....

I totally agree that's why the Bucs will always suck hard to believe they won SB that I actually remember its going to become distant memory in the years to come.

Lovie Smith got screwed. He took on the job of rebuilding the worst team in the NFL and made progress with a rookie quarterback in a pretty good division that featured one dominant team and two .500 teams with capable QBs. Tough break.

Tampa Bay is a great opportunity for Josh McDaniels. Rookie of the Year QB, tremendous running back in Doug Martin (1402 yards in 2015), decent receiving corps, young and solid defensive front seven, high draft position. Winston got better as the season wore on, and seemed to get it as a pocket passer.

The downside is that there's a dominant team in the division and the owner isn't one of the top guys in the NFL. The NFC South could be and AFC East if Carolina can keep their veterans and Cam Newton learns to protect himself. That's a problem.

I wonder if they did this because Licht has his eyes on MacDaniels and feared he would be off the market if he waited?

Has someone made a "should we bring Lovie as an assistant" thread yet?

stephen a is in full ****** mode playing the race card everyday

played the race card today.

wonder what he thinks of tomsula getting fired after 1 season. stephen a deserves his own show on MSNBC.

They may interview Josh but it seems Koetter is the guy.
Josh is either Titan bound or staying Pat

They may interview Josh but it seems Koetter is the guy.
Josh is either Titan bound or staying Pat

Giants. Adam Schefter was reporting yesterday that Sean Payton is going to stay in New Orleans.

It sounds like they were scared that Koetter was gonna get a job elsewhere so they shytcanned Lovie.

Hmmm . . .

It sounds like they were scared that Raheem Morris was gonna get a job elsewhere so they shytcanned Gruden.

I knew that sounded familiar. ;)

W/e, as long as they remain the Pats' farm team. :D

That surprises me a little, since the team seemed to be trending in the right direction, but I'm not against. Lovie's a defensive coach, and the game has passed him by. The defense sucked this year, and the Tampa 2 is now a niche defense that you can't run as your base. He hasn't coached a good D in about 5 years.

Lovie is Dungy's disciple who handed him the Superbowl when he was the Bear's coach. He is amediocre coach who will continue to be the Rooney rule interviewee for future jobs.

Lovie is Dungy's disciple who handed him the Superbowl when he was the Bear's coach. He is amediocre coach who will continue to be the Rooney rule interviewee for future jobs.

Careful, your racism is showing.

You are not applying the Rooney Rule effectively here.

The RR says that NFL teams must include minorities in their HC pool of candidates and interview process. Teams are under no obligation to hire a minority if they feel they are not a fit for the job.

Lovie Smith is a very average coach.He has been more of a failure than a success these past few years but the RR and the color of his skin have nothing to do with it.

Careful, your racism is showing.
The truth is the truth. He is a mediocre coach regardless of skin color. As for your aspersions, you don't know me or my views. Only a fool would make such a statement.

You are not applying the Rooney Rule effectively here.

The RR says that NFL teams must include minorities in their HC pool of candidates and interview process. Teams are under no obligation to hire a minority if they feel they are not a fit for the job.

Lovie Smith is a very average coach.He has been more of a failure than a success these past few years but the RR and the color of his skin have nothing to do with it.
Please read what I said which was that he would be an interviewee for future jobs as required by the Rooney Rule. I did not say that he would be hired because of it.

Please read what I said which was that he would be an interviewee for future jobs as required by the Rooney Rule. I did not say that he would be hired because of it.

Ok thats fine.

Your 1st sentence seemed to go down that road by saying he is mediocre and the RR indirectly got him the gigs. Moving on...

With that said, Stephen A Smith- off all people actually thinks the RR hurts black coaches because - as you imply they are on stand by always be interviewed but never are hired- which inadvertently creates the perception that they are not good enough to have HC jobs. He has a point.

I think with Lovie because hes been at two orgs and fired both times, he might be out of chances for a 3rd gig regardless of the RR

Ok thats fine.

Your 1st sentence seemed to go down that road by saying he is mediocre and the RR indirectly got him the gigs. Moving on...

With that said, Stephen A Smith- off all people actually thinks the RR hurts black coaches because - as you imply they are on stand by always be interviewed but never are hired- which inadvertently creates the perception that they are not good enough to have HC jobs. He has a point.

I think with Lovie because hes been at two orgs and fired both times, he might be out of chances for a 3rd gig regardless of the RR
Ok. He did get his first chance because he was the DC for Dungy who was an excellent head coach at Tampa and Indy. Lovie had a good team at Chicago which got progressively worse until he got fired there and had a second chance at Tampa. Regardless of color, fired head coaches typically get rehabilitated over time to get another HC chance, but the ones that actually become great like BB are few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back