PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Smith-Schuster's Future - Is he N'Keal Harry?

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing many of us are wondering is whether or not Belichick is going to be able to admit that they were given bad intel on Smith-Schuster's knee and potentially be stubborn enough not to cut ties sooner than later if his production continues to hamper the offense.

I make the N'Keal Harry comparison because while Smith-Schuster has at least seemingly done a good job blocking in the ground game (granted, the offensive line is another story), I would say one of the things that held this offense back was not cutting ties with Harry quickly enough, as his lack of production in the passing game was an issue that obviously lasted longer than it should have.

My concern is, given how far into it they are, whether or not he finishes the year and potentially remains this offseason for another evaluation. If that happens, it might deter them from replacing him due to his current salary, and as a result, their issues at receiver could carry over into next year.

So I guess this is a long-winded way of asking people their thoughts on whether or not Belichick - or whoever, depending on how this year goes - will be willing to bite the bullet and admit the error, or if people feel he'll be someone who will be here longer than beyond this year.

I don’t think he’ll go anywhere this year, but I also wouldn’t advise him to buy property in the area for next.

Wishful thinking: Gone by Oct. 31
Reality: Offseason/At least one more season

If there’s no coming back from his knee issues would he retire after the season?

I really feel like KC might want to take him off our hands for less than $1M this year. They need help at WR. They’ll just take a $7M dead money hit when they cut him next year or they can keep him.

I really feel like KC might want to take him off our hands for less than $1M this year. They need help at WR. They’ll just take a $7M dead money hit when they cut him next year or they can keep him.
We can dream of beautiful things...but this is a nightmare season. I just hope to see all the rookies play.

I think the biggest thing many of us are wondering is whether or not Belichick is going to be able to admit that they were given bad intel on Smith-Schuster's knee and potentially be stubborn enough not to cut ties sooner than later if his production continues to hamper the offense.

I make the N'Keal Harry comparison because while Smith-Schuster has at least seemingly done a good job blocking in the ground game (granted, the offensive line is another story), I would say one of the things that held this offense back was not cutting ties with Harry quickly enough, as his lack of production in the passing game was an issue that obviously lasted longer than it should have.

My concern is, given how far into it they are, whether or not he finishes the year and potentially remains this offseason for another evaluation. If that happens, it might deter them from replacing him due to his current salary, and as a result, their issues at receiver could carry over into next year.

So I guess this is a long-winded way of asking people their thoughts on whether or not Belichick - or whoever, depending on how this year goes - will be willing to bite the bullet and admit the error, or if people feel he'll be someone who will be here longer than beyond this year.
Come on. Are you honestly trying to foment an idea that Bill Belichick will deny how he evaluated a player in order to not admit he was wrong and will harm the team by putting him on the field because he thinks that’s better than “admitting he made a mistake”?

Smith-Schuster has been a good receiver his entire career. Including #1 on a SB champion just last year. If he is undergoing injury issues you don’t just bail on a player because due to injury he isn’t what you expected for 5 games.

Harry played 1130 snaps in 3 years. I’m sure we aren’t saying bail
on him as a rookie or year 2. In year 3 he played 326 snaps and the vast majority of those were as a blocker.
So when exactly should this stubborn ingrate who wouldn’t admit he was wrong have bailed on a first round pick?

Last edited:
Supposedly his contract is incentive laden for a reason and they'll cut ties after this year unless things do a 180.

Great post Ian. Well to me juju wasn't 100%.. he said he was still in pain and discomfort even during the superbowl. Those knee injuries are career threats to a guy like juju who relies on lateral movements to get YAC. He is a far better WR than he's shown. It doesn't help that the offense has been stuck in park this season. So it's hard to actually gadge how good or bad juju actually is in this offense. I'd say let him get healthy on IR this season and then make a decision on him. So far we can say it hasn't worked out. But that can be said about the entire offense. At least juju was established and actually did something in the league. Harry has done 0. He even had the nerve to asked to be traded!

Supposedly his contract is incentive laden for a reason and they'll cut ties after this year unless things do a 180.
They lose cap space next year if they cut him though, it’s cheaper to keep him. His $7M salary in 2024 is guaranteed. They’d be way better off finding a trade partner now or in the offseason even if it’s for a flip of 7th round picks. I’d rather find a way to offload him and use that space on a modest Bourne extension or to pursue a legitimate WR threat next year, among other needs.

He is as bad as N'Keal, and old.

Taking him on was fireably stupid.

I think he still has value in the league and they should trade him back to KC for a 4th or 5th rounder. Mahomes/Reid would find a way to get Juju open that the Pats aren't capable of. I think the receiving corps will play better without him this week.

At this point I want them to trade all vets to better situations for picks.

Injury settlement ... bye bye I hope.
Team needs to cut bait with the deadwood ... no need to prolong mistakes ... move on now.
Also Cole ... put him on IR and get that knee fixed for next season.

I can barely think of anybody on this roster worth keeping.

....the rookie punter?

I'd keep Mac, but I think Bill screwed him up too much by this point.

I kings hope he gets IRed the rest of the year give the young guys the run.

So when exactly should this stubborn ingrate who wouldn’t admit he was wrong have bailed on a first round pick?
In 2021, at the very latest mid season, the moment he needed a rookie QB to tell him where to line up mere months after he demanded to be traded.

If this doesn’t infuriate you, I don’t know what else to say. That and all the screenshots I grabbed or him being late off the snap. I was someone who frequently defended him, but he lost me after that.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back