PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why can't we draft receivers?

His scouts?

Sorry Pape but there are times where you should know that your friends have competing interests, and you shouldn’t lean too heavily upon their references. College coaches are always going to promote their players, and give biased takes on them because it helps their recruiting. Herm is always upbeat, and Urban Meyer was talking up a serial killer to him. I’m not saying that you should never listen to college coaches about their players, but I would probably give more credence to their takes on opposing players than on their own.
you use all available resources Ivan

you use all available resources Ivan

I agree, the question is the weight you give their input. Why he continued to believe Urban Meyer is beyond me.

From Reiss this AM, Andrew Brandt the VP for the Packers when Eilot was coming up the ranks....Brandt said that Eilot Wolf was HIGH on Greg Jennings in round 2. The Packers traded back in round 2 with us...we moved up for Chad Jackson...and they took Greg Jennings....

Hmmmm....food for thought...

I'm less concerned about meat on his bones than I am about meat between the ears. He didn't seem to get any smarter since he's been here.
Let's get him a real QB and then see what he can do. We nknow he can't run those short routes but someone with an arm may make greater use of him

This thread is now obsolete given there's a new direction. Let's wait and see how this draft turns out at WRs.

This about Wolf is encouraging. Jennings was a Wolf target in Rd 2:

"Jennings ended up being there at the 52nd pick -- in part because the Patriots had traded with Green Bay to move up to No. 36 to select underachieving Florida receiver Chad Jackson instead -- and he played seven productive seasons for the Packers and was a key part of the 2010 Super Bowl championship team."

From Reiss this AM, Andrew Brandt the VP for the Packers when Eilot was coming up the ranks....Brandt said that Eilot Wolf was HIGH on Greg Jennings in round 2. The Packers traded back in round 2 with us...we moved up for Chad Jackson...and they took Greg Jennings....

Chad Jackson was awesome.

I agree, the question is the weight you give their input. Why he continued to believe Urban Meyer is beyond me.
because hes 187-32, 12-3 in bowl series play? would be my guess

Bill also relied on his friends coaching in college too much. Herm Edwards toured the Harry pick to him big time, and Urban Meyer sent him scumbags by the boatload.
same problem when teams pick players in their own state

Being a winning coach doesn’t make him an honest and reliable resource on his players.

Being a winning coach doesn’t make him an honest and reliable resource on his players.
GIF by Giphy QA

Well, Meyer and Hernandez are both scumbags, so he's got that going for him.

That just goes to show the bumbling incompetence in our draft room when it comes to wide receivers.

The debate in this thread led me on a quest to find what the pre-draft consensus was on players prior to the 2006 draft. There isn't much that is still available, but the few tidbits to be found were amusing to me.

This one has Chad Jackson being the first WR to be selected in the draft, going to Denver at #15.

These guys have Santonio Holmes as the #1 WR and Jackson #2, just as it unfolded in the draft. They also have some guy named Martin Nance as the #4 WR, ahead of Maurice Stovall and Greg Jennings. Nance signed with Buffalo as an undrafted free agent. He was cut at the end of training camp, and appeared in only one meaningless, season-ending NFL game.

This site lists ten 2006 WR prospects, with Holmes-Jackson-Nance as their #1-2-3 WRs; Jennings failed to make the top ten list. However, they were quite prescient in their brief analysis:

Most likely to succeed: Holmes​
Most likely to be a bust: Jackson​
Super Sleeper: Greg Jennings, Western Michigan​

The debate in this thread led me on a quest to find what the pre-draft consensus was on players prior to the 2006 draft. There isn't much that is still available, but the few tidbits to be found were amusing to me.

This one has Chad Jackson being the first WR to be selected in the draft, going to Denver at #15.

These guys have Santonio Holmes as the #1 WR and Jackson #2, just as it unfolded in the draft. They also have some guy named Martin Nance as the #4 WR, ahead of Maurice Stovall and Greg Jennings. Nance signed with Buffalo as an undrafted free agent. He was cut at the end of training camp, and appeared in only one meaningless, season-ending NFL game.

This site lists ten 2006 WR prospects, with Holmes-Jackson-Nance as their #1-2-3 WRs; Jennings failed to make the top ten list. However, they were quite prescient in their brief analysis:

It's encouraging to see Wolf nailed Jennings despite the draft gurus mocks.

They knew Harry was going to be a bust right away.

I just saw the video clip of the Patriots when Justin Jefferson was picked. The Patriots were the next pick and were preparing to take him.

2 WRs in the 1st round 2 years in a row. That would have been quite the thing given that they hadn't taken a WR in the 1st round since Terry Glenn.

As soon as Jefferson was picked, the Patriots turned to trading their pick.

Someone on Twitter remarked that they should've traded up for him. Of course, Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy and Jaelen Reagor were selected before Jefferson, oooof!, so hopefully they didn't have those guys on their board.

Seriously Pape, if you were buying a car from Urban Meyer would you take his word on it? Think about it, how many drive by’s took place in that thing?

Eliot Wolf definitely read that.

As some have said, it's not relevant (we hope) anymore because this is a new set of decision makers. But, as with most things in the NFL and life, it has historically been a combination of many factors. Put them in whatever order you think is most appropriate:

1) Inability to evaluate who will fit the scheme consistently

2) Heavily intertwined with the above, a scheme that is both mentally taxing (even on veterans) and not commonly run in the college ranks, making it more difficult to scout (and a harsher college to NFL transition for the player).

3) Not hammering the position with consistent high picks, thus leaving success/failure to a handful of dice rolls.

4) A philosophy that makes it harder for young players to get snaps unless they're already better than a veteran (which has its perks for competitions sake, but makes player development in the long term a bit harder).

5) Bad luck (not my heaviest factor, but guys like Mitchell showing promise but never being healthy was a killer).

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back