PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets on way to implosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, who really cares about his completion percentage?

You can't be serious. NFL QBs have to be at 60% or above to be considered starting-caliber. You get the occasional game manager like Freeman this year or Dilfer in the past that can have success by not making mistakes...but even those guys are generally sniffing 60%. The list of 53% passers that don't end up on the trash heap is pretty short. Add in a turnover tendency and the list is non-existent.

I think Sanchez can be as good as he wants to be...but it is going to take absolute dedication to improving his mechanics, functional strength and gameplan knowledge. If he wasn't willing to do that after coming within spitting distance of the Super Bowl, when will he?

Interesting fact I got off the Jets board: The Jets have never won a game in the state of Pennsylvania. 0-7 @ Pitt; 0-4 @ Philly

They've never won a game in a state of panic either...:woohoo:
:rofl:

I look at Mark Sanchez and I see a guy who simply is not talented enough. Doesn't have the arm strength, doesn't have the mechanics, doesn't have the footwork, doesn't have touch on his passes, doesn't have any pocket presence. These deficiencies are all extremely hard to overcome. Add that to the fact that he doesn't read defenses well and has no accuracy to speak of and you have a bottom 5 NFL QB unless he drastically improves on at least half of those areas. And it's not like it's only up to him to become great, or even pretty good. I look at him and see no signs of greatness whatsoever, from his crappy footwork to the way he handles himself on the sidelines.

I think pretty much any other quarterback in the league could achieve what Sanchez has achieved on that team. That offense is loaded and he ****s the bed week after week. He is a major disappointment right now.

Last edited:
I believe Mark Sanchez already is what he's going to be.

Here's the list of NFL quarterbacks, post-merger, with 800 or more pass attempts in their first two years, and a completion percentage of 55% or less.
Rk Player From To Lg Tm G W L T Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A AY/A
1 Steve DeBerg 1978 1979 NFL SFO 28 4 24 0 484 880 55.0% 5222 25 43 61.8 5.93 4.30
2 Drew Bledsoe 1993 1994 NFL NWE 29 15 14 0 614 1120 54.8% 7049 40 42 70.3 6.29 5.32
3 Rick Mirer 1993 1994 NFL SEA 29 11 18 0 469 867 54.1% 4984 23 24 68.4 5.75 5.03
4 Mark Sanchez 2009 2010 NFL NYJ 28 17 11 0 431 805 53.5% 5296 28 32 69.1 6.58 5.49
5 Joey Harrington 2002 2003 NFL DET 30 8 22 0 524 983 53.3% 5174 29 38 62.2 5.26 4.11
6 Tony Banks 1996 1997 NFL RAM 30 10 20 0 444 855 51.9% 5798 29 28 71.3 6.78 5.99

Other than Bledsoe and DeBerg, nobody in that list started more than 80 NFL games.

(Thanks to the good folks at Pro Football Reference for the stats.)

Last edited:
SANCHEZ IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS!

19528_o.gif

Please. Poor judgment. I hope he gets fined but everyone makes mistakes.

Keeping in mind that I'm not an NFL Coach... in all honesty, if I ever get a chance to watch a game from the NFL sidelines, I'm not sure I'd be able to stop myself from doing the same thing

Here's the list of NFL quarterbacks, post-merger, with 800 or more pass attempts in their first two years, and a completion percentage of 55% or less.

Other than Bledsoe and DeBerg, nobody in that list started more than 80 NFL games.

League-wide completin percentages were lower in those years as well.
And Beldsoe was 58/51 because he played most of year 2 with a bad shoulder.

Can you create searches like that on profootballreference?

Can you create searches like that on profootballreference?

Yes.

Look in the lower right where it says "Player Game Finder," etc.

As an example of how much data they have, I think you can find a list of all the QBs who started an away game on MNF between 1990 and 2000 who were in their first three years as a QB, and threw at least one touchdown in that game, and get it sorted by passing yards.

Last edited:
nice find and a great post ,ct...it just gets better here at Patsfans...best fans in the league

Turns out Rex Ryan was right... he just has bad handwriting... everyone thought it said "champs"

Attachments

• soontobechumps.jpg
    soontobechumps.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Yes.

Look in the lower right where it says "Player Game Finder," etc.

As an example of how much data they have, I think you can find a list of all the QBs who started an away game on MNF between 1990 and 2000 who were in their first three years as a QB, and threw at least one touchdown in that game, and get it sorted by passing yards.

I think I've visited that site like 4 or 5 times a day the past few months without noticing that :rofl: Thanks!

Watch the 27 second mark here YouTube - jets trip dolphin

They have 6 men here to get in the way. You can see Rex 6 feet away and slightly behind. Is he looking at the ball which was kicked to the other end of the field? No he is watching his guys about to take out the Miami –player out of bounds.

see attached image

Attachments

• Jets.jpg
    Jets.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 221
Ooooooooooooh... :eek:

Last edited:
Again, who really cares about his completion percentage? It's as bad a stat as total yards allowed on defense.

I agree. Having a QB who can complete a pass consistently is soooo overrated. Rather have a guy who can throw for 8 TDs vs. 12 INTs over the last 9 games like Sanchez.

C'mon, completion percentage is a valid stat. All of the elite QBs consistently are among the tops in the league in completion percentage. If it is a bad stat, these QBs would not consistently be among the leaders. Right now, 4 of th top 5 in completion percentage are Brady, Manning, Rivers, and Brees. Only Romo is higher than any of them, but that is because he missed most of the season.

If completion percentage is a bad stat, then what should we use to measure Sanchez? Pick one. Because by pretty much every metric available, he's awful.

Completion percentage? 29th.

Total passing yards? 15th.

Yards per game? 24th.

TDs? 19th.

QB rating? 28th.

The only area Sanchez can be considered a top-10 QB is in INTs, as he's tied for 9th-most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes