PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giant Advantages ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have a clue what you are talking about. There is a reason why Dockery is fifth on the Giants depth chart at cornerback .... it's called a lack of talent. If you had not noticed, Dockery wasn't even selected in the 2006 NFL Draft.

One of us doesn't know what they are talking about... and that would be you.
Dockery was the starting nickle corner on the Giants he was ahead of both Webster and McQuarters. His injury got Webster some play time and Webster has been better than anybody expected.

So Dockery wasn't the 5th corner and he doesn't 'lack talent'. He has done a great job when healthy.

Go ahead and run the ball 30 times for 100 yards against the Patriots. The Giants will get their asses kicked if that's the case. You're not going to outscore the Patriots with that offense, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Here's a stat...Patriots 18-0

you miss that somewhere along the line, Skippy?

One of us doesn't know what they are talking about... and that would be you.
Dockery was the starting nickle corner on the Giants he was ahead of both Webster and McQuarters. His injury got Webster some play time and Webster has been better than anybody expected.

So Dockery wasn't the 5th corner and he doesn't 'lack talent'. He has done a great job when healthy.

He lacks talent. There, I said it.

Kevin Dockery, cornerback for the New York Football Giants, lacks talent when compared to the average NFL cornerback. He is absolutely nothing to write home about, and if you keep insisting otherwise, you're only damaging your credibility further.

My stat:
Jacobs had over 110 offensive yards and a TD against your defense last game and he did it WITHOUT Bradshaw.

It's a pleasant coincidence, but if you're counting all purpose yards for your running attack, than our running backs had almost exactly the same number of yards as yours in that game:

Jacobs/ Droughns - 21 touches - 110 yards 1 TDs

Maroney / Faulk / Evans - 28 touches - 112 yards 2 TDs

What else do you have, stats-wise, just out of curiosity?

Brady is not Romo, and he's not Favre. You're talking about two gunslinging QBs whose style of play makes them especially vulnerable to putting up a stinker like that. Brady could not be any more different than those two in terms of poise or style, trust me.

If you are pinning your hopes on the Patriots choking, you're going to be mighty disappointed, I'm sorry.

As for the running game, Jacobs could not scare me less, he's exactly the type of runner the Pats should be able to handle. Bradshaw does scare me a lot more, because it's little speedy scatbacks like him which give the Patriots nightmares.

Right. basically Romo is very overrated.. can be easily confused. The Cowboys played into the Giants hands. Frozen Lambeau was more of a detriment to elderly favre than young eli

Wow. With the exception of the Bills game, those numbers are way more mediocre than I expected them to be. Thanks to you, I'm actually a little less worried than I was before about the Giants rushing attack. You've finally made a positive contribution.

In all seriousness, you're giving us the number of carries as if just running it down the Patriots throat by sheer volume of carries (regardless of ypc) is going to get it done.

Well then I should give you some more stats since you guys love them so much:

Bucs gave up only 3.8 per carry in the regular season. (4th)
Green Bay gave up 3.9 per carry in the regular season. (10th)
Dallas gave up 4.0 per carry in the regular season. (13th)

Your 'almighty' Pats => 4.4 per carry. 26th in the League!!!

Still feeling over confident ?

It's a lot easier to run on the Pats compared to Bucs, Packers, and Cowboys.

Giants already had success against better rush defenses.

Go ahead and run the ball 30 times for 100 yards against the Patriots. The Giants will get their asses kicked if that's the case. You're not going to outscore the Patriots with that offense, that's for sure.

There are only 4 teams in the league that gave up more yards per carry then your beloved Pats:

Miami, Oakland, Denver and Cleveland.

Your run defense is weak, what keeps it from being exposed is your offense.
When you put up 35+ points teams have to start passing to keep up.

In the SB you might be introduced to Giants Smash Mouth Football.
The combination of Jacobs/Bradshaw might be too much for your aging LBers.

The only problem is limiting your offense.

When you have the largest scoring differential in NFL history, you tend to play defense a little differently than when you're eking out wins by <10 points.

Imho, Belichik managed his personnel brilliantly all year, especially in regards to injuries. A team can only take away so much, and considering they ranked in the top 10 in most major categories on both sides of the ball, I'd say they're ok.

Did I mention, their way of doing things was 18-0?
I know that's not as impressive as 13-6, and 4-5 against playoff opponents combined, but still.

There are only 4 teams in the league that gave up more yards per carry then your beloved Pats:

Here is what I don't get:

When people bring up the regular season concerning the Giants, they get told "They are a much better team now! Ignore the regular season stats."

Then we talk about defending against the run and in the post-season the only two teams better than the Patriots were the first-round exiting Titans and Redskins. So out of every team playing more than ONE game in the post season, the Patriots have defended the best against the run (no small feat considering who they've played so far.) But you want to not look at that cause they gave up running yards during the regular season.

Last edited:

God, dude, you can't have it both ways. Either you want to talk about how well the Giants are playing now, or you want to talk about the regular season.

You're telling us how much more dangerous the Giants rushing game is with Jacobs and Bradshaw (in other words, NOW), but you want to look at the whole season worth of stats on the Patriots run defense, ignoring how well they are playing NOW. In fact, the Patriots have been very staunch against the run in the playoffs. In fact, we completely shut out Taylor/MJD (I know Bradshaw is quick, but he's no MJD) on the ground.

If you continue to cherry pick stats to make your point, with absolutely no regard for time frame or context, than you are nothing more than a hypocrite, I'm sorry. I suppose you also want to tell us how soft the Patriots ground offense is, despite how Maroney has run in the playoffs?

You have an excellent point.
While we were setting an alltime NFL record for point differential, and playing games with TREMENDOUS leads on opponents, we were easy to run on WHILE PLAYING PREVENT DEFENSE.
I wold expect once we are up about 35-7, your vaunted running game will get a very nice yards per carry.

You have an excellent point.
While we were setting an alltime NFL record for point differential, and playing games with TREMENDOUS leads on opponents, we were easy to run on WHILE PLAYING PREVENT DEFENSE.
I wold expect once we are up about 35-7, your vaunted running game will get a very nice yards per carry.

Man you guys really love stats... if stats is what you want stats is what you will get. But remember you asked for it.

My stat:
Jacobs had over 110 offensive yards and a TD against your defense last game and he did it WITHOUT Bradshaw.

Your typical response:
NE played a vanilla defense and Bradshaw is nothing special.

My claim and stat to back it up:

The combination of Jacobs and Bradshaw together is FAR better than Jacobs alone.

Bradshaw is a rookie and only started getting carries near the end of the season. In the last 5 games he missed 1 due to injury but in the other 4 he had carries:

Bills game:
Bradshaw 17 carries, 151 yards, 1 TD
Jacobs 24 carries, 145 yards, 2 TD

=> That is 41 carries. Wear any defense down.

NE game
Bradshaw was injured.

Bucs game
Bradshaw 17 for 66
Jacobs 13 for 34

=> That is 30 carries for 100 yards.. not the greatest average but all those carries break a defense and open up the passing game.

Dallas game
Bradshaw 6 for 34
Jacobs 14 for 54, 1 TD

=> Dallas has a great run defense, they didn't give up a 100 yard rusher until the final game of the season. Yet the combination of Jacobs/Bradshaw had an adequate day running the ball.

Green Bay
Bradshaw 16 for 63, 1 TD
Jacobs 21 for 67, 1 TD

=> That is 37 carries... it wears down the defense and opens up the passing game.

Do you want more stats ?

You have to be joking.
You are saying that Jacobs would have done better agains the Pats if Bradshaw took away half of his carries?
You didnt run the ball against us. Outside of 2 plays, you couldnt run the ball against us.
Now you with this great 'proof'. PROOF that says the Bills suck.
30/100, 20/88, 37/130. None of those games will give you a chance against the Patriots.

God, dude, you can't have it both ways. Either you want to talk about how well the Giants are playing now, or you want to talk about the regular season.

It was you guys that demanded 'stats', I simply did what you demanded.:)

So let me get this straight, you don't want to use regular season stats ?
Or
You do want to use regular season stats ?

Which is it ?

Or

Which is it ?

It is you that seems to want some and ignore others. We are asking you which one.

BTW, the reason that NY was able to rush so much was because NY was able to shut down GB's and Dallas' offenses. If they can hold NE to 20 points, then they deserve to win. But there is some real questions as to whether NY can do so. If NE scores more than 30 points, NY won't be able to run that much and stay in the game.

Last edited:

Or

Which is it ?

I'm fine using both. But what I'm not fine with is you saying the Giants are a much better rushing team with Bradshaw and Jacobs (meaning, late in the season) but then insist on pitting that against rush defense stats for the whole season.

If you want to talk about how the Giants are playing NOW (Jacobs-Bradshaw), compare it to how the Patriots are playing NOW (good run D in the playoffs). If you want to talk about how the Giants played all season, compare it to how the Patriots played all season. Just don't mix and match, it's the very definition of cherry picking, and it's utterly laughable.

If we are talking about running games, and how teams are playing now, why isnt our running game a tremendous advantage? We have run the ball better than the Giants in the playoffs....against better teams.

You have to be joking.
You are saying that Jacobs would have done better agains the Pats if Bradshaw took away half of his carries?

I see you too suffer from "reading too much between the line syndrom".
I am saying the combination of Bradshaw/Jacobs is far far better than
Jacobs alone or Bradshaw alone. The sum is greater than the parts...

In the first game you faced Jacobs alone... this time you won't be so lucky.

You didnt run the ball against us. Outside of 2 plays, you couldnt run the ball against us.
Now you with this great 'proof'. PROOF that says the Bills suck.
30/100, 20/88, 37/130. None of those games will give you a chance against the Patriots.

The Bucs, Pack, and Cowboys all have better run defenses and give up fewer yards per carry compared to the Pats. If the Giants get 37 carries against the Pats looke for close to 150 yards and fairly good convincing win.

I feel there is some chance they can do that against your run defense... the problem is when your offense starts controlling the clock and scoring points you can't afford to keep running the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes